xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dazappa

Ugh Bought A Graphics Card That Didnt Work!

Ok this can be quite a long story. Well first off I have about a 6 year old computer. Poor buddy he's seen good days. Well anyways I recently bought guild wars for it. First off I didn't bother to see if my computer's graphics card was compatible with the game. And you can probably guess what happens...it wasn't!! But that's only the beginning of the problems. Well, I decided it might not be supported, but oh heck i'll try it anyways. So I create an account, and I began to realize it wasn't going to work. First thing I noticed was wrong: the clothes models didn't load on the character. It appeared he had white armor and clothes. Well I thought I could live with seeing people dressed in white walking around everywhere. So I logged on. Well let's just say 1fps. That is not a very good start. So, I turn everything I can down to minimal. Graphics, details, etc. Everything good had to be sacrificed. But it still didn't work. Well I could log in and chat with other players, but if I attempted to move, it would appear I jumped about 20 steps ahead. After walking around a bit the program quit on me. So I decided to get the latest drivers for my video card. That did indeed help, but not by much. I can now successfully log in, but the fps is still very low, but the program no longer quits on me. The models are all still white. Then I tried walking around, I didn't jump ahead as far, but it is still unplayable. So I decided to fork out the cash and get a graphics card. So I went to overstock.com and bought a shiny, brand new Radeon 9200 se. Well, the good thing is overstock has $2.95 shipping always. So it arrived about 3 days later, and I was extremely excited. I opened it up and noticed it had no instruction manual. Turns out the only "instruction manual" was online. But I didn't bother, I opened my computer and was just going to find the slot and plug it on in. But I quickly realized I didn't have the right slot to plug it into. Well that just got really annoying. So I looked up my computer model and tried to find a way for it to work. Turns out my model is virtually unupgradable besides memory, floppy, cd and harddrive. Oh great... So I wasted about $70 total, although I plan to do research before buying next time. I would also advise anyone buying from the internet, or anywhere else, to see what they are buying first and to make sure that is what they want.

Yep, researching first is always a good idea. They normally do display the slot type and the specifications when you buy computer components though. It's usually just a matter of making sure your own computer is compatible <_<A Radeon 9200 SE is VERY basic as a GFX card. As for whether it'd even play Guild Wars, my guess is that it'd have a bit of a struggle. $70 seems rather steep for it as well.

yeah you always need to check to see if your computer will work with something before you buy it, software as well as hardware. a lot of brand name computer manufacturers have a lot of information on their pcs online at their websites which is always a good place to checkon a side note cool freaker: he said it was $70 total, i assume that includes the price of the game in there too

Yeah it does. But I do plan on maybe eventually getting another one.(gfx card) But suprisingly if I didn't buy it from the website I bought it from, it would have costed me about $30 more somehow. I guess cause there's the dumb middleman thing going on.