xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyRob

New Type Of Hard Drive That Could Solve Data Problems

hi guys and girls i was reading the Windows XP magazine the other day when i came accross this.

JUST ADD WATERThe computer of the future has an unusual new ingredient: water.
Scientists have discoverd that adding water to there existing nanotechnology makes it a reliable way to store millions of gigabytes in tiny spaces: 12,800,00 can be squashed into a single square centimetre.
The system uses minuscule ferroletric wires, the magnetic polarity of which can be flipped to store binary data. Until now they weren't stable enough to be reliable, but researchers at Drexel University in the US discoverd they could make things much more reliable by immersing them in water. Because the wires are so tiny - around 100,000 times finer than a human hair - they are exponetially more efficent at storing data than the current optical discs. They require so little space you could store 32,600,000 fulllength DVD movies on something the size of a USB stick or create a MPŁ player that would play for 100 millennia without repeating a single song.
Obviously that raises problems for battery manufacturers, but they have a while to work out a solution: scientists are still working out how they'd be able to manfacture such drives and indeed how u'd be able to read and write the data from them

this would solve the worlds storage and data problems and if trap 17 had a few of these they could offer a lot more space.

i know that as soon as they come out im gonna replace every single one of my servers with these babys!

Well when I first read your post I though "I want one!", but now that I'm thinking about it, they will most likely charge you an arm and a leg just to get something as simple as a pen stick. My main question is what the world would you do with all that space in the first place? Its not like the normal person has 32,600,000 DVD's or has enough music to play for 100 millennia. I can understand for servers and stuff, but even still...thats alot of space. :rolleyes:

woow, meaning 32 million GB? Woow that's like 32,000 TB. If it's mass produced easily then it wouldn't cost that much and that's what I'm hoping for. I can easily host servers and I wouldn't have to look for a big room to store them. Right now it's pointless to have that much space.

I really won't believe something like this until there is proof of the concept..To me this is like the flying cars we were supposed to have by 1990, and then the 2000's, and yet where are they? Nowhere.Too many concepts come out, but so few actually have proof behind them.If this does turn out to be true, though, I would definitely like to have one, :)