xisto Community
Wolves

Designing A Website That Can Find Music Through Sound. I dont have nearly the programming knowledge required.

Ok. I have recently thought of a great idea for a website!

This website would be a site designed solely (SP?) for the purpose of finding music. No, it wouldn't find the song you are looking for by the name of it (why then would you be looking for it in the first place? :)), it would find the song by the tune of it.

Users would enter basic notes into a prompt for the search function and upon submit, the site would retrieve the most relevant matches. This could all be achieved by converting the basic notes into a text format and then comparing it with all of the other songs listed. (I did not think up the text idea, one of the people I know who are interested in development of this site did)

Also, the website would include a submit function. Again, users would submit basic notes along with song information.

The users, then could upload the actual song and then they would be brought into an editor. The users would have to pick a defined length of the song to use for a sample. The sample would be used to ensure that the song that has been retrieved is, in fact, the one they were looking for.

I would hope that the site could somehow become merged with one of the more popular music download sites as I would hope to include a link to download from that site. Also, somehow, I would like to include the function to login to their account on the music website to use for actual download, on the music searching one. And also, maybe include the ability to create an account for that website on the music finding one. Oh, and also, users should be able to create a free account, so they can submit and keep track, delete, or edit their submissions.

Also, one other basic things to include would be a forum, for discussion of the music and complaints/ compliments of the service.

I realize that this was not created too well, so if you need anything clarified, then feel free to ask.

And, just in case anybody is interested, they may go to the forum I have made for the development of it.

[LINK]

Haha that's a cool idea. I was just thinking of something to add to it... have the user record and upload them singing the song as accurately as they can (not everyone can read/write music... though i can :)), and have some software on the website or server determine the approximate notes, and then select some songs for the user to choose from...But my idea is hella complicated. Yours is much more do-able.

It sounds like it would be an expensive venture to set up, not only from the programming side, but also due to the fact that for your service to be of any worth, you'd have to have a huge range of songs in your database. And for you to have them in your database, you'd have to have purchased them otherwise you'd be committing music piracy (you may also have to gain permission from record companies to use their music in this way). So you'd be looking at purchasing thousands, maybe millions of songs.I s'pose you could set up a deal to use somebody else's database of songs, but you'd need to have a good business plan in hand when you went looking for partners so that it makes it seem worthwhile for the other party to get involved.

There is actualt already a site like that, I'm now sure exacly what's it's called, something like musicopedia http://www.musipedia.org/. I'll look in a minute, it mainly deals with classical music because of copyright and the easy findablility of sheet music the authors could import. I can't remember but I believe it is kinda like open source so you can add your own songs. It works on a patter of high low notes because most of the public can't identify what key a song is in or what note they are hearing at the moment, but most can tell if one note is higher then the other.

I found the site: http://www.musipedia.org/

It would appear that they added some new stuff since I was there, including the ability to hum the tune and search for it!!

Edited by moldboy (see edit history)

Even if you didn't want to create a site with that idea, or you couldn't afford to aqquire all those copyrights of millions of sounds, you could create that project for your own entertainment, or at least, to gain some knowledge.You could do a program that compares a song to some songs in a database and output the result, but all I just heard (on the programming side) is that you would have to compare the frequencies of the songs in some way (maybe some type of bit-by-bit comparison), but your little program would get pretty popular just for the sake of knowledge and originality to create it.

Nice link, Moldboy.The problem is that computers don't work with raw sounds, they work with the data that makes up those sounds. They can't distinguish between different parts of music like we can (for example, one could single out a certain instrument in a band if one concentrated, but this would be very difficult, if not impossible, for a computer to accomplish). However, if one writes enough complicated algorithms, the computer can simulate being able to understand music, and in this case, that's good enough. That's exactly why screen readers have that monotone, Stephen-Hawking-stereotypical voice.

there's a new kid on the block dealing with this one:
http://www.midomi.com/index.php?action=main.noscript

Search with your Voice: Search for music by singing or humming part of a song. All you need is a microphone.Search with your Keyboard: Enter a song, artist or midomi performer.

just visit the site for more details on site description. ;) and it's not limited to classical tunes either, it has a much wider range of music you can search, even the contemporary ones (or so it seems). well, it's a community too, so it will grow with time.

They had a phone number for that in the UK. 2580 and hold it up towards music and it will text you back the name and song also the album it is from. But to have on a website, that will be quite hard. Not impossible, but very hard. First you would have to make a program then list of all the songs. But good luck if your going to try it.