xisto Community
Oxford

Passwords That Should Never Be Used How to create strong passwords and hacksafe passwords

Any family related name, or just some plain pets name eg rover123 is far too easy to be guessed. Especially if you use a number that means something and/or known to others.

Here is a link to a Password Generator : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Source Code here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope this helps...

Password generators may be fun to play with, but they sure are not useful. Like rvalkass said, it is much easyer to remember a sentance than tK(#n6Kw2z.

Also that Microsoft password strength checker is a joke. *8IiY^jK is a strong password but neigowpagjioeamdklbewiqoerweoqyirosyireopiytdringiwoeaniinvkdlvdsanioveahgieoaureiowqyuqwetuip is not according to it.

Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

For another suggestion try using very special characters... ones you can only get to by holding ALT and then typing in numbers on the keypad... like this...

{żäilikepie(that is: ALT+123, ALT+0191, ALT+132, ilikepie)

It creates a very small chance that anyone will even guess to use those... and it will become very difficult to actually figure out what keys to press,etc... it makes it even more secure by including a random phrase such as ilikepie.

Also that Microsoft password strength checker is a joke. *8IiY^jK is a strong password but neigowpagjioeamdklbewiqoerweoqyirosyireopiytdringiwoeaniinvkdlvdsanioveahgieoaur

eiowqyuqwetuip is not according to it.

Well, actually, I think it uses a simplified version of the KDE algorithm that I posted on page 3. From what I see it works like this:

The base strength rating is 0.

1. If the password contains at least 8 letters, regardless of case, add 1 to the strength rating.

2. If the password contains at least 1 number, add 1 to the strength rating.

3. If the password contains at least 1 special character, add 1 to the strength rating.

4. If the password is longer than 14 characters, add 1 to the strength rating.

5. If the password contains less than 8 of any type of character, subtract 5 from the strength rating.

6. If the password contains only 1 type of character, subtract 5 from the strength rating.

The rating is considered as follows:

< 1: Weak

1: Medium

2: Strong

> 2: Best

A pretty stupid system, if you ask me.