xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
silverkaiser

Emulator + Roms No need spend money also can play console games

But remember, emulation is illegal, except for testing porpouses. :lol:

Not quite, emulators are perfectly legal because they are programmed using reverse engineering. It is the roms that are illegal because creating and publishing roms cannot be done by reverse engineering but only through a pirate copy infringing the licensor's rights.
I remember when the first N64 emulators were released Nintendo forced down many sites offering N64 roms. I think by now they don't care for N64, SNES and NES roms offered in the net. You can find a bazillion of them even on non-anonymous sites. Some sort of a legal grey zone, as long as nobody is offended you can download and use them.

Of course it is always better to own the games. Actually I am glad the new Wii offers retro games on its virtual console and I already paid a fortune to download many of the old classics :D

Does anybody emulate the C64, Amiga or older PCs? Many of the good old games can be found on abandonware sites and still make a lot of fun to play. For older PC games I recommend DosBox as it runs Dos games with sound and at reasonable speed (meaning not too fast). Fot links you can PM me, though I believe it is perfectly legal to download from these sites. Of course you can always google ^_^

emulators are only good till PS1Now, even PS2 emulation is not perfect (you cant play any games at full fps i think)So, it will be a real long time before you can emulate PS3. You may need a real strong sys like quadcore/DX10 card to play.. LoLIn the end, emulators will be forever behind consoles, so if you want to play the latest and greatest console games, buy the console!

In the end, emulators will be forever behind consoles, so if you want to play the latest and greatest console games, buy the console!

Exactly, emulators will always be behind. They don't intend to be up to date. They are being used to revive games you cannot play anymore (because it is a retro game) or for some it is the best substitute for a real console because they lack the money to buy one.

Many users of emulators are PC gamers, they'd never buy a console nor console games. For free (and sometimes ilegally) they can however play medium aged console games in addition to their pc games. So in the end it is the pc gamers laughing at console gamers. At least, I haven't seen a console seriously running pc games lately...

Out of a technical point of view emulators often run games even better than the original mashine. Take the N64 emulator: On your tv screen you could run the game at the natural NTSC or PAL resolution, which is something around 700x500 pixels. The emulator on the pc allows to run the same games at a resolution of 1600x1200 pixels with Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering activated. That is pretty neat, don't you think?

For one thing I always buy the console and don't emulate: The "collector" in me. For me it is great to have all these small consoles and collect all the game-modules and cds. Somehow it satisfies more than having a game folder on a harddrive...

Yeah roms are only legal if you are using the rom as a backup of the game that you own yourself, and if not you can only use it for 24 hours. Although really how is anyone going to find out that you are playing rom games that you dont have, and really no one cares. Roms are great though and with the controller for the pc it makes it even better. I know they have out now like ps2 emulators and what not but i found it to be a waste of time. Theres no good emulators out, your computer takes a strain when using it and really i have only found very few roms that are even available for it. Well i guess we will just have to wait until it gets as old as the SNES and then there will be a bunch of games available.

What is really cool about the emulators and roms is that you can play them anywhere you can have a pc, even a laptop on the road. Which is something you cant do with a console, except the portable ones. I know they are illegal but when it comes to playing the old classic games... Where are you supposed to get a Nintendo Entertainment System now days anyways?Oh... yeah. I forgot that theres a Nintendo Wii now.....

No need spend money also can play console games

Emulator + Roms

Despite what a lot of people are saying, emulators themselves are NOT illegal. They are actually created, so the person can actually claim that it's their own system.

The ROMs themselves, however, are illegal unless you already have bought a copy of the actual game, or the game is no longer being sold. Yes, that makes every Super Nintendo and N64 game legal, no matter if you bought it or not, since they aren't being sold anymore. However, with the coming of the Wii, those ROMs are becoming illegal again because now you can buy the game on the Wii.

ROMs are very convenient and I am not discouraging you from using them, however please refrain from using ROMs unless you already own a copy of the game or the makers of the game will not have their copyright infringed. People of companies make games to get themselves money, and if you're paying someone else to get a ROM who won't give the company who made it some money or if you're playing it for free without it being some sort of demo or somebody had already previously bought it and you return it to them (you know, like borrowing a friend's game) then yes, you are cheating on the company.

-reply by Grekkikay

They are legalEmulator + Roms

Roms are illegal, but if you own the console and game, emulators are legal under terms of fair use.

-reply by jmccain

Halo 3 on pc HELP!!!!!Emulator + Roms

Can anyone help me on:-

How to use xbox 360 emulator to run Halo 3 on pc??

many are using this technique...If anyone know how then...PLEASE be an angel and email be the step in detail guys

-reply by rooney91