xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Google Spreadsheets: A Threat To Excel? Googles latest release: Spreadsheet - A web based Excel

Ugggg, this is the second time I've read about the wonderful Google Spreadsheet Program, but for the life of me I can't find it! Can someone post a link to it please? I love Google's toys, and I've been looking for something just like this. I do a lot of Excel data-keeping, and am constantly copying to my flash drive, and then back again....Thanks,//Captain.Jerry/

Captain, it is avaiable from Google But, as usual it is not available for signups. You can put your email address and you'll get the invitation..I got it fast...with in 2-3 hrs. So, go ahead and sign up :rolleyes:

I think that the idea of an *invitation only* BETA product intrigues people to try the product and once they are accepted/invited, the user feels that Google values them for letting them test the software. Also, without ANY advertising, Google was able to generate enough media hype about its new service. So, I think that the whole invitation only idea is a marketing gimmick that Google is using to get FREE media attention and publicity.Until mayank pointed out that Gmail has been in BETA status for TWO years, I did not realize this!I think that Gmail is pretty well developed to be established into a STABLE version, but again, I think Google is using marketing tricks to keep people coming. You might have noticed how almost EVERY forum had a thread about Gmail invites, this just seems like a subliminal marketing gimmick to me :rolleyes::lol:-Paul

Way cool, I signed up, thanks so much, it'll be nice not to have to copy copy copy to my flash drive!

Okay, I got approval and set up a few of my most used spreadsheets.

I wonder what the final product is going to be like, the current version will do what I want it to, but it does leave a lot of room for fixes, and enhancements. I have no doubt that Google will end up with a phenomenal product. Thanks again for the link.

Hey Just thought I would let everyone know - Google Sheets. It's still in beta. But it looks extremely promising. Oh, and could a mod create a subforum for this under Google Services? :) And one last thing - anyone has an account at Writely? The web word processor thing that Google recently acquired? If you do, I'd be eternally grateful if you could send me an invitation. PM me for my email address! Thanks and have fun with Google spreadsheets :(

Notice from mayank:
This topic is discussed already in HOT NEWS FIR section. Please make sure that you search the forum before making posts. Merged in the main topic

I already have an account and i also built a spreadsheet, it is very good and it is going to take some couple of thousands of microsoft clients, that is for sure!

This topic should be in Google Labs. Topic is reported.

Anyways, I have Google Spreadsheets sign up and ready to use. I don't use Spreadsheets much, but it sure beats Microsoft Excel.

OpenOffice 2.0 office applications will be combined with Google Services in order to take over Microsoft Office. Also see post Google Office Soon.

that's being abit harsh reporting the topic for not being 110% correctly placed. it's in google misc. category seems ok.The onyl thing I didn't like about it is that you can't switch from speadsheets to other parts of your google account i.e. sitemaps etc.Hopefully these free projects will help bring down the price of microsoft word.

This is a handy little feature as a Google service. Very easy to use. Its exellent for editing by two or more people in real time, this feature alone can save lots of time rather than emailing spreadsheet back and forth.The Google search and translator when in a cell is also another usefull feature not available in Excel. I am going to be using it a lot for sharing a spreadsheet I need to make for other people.

I didn?t know about spreadsheets. I suppose they are in beta testing. Google do things slowly but this way they make sure that when they launch the final version it?ll be almost perfect. ?The first step to their office-alike suite that they said they?ll launch online? I just can?t wait, google always surprise me.

Hey guys have you checked this fresh oven Pizza just invented from Google Labs. These are spreadsheets and they are the most wonderful thing you can even think of from the business point of view as they will save nearly $500 to using and sharing the .XLS files. Has anyone tried it. Here is the link:  Google Sheets

Try it out it may be useful to you. Google spent 2 billion $$ to make it stand up.

Notice from mayank:
This topic is discussed already in HOT NEWS FIR section. Please make sure that you search the forum before making posts. Merged in the main topic

There have already been two topics started about Google Spreadsheets already, and Google Spreadsheets isn't exactly "fresh oven Pizza".. its been out for a while now :)Before you post a new topic, please search the forums first to avoid duplicates!

The only use I can really see myself using a Google spreadsheet thats pretty much web-based, is if i was gonna take my laptop on a business trip and if the other people that were gonna be at the meeting were going to have loads of data to put into it, being able to share the edits on it is great, and if the office doesn't have a network set up between the computers, then I can see it being a major plus. Another major plus is the pleasure of not having to use any space on the computer for large files or having to worry about what all programs you have running at the same time because on my laptop, its about all it can do to run excel and thats without running much of anything else with it. I guess it just depends on the users needs basically..

I'm a google fan... I've being using gmail for a long long time ago and I really don't wanna change it... I've seen Google Desktop and it's very usefull, not currently using it as I'm facing some problems on my windows and I'm going to format it soon, I hope so at least xD, I'm going to take a look at this google's spreadsheets which seems to be very practical... Thanks for the direct link.