xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Trying To Figure Out If My Graphics Card Will Work For A Mmorpg Will my graphics card work on World of Warcraft

well, i have a dell, and so i went to the dell support website and looked up what my graphics card was...im sure i could have done it from my computer as well, but i decided to do it on dells website...and it says that i have an

Display Adapters Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller 64Mb

and to play World Of Warcraft i need an

32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIAŽ GeForce 2 class card or above

and im not too good with computer tecnical stuff so i dont quite know if my Graphics Card will work in the World Of Warcraft game..and i want to be sure it does before i buy it.

also... lol i feel like a total noob, but it also says i should have an

4x CD-ROM drive

and once again when i go to the dell suport website and look up my information it sayd i have an

DVD/CD-ROM Drives HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8487B

will it work?? i might have a few more noobish questions :angry:

I think it means you have integrated graphics (ie the motherboard has a graphics chip.) It probably shares memory with your RAM or something... I believe you should be able to play WoW, but most likely you'll have to do it on the lowest settings.WoW only requires a GeForce2 card anyway - you can easily get any bottom range graphics card out now and be able to play no problems.

Your graphics card is most probably an integrated one. Of course, it is not a high end graphic card hence for every games you play, not only for WoW, you may have to set it to the lowest configurations.

I am using a Dell notebook for all my use, work and play. I use it to play Warcraft III for hours, and set the graphics to the minimum. Definately I don't get to enjoy the high detail graphics, but I could still enjoy the game without much problems. You may do the same, it's a form of give and take. If you want to play WoW on your computer, you might just have to give up high end graphics, which I think is pretty worth it since you don't have to pay to get another graphic card.

I suggest you to use a benchmark to test your graphic card performance as well. From there, you can see what's your graphic card's potential of displaying it's highest possible detail.

Try 3DMark.
http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads?3dmark06.shtml

oooooo 1 hour and 1 min to download that thing..lol thanx inspirion, ill try that and see if it works if i have the paitece to download it >_< i still dont really see what it's supposed to do

It's just a benchmark. You can use it to see what is your graphic card's potential of displaying its highest possible quality. From there, you can then decide how you will configure your video settings on WoW.Otherwise, we'll continue playing Yahoo pool at highest graphical content. :angry:

lol thanx, and i just talked to a dell tecnition and he said i do not have the memory needed (i have 256 and i need 512) lmao and my graphics card is not big enough..but for some reason i dont believe him because it sayd i need a 32mb card and yet i have a 64mb card, but i dont know :angry:

Yeah.. That's why you need a benchmark to satisfy yourself what it can do. If course, like many will say, at least a 512MB RAM or even 1GB is recommended for WoW.Anyway, the technician you've spoken to was refering to RAM memory, not your graphics card memory. If you have a 256MB memory on your graphic card, it is considered huge already.

Yeah, and if your integrated graphics shares the RAM, then you don't even have 256mb when you're playing WoW. With integrated graphics I see little point in runnning 3dMark on it though Inspiron? We know it's not going to yield a very good score at all... I would actually recommend the '05 test - many are saying it provides a more accurate benchmark than the '06 one still.In terms of "technicality" I believe your integrated graphics would suffice (once you got the recommended RAM), though you are still much better off buying a $50 card (if you're using a desktop that is) - for games a dedicated GPU is the way to go :angry:

allright, everyone thanx for your help...ive talked with a few tecnitions on different nights now and gotten many different answers, but ive decided i will be upgrading my memory card to the recomended memory card on the W.o.W website, and go with that, as per the other probelm forget about it, it is solved too...thanx everyone!

geforce 2 is maybe 7 years old. Onboard graphics may work on lowest settings for WoW. What you should do...is go to your local fry's electronics store (or target) and get a cheap card, Radeon 9200 (30 dollars now? USD), and you're set to go. a 4x CD drive isnt even made anymore. almost all CD drives in production are atleast 48x. Heck, they don't evn make 4x DVD drives anymore really.

problem solved, i need to buy a new gfx card :) thanx for all of your help everyone! this can be closed please and thank you!

This helped me!

Trying To Figure Out If My Graphics Card Will Work For A Mmorpg

Lol I have the same graphics card on my PC:D This helped me cause I had the exact same question!

Graphics cardsTrying To Figure Out If My Graphics Card Will Work For A Mmorpg

Hi, been looking into this quite a lot as I am upgrading my own Graphics card, from an Nvidia 5200 128mb, as playing WoW, although possible, is not enjoyable. Having trawled the net, have noted that Radeon/ATI cards seem to have trouble with cooling, which cause machine to stop working/ lock-outs/ freezing. This may explain the price difference between these cards and Nvidia cards. Have decided to stick with Nvidia and I'm picking up 6800GT 512 mb tomorrow, and am hoping it works, and ease of installation is as it has been described in all the forums. :)

-reply by SteveD