xisto Community
alfredglenstein

More Stupid Pc Troubles Of my own

I got going in the other guys thread a bit about the similar problems our computers had, and would like to hear a bit from you guys if you've had any of my amazingly unique problems, it would be neat to hear if I'm not the only one.. I will go through some of the symptoms.But first, I think I am kind of proud of my computer, though, being that I've been able to run a windows ME machine for as long as I have without it utterly shattering to peices, and I can enjoy a fair game of cossacks on it. It's been about 3-4 years now unformatted (my record for sure, other runs have lasted a month, a year and a year), but it does have inexplicable problems often. ok on to the problems.1. Abilon, feed reader- feeds suddenly dissapearing. This one really really makes me way angry, I'll open up my reader one day, and half the feeds will be gone for no reason. I have to load feeds from a backup file I always end up making. And I adjust my feeds all the time, and I always get to a point where I say "I am definately going to format this BS" but then the computer runs well for a bit and my motivation subsides. 2. A program like Firefox will suddenly not run and I will get something like a "JS352.dll" error (made that one up, but something like that and its different every time) and the program will have an error every single time afterward. But if I restart everything is fine.3. A program or game quitting for no reason- when playing a game online with a friend for 3 hours and waiting to see how it will end, the game will suddenly close with no explanation and happily display my desktop as if nothing happened. Infuriating!4. Everything slowing down... Firefox has gotten way slower for me lately even though it was quick and clean when I first had it.5. Sudden restart for no reason- my computer will suddenly restart. I could be typing a word document and just out of nowhere the screen goes blank and goes to the DOS bootup screen and starts up. What the hell?6. Weird lockups.. these are really weird, because they have happened not only to this version of windows, but I had it on my old version before I formatted that one.. What happens is, the screen goes black, except for a series of thin green bars across the top of the screen. What the hell? Anyone else had this? I have, twice, and it really sucks.There are others, but this is the bulk of them.. do you think I should format or switch to linux or what?

A re-format of your HDD sounds pretty good. For your system slowing down, I'm guessing that would be like a lot of programs running in the background + some spyware. Lockups, wierd restarts, programs quitting, possibly slow down sounds like a virus. I don't know for sure but it's my best guess. Do you have anti-virus and anti-spyware software? if you don't, I would highly recommend getting such programs. Some free ones would be like avg anti-virus, if your windows version is legit.... you can get microsoft's anti-spyware software. It works well, especially from being made by microsoft :angry:Either first get this software if you don't have it and do scans to make sure your not affect by spyware/virusses. Otherwise I would suggest re-formatting your HDD. It's always good to re-format once and a while. It cleans off all the junk that your computer collects from long periods of use.Good luck and let me know if you need any more advice or assistance :angry:

My PC likes its on choices too. It decides what it wants to delete, when it wants to delete, programs, folders, anything. I need to re-install windows but I just can't afford to do it, what with having to re-install everything and backup files. What a pain. I suppose thats the only way to go about it :angry:

5. Sudden restart for no reason- my computer will suddenly restart. I could be typing a word document and just out of nowhere the screen goes blank and goes to the DOS bootup screen and starts up. What the hell?

Maybe the power supply is going out XD
I guess it is finally time for a re-format... no fun to play with a computer that doesn't quite work anymore, eh?

For a while, I had this weird problem with my computer. It was nearly the same as one that has been listed. It woud just cut off suddenly. Usually within minutes of booting up. However, one weird thing, is that it was just Windows doing it. I'd boot into Linux, wait for an hour, and it would still be running fine. Now, Windows is no longer cutting off. What's weirder is how I stopped the problem: I cleaned out the dust inside the CPU case. (Maybe Windows has some weird feature that cuts the computer off if the CPU is dusty? Heh, I doubt it.). Some of the problems that I have dealt with (and seen/hear about others dealing with) can be just plain weird sometimes.All I can say is, go with what has already been suggested. That may actually help you get a more stable system (although I have heard many bad things about Windows ME). Anyway, I hope you can get those problems of yours taken care of.

Some free ones would be like avg anti-virus

Thanks. I do have this however. I think that a format is truly the answer. You know how it is though, submerged in your own situation you just think of how to make the best of it. But it pulls you in further and further untill you try to make the best of ridiculous nonsense. So it is helpful to have someone from the outside come up with a fresh perspective and simlpy say it is intolerable. I think I will format it..

Let's see.. my list of computer anomolies.1. I have NEVER been able to get 2 Western Digital EIDE drives to work on the same IDE chain.2. I have never had a working floppy drive. Even brand new ones installed correctly didn't work. Made it a little difficult in school.3. I've had a CD shatter in a CD-ROM before. That was interesting. Had to scrap the drive too.4. On my last 3 brand new motherboards, the onboard lan consistently does not work.5. I get the random re-booting quite often (6-7 times a day when I'm on it..) and some random freezes. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the processor.That's Celeron hard at work for ya! >=P <- Mr Yuck says no more Celerons after this.I dunno.. those are just the stranger things. With my computer it's just one thing after an other. I could get detailed and make a more indepth list, but that's a story for another day.

3. A program or game quitting for no reason- when playing a game online with a friend for 3 hours and waiting to see how it will end, the game will suddenly close with no explanation and happily display my desktop as if nothing happened. Infuriating!

That happens to you too? I hate that!

My weird problem is,Whenever I install ICQ... sometimes it freezes while using it but it freezes always when I want to close the computer. (even if I uninstall it)I tried it 3 timesFor once, It run smooth for a month.So now, I afraid to install it, 'cause I dont afford a format...

I changed my whole computer in september last year and I've had very little anomolies since then. Almoust no freezes and restarts. That sounds even wierder then having that anomolies :rolleyes: .Still I'm very happy with the way my computer works. Only had one problem with my DVD Writer which two weeks died (it stopped rotating discs). Other then that only the normal windows related freezes.My old computer was like a dictionary of anomolies:1. Often restarts and freezes (not related to software)2. I often turned on my computer, but for some reason it didn't give the command to the monitor to come on from standby3. Weird sound coming from my fans even if I cleaned oftenThat's only what I remember, but I'm sure it had much more problems. I always imagined that the problems I had came from the heat and from the "no name" power supply. That's why when I bought the new computer I paid a small fortune on the case and on the power supply. Now I have 3 case fans installed, one 120mm and 2 80mm. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it seems they did the trick...

I've had terrible experience with window versions older than XP. For me XP has been very stable. I hear that ME is one of the worst. The problems you are facing could be caused by viruses, spyware or instability of the operating system. I suggest backing up everything that you need and formating your computer to a different operating system. If linux alternatives are available for the programs you are using then I suggest installing linux after you format (my personal recommendation for a distro is Ubuntu). If you want to stick with windows then I would suggest buying a copy of windows xp. If you choose to stick with windows then don't forget to install an anti-virus program and anti-spyware program right after windows is installed.

3. A program or game quitting for no reason- when playing a game online with a friend for 3 hours and waiting to see how it will end, the game will suddenly close with no explanation and happily display my desktop as if nothing happened. Infuriating!

That happens to me usually when I'm out of RAM... My 256MB ram isn't enough for me... My computer has these annoying slowdowns.

Anyway, it's good you decided to do a reformat. Give your computer some love! It deserves it! :) A reformat usually does the trick if software can't fix the problem anymore... and maybe some new hardware might do nicely.