xisto Community
MaineFishing45

Accused Of Hacking....

IPB 2.0.0 (Trial)  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This could get long... :(

Well it started like any normal day... go up, check messages on all my forums, and boards. Posted on my Xisto on, since its the best ( :( )... but besides that its our "un"official school board. So my friends and I can post on it at school, since they allow it, because later on the entire school will be able to see it, and learn about it. Seems cool, but not going to happen anymore. Because my account was suspended, more like I bet terminated! :(:( So I have to look for a temp. host if this does not get sorted out. You ask

Whats the problem?

Well here it goes. See the bullets, it makes more sense.

Finished PSAT test, started to post on the school board

More people came in and the shoutbox daily limit for members loaded up (maxed out)

Edit level from 50 to 100 daily shouts.... everything is working

Then something happened to all the skins, and I got PM'ed with problems, and the shoutbox disappered??? WTH???

So I post, here and on invisionize

I leave the link to my site so people see what it looks like, so messed up bottom portion missing

Some say its a SQL Error...

Later BuffaloHelp accuses me of pirating IPB 2.0.0(Trail) and well I get pissed :(

But anyways, here is a topic some might be interested in reading, I read most of it and as far as I am concerned that I have the winning topic! :( (Thanks Ben)

His link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Pertains to IPB 2.0.2 (Trail) not MINE!

My link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Make more sense right? Please help and hopefully I have the better winning edge. But I mean I sent OpaQue a PM and discussed some things with him. Stuff I will not bother to tell here, and well I just want my site, board, host, back and I am fine. I will abid by his decision if its fair, and we are upgrading (buying a license) in the next month or two so I don't see the problem?

------

Please be fair in the poll, so we have an accurate description. Thanks guys. :(

This answer from the IPB Staff guy is the one I would go with.

To wrap this up...
If you downloaded the trial version prior to IPS halting it's release it is legal to use on a trial basis. In the event that you decide to use the software full time, therfore no longer being a trial, you are required to purchase a full license.

If the software was downloaded from a source other then IPS it is illegal to install and use.

If you have any further questions please contact us so that we may assist you further.

Also, if these limits were exceeded on your installation, I suspect the Database errors were caused by the Trial Version encoded features.

The trial version is encoded which means you are unable to view the PHP source or modify the PHP source. There are also these hard limits:
* 5000 Posts
* 1000 Topics
* 1000 Personal Messages
* 200 Members
* Bulk Mailer Disabled
* Language Editing Disabled
* Subscriptions Manager Disabled
* SQL Toolbox Disabled

I haven't voted, just stating how I view this situation, for what it is worth.

Ok... that makes sense but where do people get that I hacked IPB and got a pirated version. When I flat out stated its from IPB before they halted the trails, what the staff guy said above. And I am using it on a trial bases, and I said I would upgrade sometime next month.

It's Trial not Trail. Right?

I have inquired repeatedly where and how you received it. You did not respond. So I assumed it was obtained from another source since Invision no longer offers 2.0.x trial download. In fact, the only version you can download for a trial period is 2.1.x. In order to obtain that you must give your personal information to obtain the proper downloading URL.

If you can prove that you downloaded from IPS, Inc. I will unsuspend your hosting privileges. I knew it would be unwise for me to terminate at this point so I suspended your account.

However, this is IPS, Inc.'s direct respond:

Thank you for contacting Invision Power Services. To answer your questions:

1.) Q: Can an user still download 1.3.x from somewhere else and use it
freely?
A: The only area where you can still download a legitimate copy of
our free product is through software like cPanel or Fantastico. If they
are using a version downloaded from anywhere else it is likely
illegitimate.

2.) Q: Do you make 1.3.x available for download in your site?
A: We have officially retired all versions prior to 2.0.0 Final.
There are simply too many security vulnerabilities in the older
software. We really do not recommend that individuals use such old versions in
a live environment.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate
to let us know. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Shipe
Sales and Billing
1-800-901-5491 ext. 108

Even though this question was for 1.3.x the answer clearly states that they have retired all versions prior to 2.0.0 Final. This includes the trial version. Please provide necessary information and we'll take it from there. The possible proof is a letter from IPS, Inc with the proper contact number/address.

Thank you.

Well I can't do that. I mean I download it when it first came out, then they wanted to go all corporate and got rid of the trial download link. So what can I do, you know there is some stupid support rep that will anwser exactly what that it never existed or contact billing, I know and I tried that. And I told you about what happened earlier... I would not let me get onto the site, the school found out and blocked it, and the proxies faild. So a teacher let me connect to the ethernet (no blocks) which I could get suspended for, thank God I finished before someone came in.... and I posted my response to you and told you of the situation. Yes its Trial... not trail.----Edit----To make it simple... I'm screwed, and my account is to. :( What can I do wait till I purchase it and have them host it, they could care less about my situation and stuff, and I don't want to get involved with them. Kinda crashed all my future plans, but there are always lots of bumps in my road. So I don't know what I have to do? Or tell my friends and ppl. So I guess I can work on photoshop and post around the forums @ home.

Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

get phpbb it is free and easy to install and is almost the exact same to all the other boards or if you want other boards such as Yabb or phpbb nuke and get out of trouble.

you can go here and get more free bulletin board it is not neccary for you to use invision or vBulletin there are many other alternatives try using them.

Topic has been resolved. Member removed pirated software. Pirated does not always mean hacked or cracked--when you obtain it and use it without the proper lawbinding manner, the act of obtaining also applies as a form of piracy.