xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SK8

Blu Ray Discs Something to overtake DVD - 25GB ON SINGLE LAYER

Hello all,

This new technology is caleld Blu Ray. Ive read some magazine articles on it and it does look promising! So far Samsung has released some products but they are not in the market. They are just for testing purposes. It supports 25GB on a single layer disc and up to 50GB on a dual layer disc!!! What if you had a double sided disc? Maybe 100GIGS!!!

It works by changing the old laser from the traditional red laser to a blue laser. The laser beam is much much more finer thus making the drive able to write more, loops per disc.

Already we have programs that support this technology, and some state that the Playstation 3 will support this technology.

Some information from wikipedia:

Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a next-generation optical disc format meant for storage of high-definition video and high-density data. The Blu-ray standard was jointly developed by a group of consumer electronics and PC companies called the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). As compared to the HD DVD format, its main competitor, Blu-ray has more information capacity per layer, 25 instead of 15 gigabytes, but may initially be more expensive to produce.

The name Blu-ray is derived from the blue-violet laser it uses to read and write to the disc. A Blu-ray disc will be able to store substantially more data than a DVD, because of the shorter wavelength (405 nm) of the read-laser (DVDs use a 650-nm-wavelength red laser and CD's 780 nm). Blu-ray unveiled their plans for a Spring 2006 launch at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January 2006. It was expected to be released on May 23, 2006 but the release date has been changed to June 2006.

After working with the Blu-ray technology, Sony realized that additional effort would be necessary, and announced that the release date of their PlayStation 3 would be postponed until November of 2006. The Blu-ray Disc Association followed suit by also postponing the release date of Blu-ray products in U.S. stores until June of 2006.

Here are some further links on the new tech!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/blu-ray.htm

This is gunna be really useful but is set to cost around $800 Australian Dollars! So we play the waiting game <_<

Tell us what you think of this new tech

Cyas round

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Using QUOTE tag for copied words are part of forum rules.

lol, if i remembered correctly, there are alot of posts about blue-ray disc on this forum.

anyways... blue ray disc are already released to bussinesses. I remember my trip to washington state university, they showed us their news room and the guy was telling us how they are using blue ray disc instead of DVD now. He actually let us into the control room and i got to see the disc. He told me that the disc is around $50 for a 30gb or 50gb each, i forgot. And the machine is that used to play the disc is about 15,000. But i'm sure the home blue ray disc version is much cheaper than that.

Here is a picture i took of the blue ray disc during my trip.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

there seems to be alot of tension between HD-DVD and Blur-ray disks. HD-DVDs store around 20GB if i remember correctly. alot of businesses are going to be affected by the outcome of which disk is to become dominant. sony's playstation 3, which uses blu-ray technology, may crumble if HD-DVD becomes the new standard. microsoft have already stated that they will make some sort of HD-DVD reading attachment for the xbox 360 if is to become the standard. personally, i think blu-ray will be the next standard. people demand higher capacity and blu-ray disks are giving it to them.

How long do they last though. That would be great for Archiving but if they only last 20 years whats the point. I heard about a Kodak gold that will do a 100 years for DVD and 300 for CD

Blueray and HD-DVD have been in development for so long and soon I will be able to get my hands on them. Originally my plan was going to purchase a player for both of them but since Bluray is quite expensive I might just stick with HD-DVD when it comes out and get Bluray later when the price drops.

Edited by Arigato (see edit history)

wow well it seems we are (well not us) are improving in technology... but what could you do with that? i mean, you can buy blue cds and stuff but the computers still use the common HD and most of the times it uses a very big space in the computer....is like using the USB memos, every uses one....but computers still are big!the only company i have seen that used its own technology to reduce the size of a computer was Apple, Mac mini is obviously a way to look to the future in other way....that's why i asked in which other devices will the blue cd be used?and other thing...i dont know a blue cd?...you can buy and iPod and have all that space with a player included or buy the player from creative that has much more space...

I heard that ps3 will have a blueray on the system itself. Thats why the console is so expensive. But its awesome if that many gigs are supported. Which means that with about 8 discs, there will be more space then my hard drive.

25gb = good. w00t i can backup everything on a single disk! If blu ray gets popular then the price will drop a ton, down to the price of dvd's in a few years.

Just to clear this up OK (because there seems to bit a little bit of confusion) The PlayStation 3 will definately inlcuded the built in abiltity to play Blu Ray discs (both games and movies). While I do have to say that 50GB for a disc is impressive (and in most catagories the Blu Ray is superior to the HDDVD, data transfer which is perhaps the second most important factor after capacity is included in this superiority over HDDVD) and at least for the PlayStation 3 Blu Rays will have to survive otherwise as it is the main medium for games on that system (its the main reason for the November dealay).However it is important to look at both sides of the argument, Blu Rays are undoubtably technically superior, however due to their main developer being Sony, the Blu Ray is built around DRM and as such Blu Ray players are alot more restrictive as to what can be played on them than HDDVD, and when taking in to account the price differences and delays in getting the Blu Ray format up and running this Blu Ray - HDDVD format war may not be won on technical merits.P.S. I forgot to mention this (probably the most important part of this post) my prefered next gen disc format is currently Blu Ray as the technical benefits outweigh the DRM restrictions, and price of standalone players and delays to the finalising of the specs of the disc.