xisto Community
gameratheart

Is It Illegal To Use Invision Power Board V1.3? Please read inside. There are a few important notes.

Ok, back when Invision Board was still freeware, I downloaded a copy of Invision Board v1.3 for use on the web, but I never used it.I found out, when searching my computer earlier, that I still have the copy. And I want to know, would it be legal to use it on my website now?I searched the Invision Website for licencing terms regarding this, and also did a Google Search, and found that all Forum Software from 2.0 onwards is now illegial without a licence. (As if people didn't know that already!) However, I found nothing preventing use of IPB 1.3, and the fact that I downloaded it while it was still freeware suggests to me that it wouldn't be illegial.But I don't know for sure, so can anyone help? I really need to know this, because I plan to place the forum onto my site and I don't want to be doing it illegally and end up getting banned.Thanks!P.S. Before you say that IPB 1.3 is already in Fantastico, I have already checked this thoroughly and it is not.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

There was recently a situation where this same issue was raised in the midst of a Member installing a 'Trial" version of IBP and it seems to me that it would not be allowed due to IBP's position that the only acceptable versions are those which they currently support. There were some security issues with the older versions of IBP and they no longer recommend using the version you are discussing, so I would have to suggest that installing it on the Xisto servers would be a bad idea if you wanted to continue your account here. This is a politically correct way of saying NO.

Oh, man, if I WASN'T aware of the matter of the IPB Trial Version conflict! EVERYONE wants to host one but officially they can't.So from your viewpoint, it's a bad idea primarily because of safety issues, and no support. I must admit that I was aware of the problems in IPB 1.3, and I began to think it wasn't much of a good idea myself.Thanks a lot for helping me out again, jlhaslip. I guess there's always another way...

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

NDPA, I sent an email to Invision Power Services, asking them whether you are allowed to use IPB 1.3. Here is my original message:

Dear Invision Power Services,
I am contacting you on befalf of another person, who wishes to install the version 1.3 release of Invision Power Board on his Web site. According to what I have neen told, he downloaded the free release of IPB 1.3 while it was available for download. He has since not installed the IPB 1.3 software on his Web site, but he still has a copy of the software. My question is whther he would be authorized to use this software, which was at one time available for free, but is no longer offered for download. Once again, he obtained a free version of IPB 1.3, but has not installed it before the time when it became unavailable. Would it be legal for him to install it?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Regards,
Michael.

Here is thier response:

Thank you for contacting Invision Power Services.
Debbie has responded to your Invision Power Services request.

-----------------------------------------------

Hello,

You may use IPB 1.3 without a license, although we would not recommend it as it is such an old version of the software with many security vulneralbilities.

Regards,

Debbie Ruff
IPS Customer Relations
Peterborough, UK
Invision Power Services, Inc.

So apparently, you are allowed to use IPB 1.3 after all.

I think you are over-emphasising the wrong part of the message.

I would emphasis this part:

... although we would not recommend it as it is such an old version of the software with many security vulneralbilities ...

I think you are over-emphasising the wrong part of the message.
I would emphasis this part:

That is true, but NDPA wanted to know whether he could use it, so my reply above gave him the answer. I don't really have anything more to say on this aside from the fact that IPS has good, fast support.
Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

jlhaslip, it is possible to use patches to remove all the security patches, you know. MY question was simply, is it legal?Thank you Michaelper for contacting IPB on this matter on my behalf. Now I know for sure. A lot of other websites have asked this question, so I can now give them indistinguishable proof.But yeah, I am not going to forget about the Security Vulnerabilities in such an old version. I might not use IPB after all.Thanks guys. Close this topic if you please.

There are some mods that fix up Invision Power Board 1.3's security problems. I think its some German site, i cant remember sorry. You could mayby ask invisionfree what security mods theyve installed. If they havent thats a problem...

I know some of the patches can be found on websites like Invisionize, but they don't have a full listing. I don't really know any real website for them, either.

Well I was going to say that it is allowed to use, or else sites such as invisionfree.com would not be in service, all they run is ipb 1.3, as the IPB rep stated it does have its security defaults, some people say that they are easy to hack into, so unfortunately that would be your biggest problem. but also ive heard that there are patches for you to download.

I think you can use it here. You obtain your copy legally and although it is no longer available, you may still use it on your own. I have a few concerns though. For one thing, the bugs with the scripts may be quite open to the public by now and the use of an old scripts may attract attack from everywhere. Secondly, if the scripts are no longer supported, you can't get technical support easily, since no one else may be using your scripts. I would suggest that you use a GPL board instead. Boards like phpBB are used worldwide and you will find peer support easily. Hacks and mods are readily available so I think that's perfect for a freeware.