xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheMessage

Longhorn Will Steal Our Freewill possible elimination of total control over your PC

The TPM chip is just like an ID card for your PC. Just like the ID cards in the UK, I am not opposed to having one, what I am worried about is the data that it contains and the possibility of that data being used for malicious purposes. Surely hackers would develop software to read the 'key' from your TPM chip, and then create a chip with that key and install it in their own PC, then they have full access to the Internet as if they are you.I would also get worried about freedom of speech and things like that. It would be much easier to trace anything on the Internet to a specific PC, and people who express certain views and opinions could be traced, although they may not want to be. Also, what would happen with PCs in places like schools, colleges and libraries? They are used by hundreds of people, so people could still use these PCs to do activities the TPM chip aims to stop.Reading further into the TPM project and Trusted Computing, it seems that they have mainly been installed in PCs for office use and large corporate networks, and that they are mainly activated by network admins for logging and security checks. They are lso used to ensure that if a PC gets stolen, it can't be used, and it stops people conecting their own PC onto the corporate network. Also, there are plans to put a manual user override into the chips, so users can change settings and effectively turn them on and off.

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

The TPM chip is just like an ID card for your PC. Just like the ID cards in the UK, I am not opposed to having one, what I am worried about is the data that it contains and the possibility of that data being used for malicious purposes. Surely hackers would develop software to read the 'key' from your TPM chip, and then create a chip with that key and install it in their own PC, then they have full access to the Internet as if they are you.
I would also get worried about freedom of speech and things like that. It would be much easier to trace anything on the Internet to a specific PC, and people who express certain views and opinions could be traced, although they may not want to be. Also, what would happen with PCs in places like schools, colleges and libraries? They are used by hundreds of people, so people could still use these PCs to do activities the TPM chip aims to stop.

Reading further into the TPM project and Trusted Computing, it seems that they have mainly been installed in PCs for office use and large corporate networks, and that they are mainly activated by network admins for logging and security checks. They are lso used to ensure that if a PC gets stolen, it can't be used, and it stops people conecting their own PC onto the corporate network. Also, there are plans to put a manual user override into the chips, so users can change settings and effectively turn them on and off.

You are really missing the point!

IT's about MONEY and CONTROL!

Look at the big picture here!

When did you know that the computer you have might have one of these chips in it?
When did you hear about the Total Power Module?

Were you given a choice not to have it installed!

Also they can be activated without you knowing it!

Oh! wait you think it's only for the business computers.

Open your eyes! Computers control everything in this world!

It's people like you that allow this type of unfair control to rise and change it's colors!

It's people like you that beleive what you read and not what you don't!

These chips have been around since 2003 look they even have them built in some CPUs!

What choice do you think they will give us over this control?

You think they will allow us to just turn it off!

I have been in computer security before the first worm was discovered!

Look at sony using a rootkit to protect it's profits!

You think they cared about the musicians that they infected with this crap!
How about them they can't even sell their cds now because people are scared to use them!

Wake up! This is CONTROL!

People need to be educated more about computers! Then they can make the choice!

Not just shove this type of control down our throats!

Any computer can be protected without this type of control all we need to do is educate people!

This type of control is about power! Power over the users or slaves!
Edited by TheMessage (see edit history)

no the chips are in most systems already but when vista comes out it will be in full force. But im surprise the government Hasn't said anything about this type of computer control. Of course the next worse possible thing the government will have complete control of the internet that means not even searching the word "apple" could get you thrown in jail. This sound like a communist dictatorship. (I might as well live in china then)(no offense)

As far as I know, the purpose of the TPM chips are to enhance security, not enable full control of our PCs by the software companies. But I just hope that my 2005 HP isn't affected by the TPM chip. The chances of this machine getting Vista is slim to none, as my father likes to wait a very long time before upgrading our technology in this house.

Thats exactly what they want us to think!They want us to agree to this new type of security then once we do they change it!MS is not very happy about the success of Linux! But BG has to play by the rules!Beleive me there is a much bigger picture here! TPM must not be allowed to be activated!Spread the word! Tell everyone about this type of security! Tell the controllers we don't want it!

