xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JasperIk

Liking Things Before They Are Famous...

Let me start off by saying i tend to follow the sound of my own beat, its not that i am like that to be different, it is just how I am. Since elementary school I have worn mostly black, by junior high my whole wardrobe was almost all black. People made fun of me, and it sucked. But then by 8th grade, everyone was wearing black and listening to the music i had already been listening to, and suddenly i wasn't 'dark' enough. But anyway back to the original point of the topic.So I will use Hayden Christensen as an example, he used to be on this show called Higher Ground, and I watched it almost religiously but then it was cancelled. Well i didnt really see him untill news of star wars, i was happy but then when it came out everyone was soooo into him. And i thought it was funny because i would talk to them, and be like oh well did you ever watch higher ground? They never did and yet they are the biggest fans.Maybe i am just selfish and want to be the biggest fan of whatever I like, and i dont want people to be a bigger fan then me. But it does frusrate me, liking something for so long and then having some 'newbie' come and act like they are number one. And they act like your the faker, its just ridiculous. Im trying hard to explain it,and i hope you get me...

i do understand exactly what you mean, a lot of music i get into is played on the pop stations 6-12 months after i've started listening to it and all of a sudden its "cool" the worst part is the people usually have no idea why hey like it, its just the "in" thing at the timer. People these days can't make up their own mind about anything, they have to be told what is cool and then they like that, just because everyone else does.theres isn't much you can do about it, just ignore these people knowing you're better than them and that they'll forget about it when the next cool thing comes along

Exactly. Peopel will like what is either different or popular. And those so called "fans" ARE fake. But hey, who are we to judge whether or not they are true fans or not. I mean, if you trult liek something then by all means support it. But if you are liking somethign just because you want to be part of the crowd, then it takes away the specialness of the something, ya know?

If you like something before it is a fad you will get picked on for sure. People are just intimidated by/think people who are different from them in any way (including the way you dress). It is human nature to pick on people who are different and its been like that forever. Cavement probably made fun of the first one who learned how to make pigments for clothing and now it is used by all. These things just come up in life and the best thing is to just ignore it because if people are not getting a reaction its boring to bug someone.

We're often so caught up in conforming with the norms of society that we forget the importance of maintaining our personal integrity.Why should we follow a path when we can easily create our own?

It always amuses me when people try their best not to conform to standards because not conforming is the cool thing to do. Its like they're conforming to nonconformity, which is a complete contradiction on their part. Thats what most of the people who follow random trends like goth and stuff like that are doing. As an example, camoflauge material has now taken over the mall here. Before, you had a pretty hard time finding anything with that type of design, so it wasn't so widespread. But with the increase in people conforming to the opposite of what they used to, camoflauge stuff is everywhere. It kindof takes away from the look of the people who wore it before. But on the other hand, if you don't wear the stuff, and you do actually like it, just because everyone is wearing it, you're just as bad as them..I really confuse myself with this stuff. The best idea is to just do what you want, whether that be a certain type of music or clothes or speach.. If you change because of other people, you're not really doing anyone much good, especially not yourself.

I think the whole fad thing is frustrating...(well, why else would I be here). In my school about a quarter of the population of kids going there would consider themselves 'goth' or 'punk' or atleast considered that by other people, and the other people that arent considered thos two things point and laugh at those people who are, and all they say is that their just going along with the times, when actualality, some of them are trying to be so different they became...part of the group again, altho this doesnt go for all, really. I dunno if Im making sense here, but yeah, thats about it. The people who try to hard to be different dont even like what they're wearing, or like the music they listen to, or even like what they do! Everything just seems to be totally fake, except of course for some people, not everyone is follower...and it just gets all confusing

Ya everyone I think goes through that feeling once or more times in their lives. I have had that happen to me before and it sort of sucks but you know there really isn't anything you can do about it because other people like them too and then it gets big but you can't say you were the creator because there probably was before you and you just don't know it. I do think it is annoying when people push in on your territory as if you were never there. Just another part of life.

I can totally relate to you.. I was wearing the girly pink before anyone was waering it.. had been wearing it since mid school.. it was a nice shirt .. too.. i used topimp it out all the time.. but folks would make fun of me cause i wopre it.. and especially because it was pink..But now you have all these famous people wearing them.. and ofcourse everyone else is wearing them now.. and even the people that made fun of me at one point are wearing pink.. yeah.. all i know was I was wearing that *BLEEP* first..