xisto Community
Gondero Werkus

A Substitute For Gas And Oil In Cars an idea brought by Back to the Future part 2

If anyone has seen the movie I'm referring to then you realize how good of an idea it really was in the first place.In the movie a conventional car that a normal person would drive down the road today was transformed so that if you put garbage and other misc items similar to food and such into the energy drive in the car it would use a sort of fusion to create a bunch of energy to power to car. Adn the poof energy from things you were originally going to thorw away anyway, so why not use it for your car?I was seriously thinking about the concept the other day and I can't think of a good way to implement that idea yet because I'm not sure if the science needed for the operation could be contained safely in a small area like that. What do you guys think?

As far as we know, you can't just throw garbage into a blender and get fusion. Fusion is a very complicated process that requires hydrogen, or an isotope thereof. It would be possible, however, to use microbes to convert compost into something that could be used as fuel, but the process would be slow and inefficient.

If anyone has seen the movie I'm referring to then you realize how good of an idea it really was in the first place.
In the movie a conventional car that a normal person would drive down the road today was transformed so that if you put garbage and other misc items similar to food and such into the energy drive in the car it would use a sort of fusion to create a bunch of energy to power to car. Adn the poof energy from things you were originally going to thorw away anyway, so why not use it for your car?

I was seriously thinking about the concept the other day and I can't think of a good way to implement that idea yet because I'm not sure if the science needed for the operation could be contained safely in a small area like that. What do you guys think?

Also, it would take multiple different processes to seperate each item to a fuel to be used by the car. It is a good idea, but science is nowhere near where it needs to be to even dream to achieve this. You could, however, burn all the fuels to power a boiler, but that's been thought of long ago.

Still, all organic materials are composed of different substances, and it takes different methods to convert these compounds into the substances they came from. Also, most of these compounds, once broken down, are almost useless as they have almost no use in any type of fuel. Back To The Future is a movie. If we even can achieve this, it will be a long time from now.

Currently, nuclear fusion takes far more energy to start the process than the final amount of energy you get out at the end, so is impractical for anything. Also, I don't think you can do it with bananas :)However, there are ways to collect the methane from piles of rubbish, but burning that has just the same effect as buring fossil fuels.

I think a more realisticly implimentation for energy that would power cars would be making use of solar, wind, and water energy. Systems of sorts could very easily be put into regular homes: Solar panels, small windmills on tops of houses, and even small turbines from water flowing off the top of roofs, could be stored in a battery-like format and provide the necessary energy for powering motor vehicles.

There is nothing to replace gas and oil even in the future, what we could think of is whether we could preserve oil more and how to use productively and of course gas production could be increased too. In some countries like India CNG - Compressed Natural Gas is used as fuel instead of any other vehicular oil like petrol and diesel; the air becomes very clean and pollution level too drops down drastically. I would always recommend more of such thing to be produced than the method you are talking right now. There is no alternative huge enough to replace oil but supplement can be found like we have seen in compress natural gas.

I have to disagree, Dragonfly. Eventually, there will be better batteries and better, emission-free methods of harvesting electricity. When that time comes, it may be most efficient to have completely battery-powered cars.

Actually we are on a planit that has a compleatly reusable energy source that is extreamly well suited for use in cars of all kinds, this energy source is so abundant that we could never ever use is all up, mainly because it is compleatly renewable. This source is ordinary water, yes that stuff that covers the majority of our planet. When water is taken appart it becomes hydrogen and oxygen that is the cleanest burning fuel there is and guess what happens to hydrogen and oxygen when it is burned..... thats right it turns back into water. The only problem with taking water appart is that it takes a large amount of electricity to do it, it is called electrolisis, now we need more than ever to put more research into finding a better way to take water appart to have an un exaustable supply of clean energy but what happens is we keep trying to do it the only way we know how and in turn we are getting nowhere. This is caused by the lack of inventers in todays world that will try just about anything to achieve the final goal, a good example of this is, just one gallon of water if compleatly taken appart would supply enough gasses to drive a car with 25 MPH over 500 miles, so why isn't more effort being put into this research when we need it so bad! I have been experimenting with different methods of separating water with some success but I still have a long way to go, but if I can do it why is it not at the top of the energy research list? We need to put more resources and money into this research because we need it so bad.

Heh if we had solar panels and stuff on all the cars and houses there would probably be enough energy to power everything necessary. When energy isn't being used it can be stored in batteries or something, which could be used when the sun isn't prominent. There would need to be backup things as well, though, in case of lots of clouds or something.

Versital, there IS pleanty of research being put into hydrogen fuel cells. The problem is that the results don't look promising and the fuel cells made thus far just aren't efficient enough for a vehicle.Matto, that may work eventually, but right now batteries are heavy and they take too long to charge (and don't hold enough charge) to make solar powered vehicles truely efficient.

If anyone has seen the movie I'm referring to then you realize how good of an idea it really was in the first place.
In the movie a conventional car that a normal person would drive down the road today was transformed so that if you put garbage and other misc items similar to food and such into the energy drive in the car it would use a sort of fusion to create a bunch of energy to power to car. Adn the poof energy from things you were originally going to thorw away anyway, so why not use it for your car?

I was seriously thinking about the concept the other day and I can't think of a good way to implement that idea yet because I'm not sure if the science needed for the operation could be contained safely in a small area like that. What do you guys think?

Concidering what kind of garbage we humans have, i don't think it could create any energy. Here is an idea, get off your *bottom*'s and actually walk somewhere, ride your bike you don't need a car to go a block to the store...really it will save you the extra 10 pounds you gain per year, and the extra 10 dollars you spend every other day.

the idea in the "Back to the Future 2" is so futuristic that i can't comment if that is possible.but there are other convenient ways to replace the use of oil and gasolines. i saw it on tv that a Filipino invented a car that uses water to make the engine run instead of gas. But i'm not so sure if it was developed fully. But i discovered that he sold his invention to some other asian countries because the philippine government didn't gave his invention enough attention and didn't gave him enough budget to fully develop him brilliant invention.