Edited by TheMessage (see edit history)

Millions of people are using microsoft operating systems. If they want to monitor and control mine with other million users let them do. I don't think they are stupid enough to do such things. What will they gain in general. It may have the capacity to take control of our computers but I don't think they will eventually do it. I don't see any good reason for them to do. If you and I are thinking this way, a smart guy like Bill Gates will not do. This is my simple reasoning.Longhord screen-shots are awesome, they look beautiful and I hope it performs too.

Millions of people are using microsoft operating systems. If they want to monitor and control mine with other million users let them do. I don't think they are stupid enough to do such things. What will they gain in general. It may have the capacity to take control of our computers but I don't think they will eventually do it. I don't see any good reason for them to do. If you and I are thinking this way, a smart guy like Bill Gates will not do. This is my simple reasoning.
Longhord screen-shots are awesome, they look beautiful and I hope it performs too.

That is the point of that chip which they are making. Everything is automated and they don't have to manually control anything remotely. The chip, programmed to do all the stuff, will handle every of your doings on your computer, making sure you don't screw up their system. It is made to destroy all your precious data which were not created with geniune software automatically without them controlling it remotely.

By having this chip installed on your hardware, whatever you files you've created with that computer will no longer compatible with computers which does not have the chip installed, even it's it's the same operating system, same hardware, same applications installed, except that chip. In future, as companies and individual buy new computers, the older computers, which are what we are using now, will be virtually locked out of the rest of the IT world. No longer we can share files with those computers with that chip installed, not even in a secured local area network.

This idea should be stopped. It's rather a form of corruption to the IT industry more than saving manufacturers' products. It is a sure lose competition for computer owners and a sure win competition for those companies making and supporting that chip. They make sure you buy new computers, installed with geniune applications and use every single software that is paid for legally.

I do think that Microsoft power will reach apocaliptic levels if anybody (justice, other OS, etc) stop them. Maybe it?s not something so inminent but who knows what kind of plans have Gates & friends for the world. I don?t want to be spyed in my own room without agreeing or even knowing it.

I do think that Microsoft power will reach apocaliptic levels if anybody (justice, other OS, etc) stop them. Maybe it´s not something so inminent but who knows what kind of plans have Gates & friends for the world. I don´t want to be spyed in my own room without agreeing or even knowing it.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is just scaremongering. I find it highly unlikely that Microsoft will be able to control what software is run on your computer, and that only signed ones are ran. The article I think is rather misleading, as it lists all of the things that may be possible with this technology, but will never happen in reality.

If I wrote an article saying that the we should stop connecting to the internet, because Microsoft is able to download a piece of software to users computers that will corrrupt every file on our hardrives through the Windows Update system, I'd be ridiculed!

Look maybe your right!Maybe nothing will happen!Maybe thats why this chip has been so top secert since 2003!Maybe with this new technology it will make all of our computers safer!Maybe Microsoft really cares about it's users!Microsoft has always been fair to it's users and upfront with everything it does!Maybe Microsoft really wants to help Linux and all the freesoftware users!Maybe Microsoft will lower all of it's software prices!Maybe Microsoft will start to give us free open source code!Look at the facts! This chip has been out in the public since 2003!I am sure it was thought of way before then!Did anyone tell you about it?Or was this the first place you read about it? and it's what 2006!Also, what about sony?Would you ever beleive sony would install software on our computers without our permission?ALL I WANT TO DO IS LET EVERY ONE KNOW ABOUT THIS TPM CHIP!and guess what there will be no way to turn it off!Vista will tell you that unless you have this chip it will not install!This is one of the reasons MS pulled back on the release of vista!They need their big suppliers like Dell, HP, and others to get more computers with this chip in them out to the public!Wake up! It's all about the money!

Now I can honestly say I found something that frightens me. Security? It only secures our own computer against us! Yes, it's all about control. Control the population, control how they think. Take away our freedoms and our God given rights. Slowly, shackles are placed upon us, restricting us more and more. Like the frog in the pan of water. Eventually, as the fire is raised, the frog doesn't jump out and boils to death. The changes are so gradual we do not notice them and next thing ya know... it's too late.

Edited by True2Earn (see edit history)