xisto Community
DaRealChrono

Cracking Programs...

Do any of you guys believe in doing this? I for one don't, I think people who make great programs should get thier money...I think it just sets a bad example for the users who crack and get serial keys for programs like Norton and Photoshop because that just goes to show the character people have, Also you gotta think, If your willing to steal on the Internet then you'd be willing to steal from your friends and family...Just my take on things...

Do any of you guys believe in doing this? I for one don't, I think people who make great programs should get thier money...I think it just sets a bad example for the users who crack and get serial keys for programs like Norton and Photoshop because that just goes to show the character people have, Also you gotta think, If your willing to steal on the Internet then you'd be willing to steal from your friends and family...Just my take on things...

Personally I think it depends on the situation. If you're using the program to make money then you should certainly pay for it. But there is a whole class of people (college students included) that don't have the money to put $200 down on a single piece of software. In that case the company wouldn't be getting money from that individual anyways. Not that this justifies or makes it "right" in any way, just a good point from a practical stand point. Also, sometimes it is in a company's best interest to allow people to pirate their software. Both Adobe (specificly in regards to photoshop and imageready) and Maya have publicly stated that they don't mind students illigitament copies of their software. Why is this? Because those same students are going to be the ones running or working for graphic companies in years to come. And they'll most likely stay with the product that they already know how to use--only this time there will be money involved, and so they'll be able to afford it. I think apple may have made a similar comment about final cut pro 4...but im not 100% possitive on that one.

Some things programs and things seem to be overpriced all the time. It just might be me but I think that companies would have less trouble with pirating if they sold things at a resonable price. Although I do agree that pirating things is just the same as going into a store and stealing it.

I agree with gaea in the sense that if a user is trying to crack the software, they probably are not willing to pay for it anyway, and thus it is not a loss to the company if they crack it because the company wouldn't be getting the money for a legally purchased one anyway.But, that doesn't mean that this is fair for the companies, and I don't encourage doing it unless you are unable to purchase the software in question.And lastly, if the company in question is unable to secure their software good enough, then they have a bit of work to do and should be worried about fixing the problem rather than suing people who beat them.

DaRealChrono, please be carefull next time, this topic of yours is not for a Freebies forum wich was where post it.Now, this is a very polemic subject, interesting but it will raise many answers, many ideas.I don't know if you cracked or applyed a crack in a program or even an ilegal serial or anyother code to break the program/script security, and by that, removing it's limitations, so i'm going to beleave you've never done that.I'm going to tell you the trueth, i cracked some programs, Photoshop and Norton antivirus was among the first programs wich i applyed a crack, and i had many reasons to do so: - Photoshop is too expensive (1.000+ euros) - Norton programs are also too expensive - Still, i need the best programs (I'm a webdesigner, informatics technician and shh technician so i need the best web design / design programs plus i also need to be protected when i open files from the internet and others)I could buy them, but i'm not that rich to pay so much money for a program that i know how to crack the limitations.I may have cracked some programs, i might crack programs in the future, but i tell you now, i will never do the same to my friends, i have principles, do you think if i crack a program or whatever it means that i'll steal my friends, no my "friend", i will not, i have principles and rules wich guide me.One think is to crack a program in the virtual world, another is to steal a friend or an unkown person in the real world, both are very different worlds, you just can't compare them like that, it's absurd.Now, please, answer me this questions: - Have you ever toke copies of books in school? - Have you ever downloaded mp3 (music) from the internet? - Do you use p2p programs? What do you download!? - Have you have steal a chocolate in a market or grosserys store?The first one i'm almost sure you did it and perhaps you are still doing, almost everybody in the world makes copies of books, but what they don't know is that is illegal, why, because almost all people don't have permission to take those copies of the copyrighted books or whatever information, they don't have the respect of asking for those rights, for that licence.Concerning the other questions, also i'm almost sure you did it, i don't know you, but statistics don't lie, perhaps you are an exception, if you say so i'll beleave you, but the point is that everyone does illegal actions everyday, all time, for any reason, now, does it mean that if you take copies of books then you also steal friends or take copies of your friends work?I could talk forever here explaining you why not one person (with a few exceptions) is an example to say something about cracking programs, think about this.

cracking programs is bad, they'll leak all over the place......... my bad attempt at humour aside, using cracked software is almost always illegal, and one of the main reasons people use cracked stuff is because they can't afford the software. A lot of companies could increase the amount of paying users just by reducing the cost involved. One thing they could do is like what microsoft does and hav "avademic" versions of software at a reduced price so that people can obtain legitimate copies for a price more suited to what they can afford.

