xisto Community
PIPER-4-HIRE

Stem Cell Research Stem Cell Research- Should We Accept It?

Do You Support Stem Cell Research?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stem Cell Research has the Potential to cure everything from the common cold to Cancer, Paralysis, and the Organ Donor Waiting List. I would like to know what everyone thinks about the majority of North America beleives that it is wrong and/or Inhumane / Unethical.

There's one controversy in stem cell research I don't understand: establishing new stem cell lines from refuse tissue at fertility clinics. I can understand and respect the idea that killing a zygote destroys a human life (well, as long as the belief isn't actively forced onto others), but in the case where the cells are going to be destroyed anyway, why is it still such a moral problem? As far as I know all of the current (government funded) stem cell lines in the United States are pretty much useless, because of contamination from genetic crossover with mice DNA, so it makes sense to procure new lines, if possible, without offending anyone's moral beliefs. Does anyone have thoughts to why this particular venue (where the cells are going to be disgarded and destroyed anyway) is morally wrong?

I have to say im tottaly FOR stem cell research.The way i see it, its not doing any harm, only good. They take the stem cells from UNBORN fetuses. If they are unborn that means that they wouldn't have lived anyways so why not take their cells and help someone ?A dear friend of mine had a terrible car accident 6 months ago and is now paralyzed from the waist down. Doctors said that her spinal cord wasn't moved but she lost some nerves. Stem cells could help her but they're illegal in the states. She is now on a 4 years waiting list for a treatment at a Spanish stem cell clinic. This is also costing her a lot of money. My point is that since its proven that it can help people, and you're not killing anyone for it...why not make it legal here in the US so everyone can benefit from it ?I guess it's the same as the pro-choice vs pro-life issue. The government today is still hung up on religion and as far as i know government and religion should be 2 different things that never mix.I hope they legalize stem cell and im sure they will in the next 10-20 years because the govermnet will finally realize the benefits and the fact that there are no downfalls to it, just old fashioned people who don't think its right.

Not many Christians are that active on the subject of testing on animals. They are alive and therefore they shouldn't complain about testing on humans.The problem is that humans general count themselves as superior to other life forms. I believe the human race is less than most other life forms as we've done more damage to the planet than them.Stem cell research is simply testing on unborn children. This may seem harh but thats the same as testing on unborn ape/ants/snakes/ eating an egg.

ok heres the deal taht i see...ethics mostly... i hate u damn people that belive every good thing is unethical... (besides the mass genocides of the early 1900's... genocide=bad...)but stem cells yes come from fetuses... (unborn babies)... this is where they ethics come in... first however some info you need to know...Stem cells have the ability to become anything and organ-tisue-brain cells... EVERYTHING.... they are just a cell that is told to do something and it makes new ones...so heres a question for you. say someone needs a lung transplant... he cant get a new lung right away lets say hes on the waiting list for 3 years or something... idk lol with stem cells we could have a stock supply of organs and stuff waiting to be used at any moment... we can tell them waht type of blood to need and eveything... Massive burn victims we can grow new skin for them to have to replace the burnt skin...the possibilities are endless... but ethics prevent us from doing anything...heres another thing... people can abort babies... (killing the unborn baby...)WTF isnt that just as bad as taking the ABORTED baby for science... instead of throwing it away use it for fing science... waht else can it do... sit in a trash and decompse... damnit u friggen people who belive everything is unethical...

ok heres the deal taht i see...

ethics mostly... i hate u damn people that belive every good thing is unethical... (besides the mass genocides of the early 1900's... genocide=bad...)

but stem cells yes come from fetuses... (unborn babies)... this is where they ethics come in...

first however some info you need to know...

Stem cells have the ability to become anything and organ-tisue-brain cells... EVERYTHING.... they are just a cell that is told to do something and it makes new ones...

so heres a question for you. say someone needs a lung transplant... he cant get a new lung right away lets say hes on the waiting list for 3 years or something... idk lol with stem cells we could have a stock supply of organs and stuff waiting to be used at any moment... we can tell them waht type of blood to need and eveything...

Massive burn victims we can grow new skin for them to have to replace the burnt skin...

the possibilities are endless... but ethics prevent us from doing anything...

heres another thing... people can abort babies... (killing the unborn baby...)

