xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xaetos

Blood Type Genetics

In response to the original poster's question about how the mother could be type AB and the child type O, I offer two POSSIBLE explanations:1.) A non disjunction event occurred during Anaphase I of oogenesis, and the egg that was later fertilized ended up with no copies of Chromosome 9. In other words, when your mother was producing eggs many years ago, one of those eggs had a problem during replication and ended up with no copies of the chromosome that carries the bloodtype allele. Therefore, your mother's bloodtype genes had NO IMPACT on your bloodtype genotype. In this case, you would have inherited only one chromosome 9 (from your father), and thus would have whatever genotype that allele corresponded to (so if your father is bloodtype O, you would definitely be bloodtype O). If this explanation is true, you only have 45 chromosomes (called monosomy) and are missing a copy of chromosome 9. A genetic counselor could confirm this by performing a karyotype.2.) The different between the Bloodtype A allele (iA) and blood type O allele (i) is very small: deleting a single G base at position 261 in the iA allele will cause it to become a i allele. The different between these two alleles is one base. It is possible that a spontaneous mutation occured, causing a iA allele in your mother's eggs to become an i allele, and hence you became a type O child.

In response to the original poster's question about how the mother could be type AB and the child type O, I offer two POSSIBLE explanations:1.) A non disjunction event occurred during Anaphase I of oogenesis, and the egg that was later fertilized ended up with no copies of Chromosome 9. In other words, when your mother was producing eggs many years ago, one of those eggs had a problem during replication and ended up with no copies of the chromosome that carries the bloodtype allele. Therefore, your mother's bloodtype genes had NO IMPACT on your bloodtype genotype. In this case, you would have inherited only one chromosome 9 (from your father), and thus would have whatever genotype that allele corresponded to (so if your father is bloodtype O, you would definitely be bloodtype O). If this explanation is true, you only have 45 chromosomes (called monosomy) and are missing a copy of chromosome 9. A genetic counselor could confirm this by performing a karyotype.2.) The different between the Bloodtype A allele (iA) and blood type O allele (i) is very small: deleting a single G base at position 261 in the iA allele will cause it to become a i allele. The different between these two alleles is one base. It is possible that a spontaneous mutation occured, causing a iA allele in your mother's eggs to become an i allele, and hence you became a type O child.

My father-in-law is AB-. I know this because he is a frequent blood donor and has told us this more than once. My mother-in-law, his ex, is according to her daughter, 0+. She read this on a lab report for her mother. My husband is A+ like me and our children are all A+. Both my parents are A+. However; my sister-in-laws are 0+ and 0-. I don't know what their children are. Though I know the O- one's child has a positive father, as she received a RhoGam when pregnant. My husband's aunt (his father's sister) was also negative and married to a positive man as her children received blood transfusions at birth or whatever they did before RhoGam.As far as the genetics go. All I know is what I have read. It seems A from an AB parent can read as O or be mutated to an O because they are similar and the mutation is a very slight variation. I also read that sometimes an AB may carry their genes as AB & O rather then A & B. I think one of these situations was called Bombay phenotype or syndrome. It appears blood types are more complicated then just ABO+ & ABO-, there are other attachments-(my wording) that makes them present differently then what they actually should be read as. It is all very interesting. Having researched my family genealogy, I am my own cousin more than once, thank goodness for those who married outside the family, (lol) so I would guess that it was inevitable for my blood type to be A+. Especially much to mom's chagrin her and my dad are cousins at least twice though several generations removed. Now my husband's genealogy is more varied. I can't go back more then a 1/2 dozen generations on both sides, but so far I've haven't found any cousin marriages in his family tree.Eye color is interesting too. I know several brown eyed people who had two blue-eyed parents, so they should have had blue eyes too. Yet I have read that there is a common mutation for this which explains the people I know. For example, I have an brown eyed aunt, the daughter of my blue eyed grandparents. She looks just like one of her father's aunts as well as his cousin, the daughter of this aunt. Goes to prove genes are complicated and changeable.My understanding is two negatives can not produce a positive, but a positive could produce a negative. Let n stand for negative and p for postive, so thennn & nn = nn which read negative, as it is recessive. While np & pn = nn or pp or np or pn. So nn is recessive while p is dominant so pp, np & pn are all positive. So a two positive parents can have a positive and a negative gene and can produce either positive or negative children. While two negative parents can only produce negative children unless there is a mutation and describing that is above my understanding.I also read something which to my understanding makes me think 2 0's could produce an A though not a B if the O parents's had had AB parents which means they could be really A's who because of mutation present as an 0, which would or could possibly allow them to have a child who is A, though never B. It was more complicated then that, yet that is the understanding I gleaned from reading about AB, AB~Bombay phenotype and other mutations. So if my understanding is correct then perhaps you could be your parents' child and a mutation rather then adopted.

Blood Type GeneticsBlood Type Genetics<p> I am answering the question of whether or not it is possible for someone to have type O blood and their parent have type AB.  It is impossible.  I would recommend having your blood tested or your mother's blood tested again.  There is no possible way a parent with AB can have a child with O.  Both parents have to have the allele (I) for O blood.  Your mother only has the alleles for A blood and B blood.  Either the blood tests were not accurate, or maybe you were adopted?</p>-reply by Teresa McGinnis

I am ab- and my mother is 0-, which according to the american red cross is not possible, but I also have three friends whom have the same situation between them and their children. It is more than likely a mutation or evolution.

I am b- and my son is O-. What could his father be? My mom is O+ and my dad is AB-. Does this have anything to do his bloot type also??

The Answer is YOUR NOT THE FATHER absolutely 100% sure it means your wife cheated you.. if you still don't believe try to have a DNA Test for your baby..

The Answer is YOUR NOT THE FATHER absolutely 100% sure it means your wife cheated you.. if you still don't believe try to have a DNA Test for your baby..

NO! You have a B allele from your father, and an O allele from your mother. Your son has your O and also an O from his father. This means you are BO expressed as B, your son is OO, and his father is either OO, AO, or BO.

I am B positive and my husband is O positive. Our child turned out to be A positive. Any thoughts?

As a B, you are either BB, or BO. Your husband can only be OO. These combinations could produce only BO or OO. If you are certain of your child's paternity, I suggest you reread some of the earlier posts on mutation. Non disjunction would not apply as there is no A anywhere.

My mother was 0+ and my father was b+ MY BLOOD TYPE IS AB RH + IO NEAD TO KNOW ITS THAT POSIBLE TO HAVE BLOOD TYPE AB+ IF MY MOTHER WAS 0+?