xisto Community
shadowx

Tracking My Stolen Laptop please all read and reply if you can

Free Laptop/Computer Tracking WebsiteTracking My Stolen Laptop

I have created a tool that may help some people track their laptops if they set it up in advance of being stolen. It certainly can't guarantee anything, but it is free and does not require installing software.

My simple tool records your IP address every time your home page in your browser, which you convienently set to a URL provided by the tool.

No personally identifiable information is collected other than what you freely provide as the make, model, serial, and your email address so you may later visit the site and track the laptop if it is turned on and connected to the Internet. There is also no check to make sure the information you enter is correct.

Lastly, the home page is set to our favorite, google. This way, if a thief starts up your browser, he hits our system, reporting your serial, make and model as well as his IP address. The IP can be reverse-looked up and the culprit identified by his ISP.

Feel free to try it and let me know any ideas for improvement or usefullness of this system. I have a comment system on the below link.

More information and the link to the tool:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by Frank Machnick

stolen acer notebookTracking My Stolen Laptop

Acouple of weeks ago, my notebook was stolen with my data modem. I have tried to speak to my network operator(vodacom) and they were unhelpful, so is the police. Knowing that it is possible to track the modem by its imei number, and that the chances of the someone using the unit with another sim card is highly likely, this did not provide any help. What can I do. Does any one know of anything? 

-reply by moatlhudi

Interested ReportTracking My Stolen Laptop

I have read of someone recovering a laptop. It was running a BOINC project, probably SETI@Home. Little did the thief know that when a work unit is done, the computer connects to the BOINC server to report results and get a new work unit. The server records both the MAC number (unique to this computer) and IP number (uniquely leased by an ISProvider).

The ISP can be made, by law enforcement, to present the IP lease records to see who had a IP number lease.

If the ONLY place a thief used the laptop was an open WIFI point,  it's probably too hard to bother tracing. But if they take it home, use it routinely there, well, it's possible to visit them.

-reply by Interested

trace my laptopTracking My Stolen Laptop

Hi dear I had a laptop of lenovo . It got stolen by a thief. Please. Tell my how to get it or trace it.Thanks & regardAditya-reply by aditya

For those of you who own laptops, I strongly urge you take a look at the Prey Project.

The Prey Project is, simply put, a way for you to flag stolen laptops and possibly figure out who stole your laptop and where it is (somewhat). What happens is that you go to the web site, register, and download a small application that you set up and sync with your unique device ID and your account, set up your parameters, and forget about it. If there is ever the chance that your laptop goes missing, you can go online to flag that device as missing, in which the application, which is always "checking in" with a server every X minutes (which you set the interval when you set the program up), will do a multitude of things every X minutes: take a screenshot, use the laptop's built-in webcam to try to take a picture of the suspect, leave a message for the perpetrator (optional), and report its IP address (which leads to the vicinity of where the laptop actually is). It's a pretty amazing program, and I strongly suggest that everyone take a serious look into what the Prey Project can offer you.

Of course, there are a few drawbacks. The laptop obviously has to be online for this to work, but since Prey runs invisibly in the background, the thief will not know unless he or she is savvy enough to shut it down within 2 minutes (which is the shortest interval between actions), and that's IF he or she even knows it's there. The thief could very well just disassemble your laptop and sell it for parts or do a straight format from the get-go, but most thieves keep the laptop for themselves and don't think to take measures to prevent this sort of thing or do an immediate search for personal info on the laptop, which gives Prey enough time to get the information you need. While this may not be pinpoint accuracy in finding your laptop and bringing justice to the person who deserves it, it gives more hope than wringing your hands for days on end, wondering why you ignored that post on Xisto describing something that could at least help you track your stolen laptop. :P

How to track a stolen laptop

Tracking My Stolen Laptop

<p>

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title></title>

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.Org 2.4 (Linux)" />

<style type="text/css"></style></p>

<p>Each network interface card (NIC) has

An unique address called media access control (MAC) address. This

Address can be spoofed by software, but the original address will not

Be changed and can be used to track down stolen laptops. This must be

Done by creating a list of stolen laptops MAC-addresses and software

Checking against this list. I think many end users of stolen laptops

Doesn't even know its stolen and will at some point or another

Deliver it to a computer repair shop or connect to a network with

Laptop tracking software. This is how we can regain at least more

Laptops than we do at the moment, which is basically none. You can help

Out, have a look at http://hitthebutton.org/

For more information.</p>

<p><em>-reply by Tor Arne</em></p>

Wow didn't know that.

Basically, if it's stolen, along with laptops, mobiles, jewellery and many other valuable items, there is a very low chance of recovery. As someone said, you will have to regrettably forget the fact that it is GONE!

However,don't be fooled by the police and insurance company suspecting anything. As long as your witness/or other testimony makes sense, you should keep your ground to the very end.

Grab a piece of paper, talk to a lawyer, find one for free, if you cannot afford one. Look through the terms of the policy, find holes, find holes in your story, fix them, see what you can do to make this issue turn on your opponent, complain against the Police officer/commissioner or detective for negligence or fast judgement. The more you fight your ground, the more your defence becomes stronger.

Make sure you have things in writing, never make a court statement without writing, write it down and make a speech when you testify. You cannot afford to mumble information in a 'irregular' speech so revise!! Be precise in any statement and close those holes.

The bottom line is, little defence but just assumptions gets the opposition no where. The court rules on evidence and witness testimony. If they lack that, then you shouldn't worry too much other than getting a general of the above!

:P GOOD LUCK!

re; filmdesireTracking My Stolen Laptop

That sounds great, but what if the thief just changes out the network card?? That will change the MAC address right? Also will a MAC address show up on the web through a router? For instance, on my home network, the only mac address that shows up on the internet is my primary pc, or maybe even the router MAC number, not real sure about this. I have been told that computers behind a router, that do not connect directly to the internet, that there is no way to trace this. Plus they could have used software to change the MAC address , or just change out the wireless net card.  I basically have been told unless I have tracking software on it that more than likely, I will never see my laptop again. And even if I had tracking software on it ...If it has been reformatted before it connected to the internet it would be useless. The only solid way I see to do this is to have something like a lowjack installed...Something that powers itself and is not reliant on the pc battery to work.

I had my laptop stolen about 2 months ago and have been scouring the internet trying to figure out a way to trace it,  with no luck yet. Microsoft told me they cannot stop a valid serial number from updating. And they could not, by law trace a serial number to a certain IP address.  Live and learn I guess. 

If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

-reply by eric

im stuck!Tracking My Stolen Laptop

my friend borrow my laptop and bring it home.. The day he want to return back to me, laptop was been stoled.He said, he doing his work untill 4 am..When he woke up at 7, the laptop was gone, he susupect his own sister take it,, but he refuse to ask his sister.. I want my laptop back anyhow..I try to help him to find way to get my laptop back,because he is not from rich family. But, he never try to help me to find my laptop. So, I want to know how to find it?... How if the laptop had been sold to laptop seller??.. I don't have any idea to settle this thing, and I hate him..

-reply by zaza

Stolen my acer lapsTracking My Stolen Laptop

On 16 feb 2010, my laptop was stolen. The first and last laps my father bought facing lots of trouble. I came to know by using mac address we can track it if connected to net. But I have no idea how to get my mac.

-question by Simon