xisto Community
BWiZ

Linux Or Unix Witch one is your fav

Linux Is Not UniXthats where the name comes from. Unix is older, much older than Linux so you can't really say Linux is more stable. FreeBSD is probably one of the most stable systems out there and a favorite of corporate servers.But I could never get used to the small differences between the two and always ended up using Linux.edit: ah you mention gentoo pbrugge, now that is an impressive distro!

I have been to FreeBSD, AIX and Linux. Linux is simply my favorite. AIX gave me headache, FreeBSD is "orthodox" and stable, but does not come with so many useful packages. Linux has the best support from the community. Problems can be sorted out simply by googling. That's why I love it.

i'm not a unix/linux/etc freak, but i've used both of them before, and i know no difference. that said, my view is that linux is a flavor of vanilla unix. kind of like HP's unix is a bit different than IBMs unix (ie AIX). quite honestly, i can't see how anyone could hate unix and love linux - just isn't logical unless you are totally into like 8086 architecture's on such a detail. i can understand a unix person hating windows ... not the other way aruond.corporations going towards linux more, regularly go with other flavors due to support arranngements for software packages, etc with big vendors - ie IBM.

In my school I am required to learn how to use Red Hat Linux... After all most versions of Linux is free to use. I've never seen a free Unix in the world...If you ask me the most important difference between Linux and Unix, My answer would be "Price"... You'll grab Linux when you want a free OS.

Linux and Unix really isn't all that different when using command line... you get yourself a book on UNIX administration, and you can guarantee that most things in it -will- work on most Linux systems... though the layout of files will differ from system to system.It's really when you start getting into the GUI desktop environments, then it starts getting different, like GNOME or KDE...

yes, that's true, because unix is like windows, commercial os, but what da hek u talking about that linux is no so much stable like unix??

MacOS X uses linux kernel? how come that they decided to use linux kernel instead of using some commercial kernels? because linux supported G4 and other processors, so it's all about support for devices, processors, linux is much unix like, it has all funcionality like unix, the only difference is that u don't have some commercial aplications for linux, like MS office for linux. Once i installed MS Explorer, on Solaris (SUN OS 5.6), and it's worked better than Netscape Navigator.

It was 5 years ago, Netscape didn't supported CSS, and Explorer did, and Explorer really worked better and faster than Netscape navigator on unix. So, it's all about writing good software, i use evry kind of OS, windows is most common, but i also like very much linux, for networking, and unix. MAC OS for graphic, because it's made for DTP ;), and really great for that

Linux Is Not UniX

thats where the name comes from. Unix is older, much older than Linux so you can't really say Linux is more stable. FreeBSD is probably one of the most stable systems out there and a favorite of corporate servers.

But I could never get used to the small differences between the two and always ended up using Linux.

edit: ah you mention gentoo pbrugge, now that is an impressive distro!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also u have many linux distributions, every of that distributions do their job very good...Like live distributions KNOPPIX.
Slackware, RedHat (FC2), then Mandrake (graphic is very good), then Debian (wich comes with most packages...then Suse (wich is commercial), then if u like wireless wardriving, Warlinux...and so on, so on...
try to look on some desktops:
linux desktop

or this is novells commercial linux, wich is good also:

novell linux desktop