xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

Stressed Plants Cry For Help

I was informed of this by PM, and i decided to look it up. Found several articles about it. It has been discovered that plants are capable of crying out for help.

IT IS now possible to hear plants scream. Physicists at the University of Bonn have developed a device that listens to the stress responses of household plants. They hope it will reveal what makes so many geranium seedlings die after the long trip to Germany from their nurseries in the Mediterranean.

You can continue the story here: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15320720-800-stressed-plants-cry-for-help/
What do you guys/gals think about this?
Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

I think that is really weird thing, I mean plants don't usually cry! Poor little plants, they maybe have been crying for help for millions of years and it is know that we find that out thanks to advanced tecnologies and people working at University of Bonn. So I think that the agriculture in all the world will get better and better because of discovering this thing.

Edited by Hadi (see edit history)

I think that is really weird thing, I mean plants don't usually cry! Poor little plants, they maybe have been crying for help for millions of years and it is know that we find that out thanks to advanced tecnologies and people working at University of Bonn. So I think that the agriculture in all the world will get better and better because of discovering this thing.

I think if plants could talk...they would be COMPLAINING......imagining the poor forests that are logged everyday and the trees that are being cut down for furniture,houses,etc. Most of the time, we neglect our plants the most, we forget to water, fertilize, we let pests eat them, or sometimes we overwater. Most plants are exposed to the elements ,freezing cold, or blazing hot. One thing I know for sure, in my next life I don't want to be a plant.

OMG! I feel so shocked, just remembering the other day when I saw an abandoned auto dealership. There are some plants in the middle of the area where cars used to sit and wait for somone to buy them. They havent been watered in a long time and they look like they are trying to reach outside the dealership for some light or water.If someone probably used that device on them, I wonder what they would be screaming. That device is some good technology, I wonder what other types of species can scream. Imagine screaming fish, or insects.

That's really interesting, plants could be smarter than we think :lol: Not to mention if it became a commonplace device to check if plants were under too much stress, a garden would be more efficient and easier to maintain (i.e. no need for excessive watering). I guess the main use for it though is for commercial seedling transportation (which probably doesn't explore some of the more creative possibilities :rolleyes:)

This most certainly would be bad news for vegitarians! After all the guff they give meat eaters for causing suffering to the poor animals, if they discover that plants have feelings and emotions too I guess humans will just have to learn to survive by eating plastic or become extinct!

This most certainly would be bad news for vegitarians! After all the guff they give meat eaters for causing suffering to the poor animals, if they discover that plants have feelings and emotions too I guess humans will just have to learn to survive by eating plastic or become extinct!

or maybe stop complaining about non-vegetarians :) but yes i do agree with sheepdog, my vegetarian friends are not going to like this... no more ignorance so no more bliss...

Plants are inanimate but they are as alive as us and have surely all the traits of life - consciousness, communication, sensations, hunger, reproduction and a yearning to survive as long as possible... these aspects could be too primitive or too evolved, we dont know... we have a lot learn about them still. They have been there from time immemorial, from billions of years before an ape even thought of climbing down the tree and they have survived through calamities, nature's brutal ongoing assault, iceages, poleshifts, comets, asteroids, catastrophes of cosmic proportions and still stand proud and dominant all around.... they provide food, shelter, fuel, medicine to not only 'HUMANS' but to all life on land we know... but we still refuse to acknowledge them as the real owners of the planet.... its a fact.. we are the immigrants and probably are one of a class... so its high time we (if not hear, atleast) understand their screams.... and learn to co-exist in a symbiotic harmony.... I mean cmon we still got to eat something... or we'll starve to death (rocks are not a recommended substitute) and logic says we got eat something that is/was living... flora or fauna... so fine... consume whatever you like veggies, eggs, fish, meat but realise that that's enough, your hunger is satisfied... beyond that is only greed...