I would never use any of these programs and I agree there is no reason for anyone to use them. Stealing software is the same as stealing anything. Making a piece of software takes time and resources like anything else. Would you go steal a car from your local car dealer? Most of you would not. Stealing software is the same thing. It took time to make the car and it took time to make the software. Besides the fact that this is morally wrong it is also against the law and if you get caught the consequences are very severe. Not only that but there are many open source programs that can get you by until you can afford the expensive software. As for what Lyon2 said I have never done any of those things because they are also wrong and I will not in the future.

If you say so, i'll do an effort to beleave you but, it is very very hard to beleave you did not make copies of books or anyother copyrighted material such as books and other works that normally help students and workers achieve better school marks or courses marks as well as in a profession.It's very hard to beleave you did not make copies, unless you are rich or you did not go to school.Here in europe, things are very expensive, and in schools as well as in all places, people makes copies of copyrighted material all the time and that's also illegal, cracking programs is also illegal but most people crack programs because they need them, it's not for playing around with them.I could tell tons of other examples that most people do, and most of them do not even know that they are comicting an ilegall action.You could say lots of things, i can beleave you, but it takes a hard effort for me to beleave it because i didn't burn yesterday or 2 seconds ago, i have a lot of experience in the real world, with people, and one thing reality tought me is that no one is an example to critisize other, no one is an example in all things like morally, professionaly and so on, to say that cracking programs is bad, i know it, but let's not forget the other things too like the example of copies of books in school/courses/work.

As a programer of software and games, i HATE people who pirate software... :) but... i'd have to say, i feel like a little bit of a sucker paying for some things where others can get it for free :)

Cracking programs...I hate it.Using P2P...yesCopying a few pages from books...yesDownloading MP3's...yesStolen a chocolate bar...noMy point is, running into a shop and stealing the software isn't much different than cracking. Cracked software can be spyware, viruses, trojan, etc. Nearly all seraill, cracking, warez, etc sites are rated DANGEROUS on the McAfee SiteAdvisor rating extension.I admit it, I've cracked 2 programs before. I don't use them anymore, but I have still done it. They only costed about $20 CAD.

Cracking programs...I love it (but dangerous...trojan or spyware or adware or even virus :) )Using P2P...yes (for movie and anime :) )Copying a few pages from books...yes (not only few page buy whole book B) )Downloading MP3's...Always (cannot sleep without MP3)Stolen a chocolate bar...no (Unless the shop is mine :) ) all the software i never buy but juz dl it and then burn all into dvd for personal use....of course i didnt sell it la. sell tats is illegal and i might been caught by doing this selling pirated software.argghhh...but problems is some people put virus or trojan at that software and my comp straight crash after download and open it. B):(B) should blame those who put the virus.... agree ???? dont tell me u all never face this kind of problems ya B)

I apreciate your honesty because i also was honest on what i said.But just one thing, i have never sell warez (programs plus their cracks), i have never made money selling ilegal stuff, i just use the cracks for personal use, and that i beleave it is not too bad, but selling ilegal stuff, that i don't agree, and i don't do, but hey, if a person wants to do it, it has nothing to do with me.

I apreciate your honesty because i also was honest on what i said.
But just one thing, i have never sell warez (programs plus their cracks), i have never made money selling ilegal stuff, i just use the cracks for personal use, and that i beleave it is not too bad, but selling ilegal stuff, that i don't agree, and i don't do, but hey, if a person wants to do it, it has nothing to do with me.

the funny thing is, it doesn't matter what you think because the law isn't going to change. what you think is illegal and what you do is illegal. GRANTED that just because there is a law, it doesn't have to do with morals or values, but in this case it DOES. even if it wasn't a law, it wouldn't be right. if everyone did what you did, programmers wouldn't be making a living and you wouldn't have the software you have today

you take the easy way out because you can. i did it, alot of people have. doesn't make it right.

you're not only cheating the system, you're lying to your own self trying to make yourself and others believe there is nothing wrong with it. that's worse than cheating the system because then you can post and preach about your ignorance to others.

like i said before, i've been guilty before of cheating the system. my excuse? no money, or just fun to check out the cracked software before i buy it, etc. i can think of many reasons...or better yet, EXCUSES why people do what they do...including not having any morals or values. bottom line, it doesn't make it right.

I am against paying for closed-source software in the first place - but that doesnt mean I have to crack at all. There are so many great programs out there that are both free and open source - that way you can get them for free and check that there is nothing in there that you dont want... if you're a pro - which I am definitely not :rolleyes:

Also, the belief that cracking is wrong because then companies who make the programs would not exist is false. Just look at the open source community. I personally think that it is monopolies - like Microsoft - who stiffle the sprit of freedom, just to make themselves a fat pocket... Like the theory about the everlasting lightbulb...

seriously, cracking may be wrong, but there is no need for it. Though I have, I must admit, used a couple keys... got so pissed with Adobe buying out Macromedia that... well... yeh...

But people, Open Source is worth something!