xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
u_c_iv

Home Network Not Working Networking multiple PCs (wired and wireless)

Hi everyone,I bought a wireless router for internet acces for my laptop. I also have a desktop. Both connect fine to the router and get good speeds on the internet. The thing is that I want to set up a home network so that I can have file and printer sharing between my machines. I have the run wizard on both machines several times (and created the install disks etc), but when I try to "see" the other machine, it cannot connect.Can somebody please give me some tips/pointers? My set up isISP -> Cable modem -> Wireless -> Laptop & PCThanks

Well, most likely the solution which I am giving you will be already there but still to make sure that this small thing doesnt get left out please perform this task. Make sure that File And Printer Sharing service must be enabled on both the computers.If that is already enabled then please try to disable any firewall first (if any) and then just see if both the computer see each other or not.

and make sure they are both part of the same group.on the desktop rightclick My Computer-->properties-->network identification-->properties-->make sure they both belong to the same group. then set up your printer and drives to share.

Make sure you have a Drive or Device Shared otherwise no other computer is going to see it as there is nothing to see. Now accessing the Internet works on TCP/IP. To have file and printer sharing working you may have to install the protocol IPX.Make sure they both have the same workgroup. Also, what part is wireless?

Lets start for the obvious and esencial process:
1- The desktop pc should have a wireless network adapter, compatible with IEEE 802.11g.
2-Check that you dont have firewalls (in the modem or in the computers like norton or windows firewall)
if you have, configure properly the network policies (for example: grant access for the computers adding a ip interval or setting manually each computer)
3-Wireless networks requires a manual validation for sharing files and accessing resources like printers.
check the configuration of the hotspot (wireless switch)

IF you need more technical help, try at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

I have noticed the same thing, when I?m on a wireless laptop and try to access something on my desktop connected by a Ethernet cable. It seems to be impossible to do. The only method I can share files is if I connect the laptop to the router too. This is extremely frustrating and I have tried every possible way!

When the first time I've got my wireless router, I was excited in connecting both my desktop and notebook together and surf the internet simultaneously. Like you, everything works fine individually. I can even talk to my sister through Skype and chat with MSN messenger without any problems, even though we were all under the same IP address behind a router. The problem only comes when I wanted to share files or play a LAN game locally without the need of the Internet.

Here is how I solved them. Firstly, I checked the firewall installed on the individual systems, making sure they are correctly configurated to accept a certain range of local IP addresses or a specific IP address. If you are using ZoneAlarm, add an entry with the IP addresses of your computer and your desktop as accepted IP ranges in the Zone settings under the Firewall tab. Similarly if you are using Norton Internet Security, look under the local network settings and add the local IP addresses of the two computers. If you want to save the trouble of configuring the firewalls, simply disable the firewalls. You are encouraged to disconnect from the Internet before doing this because you are now openned to intrusion from the Internet without the Firewalls enabled. Both firewalls on both computers must be configurated similarly or disabled together for communication in local network. Ping the other computer to check if there's reply. Some routers have inbuilt firewall, so check that firewall and configurate similarly to the configurations on the computers. You may also like to reply with the model of your router so we can all look into your problem in more specific detail.

Usually the above method should be able to solve the local networking issue. For my home network, it simply stops here and there's nothing more to configure until I brought my notebook to my friend's house for a LAN gaming party. I realised I was not able to ping my friend's computers. We even tried to connect head-to-head without the router and still we couldn't ping each other. After some looking through and troubleshooting, I realised that it was due to the different workgroup. We then all changed our workgroup to a same name and everything else then works fine.

To change your workgroup, right-click My Computer and click Properties. In the Computer Name tab, click the Change button to edit your workgroup or your computer name. Make sure that the computer name is unique, meaning that your desktop and notebook should not have the same computer name. Give a common workgroup name for both your desktop and notebook. Try pinging the computers. Restart the computers if they does not ping.

I have noticed the same thing, when Im on a wireless laptop and try to access something on my desktop connected by a Ethernet cable. It seems to be impossible to do. The only method I can share files is if I connect the laptop to the router too. This is extremely frustrating and I have tried every possible way!

This is the similar problem. Try the above solutions. Usually it deals with firewall settings. You may also try to repair the network by clicking the Repair button in the Network status properties.

Now accessing the Internet works on TCP/IP. To have file and printer sharing working you may have to install the protocol IPX.

do you know what IPX is?
IPX is a protocol which is basically used in NOVELL enviornment. Please provide the right information only.

I'd like to throw in this information as well: if you are running Windows XP Pro and have the latest patches, the security level on Pro is higher than XP Home edition. So, if you're connecting Home <--> Pro you must enable one folder from Pro set as shared in order for Home to see it.You did not mention the versions of your operating system, so I'm assuming this may also cause some issue. Next time please provide us with detailed information so that we can quickly and effectively share our experiences.

There is also an issue about the Windows Account.- Mostly when you active the "Guest" account on the windows XP Pro, it works also.- And then you have to share one folder on each computer.(you can remove the share later if you want to).- Firewalls can also block the sahre.In Zonealarm you can define a safe zone by IP adress (for ex 192.168.1.1/24 is trusted area).In a trusted area you can share folders in the others not.The windows firewall has also a setting this.An other protocol used in shares is Netbios (TCP port 137 and 138).

Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

I have noticed the same thing, when Im on a wireless laptop and try to access something on my desktop connected by a Ethernet cable. It seems to be impossible to do. The only method I can share files is if I connect the laptop to the router too. This is extremely frustrating and I have tried every possible way!

(Point 1)
Assumption: You are trying to connect your laptop directly to your desktop by an ethernet cable.
Result: File sharing still doesn't work.
(Point 2)
Assumption: Connecting your laptop to your desktop by an ethernet cable thru the router.
Result: File sharing worked.

Conclusion: Your cable is a straight-thru cable. Straight-thru cables doesn't work on PC-to-PC setup, Crossover cables should be used. While Crossover cables work even thru routers/switches with auto detect features.

Wireless file sharing doesn't work:

Possible solutions:
You may be able to share files by simply turning on File and Printer sharing on your notebook and desktop, and then using the wireless LAN connectivity the router provides to connect to each other.

Make sure both units are on the same WORKGROUP. You can also enable the DHCP server built-in your router and configure your units' LAN settings to AUTO-IP ASSIGN Configuration.

Sharing files in workgroup mode requires that each computer have a local account for each user who will connect.