xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
trancenation

Thought Blu-ray Was Impressive, Think Again. HVD

Simply Amazing.

Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an advanced optical disc technology still in the research stage which would greatly increase storage over Blu-ray and HD DVD optical disc systems. It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby two lasers, one red and one blue-green, are collimated in a single beam. The blue-green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc while the red laser is used as the reference beam and to read servo information from a regular CD-style aluminium layer near the bottom. Servo information is used to monitor the position of the read head over the disc, similar to the head, track, and sector information on a conventional hard disk drive. On a CD or DVD this servo information is interspersed amongst the data. A dichroic mirror layer between the holographic data and the servo data reflects the blue-green laser while letting the red laser pass through. This prevents interference from refraction of the blue-green laser off the servo data pits and is an advance over past holographic storage media, which either experienced too much interference, or lacked the servo data entirely, making them incompatible with current CD and DVD drive technology [2]. These disks have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information, which is approximately 6000 times the capacity of a CD-ROM, 830 times the capacity of a DVD and 160 times the capacity of single-layer Blu-ray Discs. The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s. Optware is expected to release a 200 GB disc in early June of 2006, and Maxell in September 2006 with a capacity of 300GB and transfer rate of 20 Mbyte/sec

Notice from mayank:
Copied From here : http://www.answers.com/topic/holographic-versatile-disc
Please note that if you copy anything then you've to put that in quote tag. Reducing Hosting credits worth 6 days

so whats the price tag, Plus blue-ray discs are going to be used more for games the anything else that about it. Maybe some music and movies but mostly for games.

Here's the link to the site of the actual developer: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Would be kinda cool to see this released soon, I wouldn't mind skipping the money spending on blu-ray and HD-DVD drives. Just because some stupid corporations couldn't agree on a standart means that I have to spend extra money on 2 drives... way to make your consumers happy. A single-standart holographic disc would be great, only one single drive and I could back up my ard drive onto a singel disk. Plus best of all... a whole season of CSI on one disk! I definetly hope this will be ready soon.

Holographic storage is the storage of the future. However, like he said it still is in the research stage it is no where near perfect yet. This has been around for atleast 5 years now nad they are getting closer but currently they are not at a cost effective solution. Look at this technology in another 5 to 10 years and most likely it will be on the market. Until then, stick with the new types of drives.

if you're worried about bluray vs HD-DVD there has always been standards issues, we had DVD- as well as DVD+ but drives were made to accomodate both and nobody even notices anymore, i'm sure a similar thing will happen with these new dvd standards.

I kind of get the feeling that blue ray and hd dvd will end up just like the laser disc. Before they even become commercial maybe the holographic versatile disc will be comming to a store near you. Though playstation will not let the blue ray die.

While Blu ray has been impressive I think that its a product that hasnt really taken up much from the point where HD DVD's left off. I am not saying that BLU RAY id useless im merely saying changes were from Cassette to CD from CD to Storage devices like memory stick and MP3 player and the IPAD / Iphoneand HD Picture. THere are visual changes in the way they operate or dispaly their stored info. But HD didnt really do much except increase storage space really yes the pic is improved but not that much from a HD DVD unless you a great fan of Blu ray you cant really see the difference in picture quality or like you would on a Dvd to HD dvd or VHS tape to dvd. Unless of course say blu ray had come with 3d tv it woud have made an impact but in normal life (outside the video game worl I find that blu ray hasnt contributed much to the Multimedia industry) ofcourse this is a shallow conclusion because i am not researched on the gaming industry which i know has a fair share or chucnk of the technology market. Im just wondering if the guys doing research and making technology are gonna make any massively huge strides in technology weather by improving it or creating a new gadget etc like the improvent of pc's from windows 3.1 t windows 95 or the Lauch of Iphone from the standard mobile phone. Lol Iphones actually made brick size phones cool agaian. i remeber when smaller was more expensive in terms of fones. We all used to predict that in 2010 fones would be really small yet powerfull things until someone put a camera in the fones and a touch screen and internet and boom fones started increasing in size lol. I just wish they can make like 320 Gig hard drives for fones or Memory cards that are really massive not in size but storage ability.Keep the tech threat going

The mainstream computers still seem to be stuck on BluRay and the promised release of halographics discs in 2006 simply did not happen. The first of the organizations that support new disc storage technologies are the film production and distribution agencies. Imagine being able to release a whole set of classics on a single disc. The cost of the discs eventually decrease though it could take years.If you consider the number of laptop computers that included BluRay, the sales are a mere fraction of the total number of laptop computers sold. The use of memory cards is pretty much limited to expansion memory devices in smart phones and cameras - it is rarely used as a means of sharing data the way you would give away a floppy disk or a compact disc to your buddies.With Internet access becoming ubiquitous, the use of compact discs has been on the decline. If you have to send across a six megabyte file, you would simply email it across. For anything larger, there are services such as DropBox. If you want to share something publicly, you would use services that provide you with affiliate revenue - they sell subscriptions for offering higher speed downloads or a larger number of concurrent downloads, and you get a percentage of it for having referred clients to them by linking to a file hosted on their service.In either case, there still is room for newer technologies for storage when it comes to computer server - those databases get massive and backups to a single medium would be much easier to manage than a bunch of half a dozen tapes. One can only imagine the number of tapes, catridges, or discs that a service like YouTube would have to maintain to be able to backup all of the data that is stored on its servers.