WTF isnt that just as bad as taking the ABORTED baby for science... instead of throwing it away use it for fing science... waht else can it do... sit in a trash and decompse... damnit u friggen people who belive everything is unethical...

That is my point damn hippie tree huggers and the"We dont think that parents should be able to abort their children" ppl(which by the way, according to the law are wrong-The law states that until a fetus is 22 wks old-it is NOT alive, and until the child is 18 yrs of age it has no legal say in its life)

If we were to take 1 fetus and harvest the stem cells we could save more lives than if that child grew up and donated blood regularly.

Fascinating debate !A stem cell is just a machine that happens to be biological.It does not think for itself. It is "living" (in the sense it is biological, but not "alive" (in the sense that people reading this are!).Stem cells can be taken from the umbilical cord of a newborn, stored, and used later to manufacture new blood, organs and tissue, for that same newborn when they are injured, have a disease or grow old!Stem cell research has the potential to prevent all deaths.Stem cell research, if allowed to continue, has the potential to ensure that humans attain biological IMMORTALITY.Stem cell research helping us reach the ultimate aim of medicine - CURE ALL ailments and injuries.If stem cell research is wrong, then ALL medical intervention must also be wrong. Vaccines, blood donation, x-rays, plasters / band aids, etc, all wrong!Feedback appreciated!

Fascinating debate !
A stem cell is just a machine that happens to be biological.

It does not think for itself. It is "living" (in the sense it is biological, but not "alive" (in the sense that people reading this are!).

Stem cells can be taken from the umbilical cord of a newborn, stored, and used later to manufacture new blood, organs and tissue, for that same newborn when they are injured, have a disease or grow old!

Stem cell research has the potential to prevent all deaths.

Stem cell research, if allowed to continue, has the potential to ensure that humans attain biological IMMORTALITY.

Stem cell research helping us reach the ultimate aim of medicine - CURE ALL ailments and injuries.

If stem cell research is wrong, then ALL medical intervention must also be wrong.

Vaccines, blood donation, x-rays, plasters / band aids, etc, all wrong!

Feedback appreciated!

Essentially you're right however there are some minor discrepencies with your under standing.

Stem cell research has the potential to prevent all deaths.
Stem cell research, if allowed to continue, has the potential to ensure that humans attain biological IMMORTALITY.

????[/tab][tab]That is not right, possible, but wrong. Stem cells CAN be used to grow new organs, Skin, Even Brain Matter, but they cannot give us immortality. If you were dying of old age due to organ failure we could prolong your suffering but eventually you would be to weak to function.

Y would you wanna live forever anyway, i mean even if we were all immortal that would mean we would have to work longer, go to school longer and be bored for longer.

I'm all for stem cell research. It's embryonic stem cell research I have a problem with, as do many Christians. They could use stem cells from all other areas of the body for their research for the exact same purposes. Yes, the cells wouldn't be quite as effective as embryonic ones, but it would avoid the controversy and work quite well anyway. Why is it, do you think, that they insist on creating and destroying human beings for their research when it is unnecessary?

i'm totally for stem cell research. Sure.. many christians say it's against moral and everything. .and we, as human, shouldn't play god, but if god really did created us and gave us the intelligent to do something like that.. then use it. I just don't know what is wrong with playing god. It's not like we are going out and kill bunch of humans. All we are doing is just trying to clone humans... or even just a part of a human body to help people. To me, there isn't anything wrong with that. FOr most people, they don't know the feeling of those that have dieases and knowing stem cell research is their only way to escape death. Those people that are saying stem cell research or like cloning is wrong, i really think they are hypocrites. If they themselves have the disease, i'm sure 9 out of those 10 that said it is wrong and all those crap, will have a different view of that. If we all are stuck with these kind of moral thinking, our human race will never get more advance.

I am all for stem cell research, too. Stem cell is merely a potential, not an actual human. Those Chritians have problems with sacrificing cluster consisted of 150 cells, but it is ok to kill an ape who was huge brain which consists of few bilion cells. This whole thing should be no-brainer, really.

Its bad enough the mother aborted the baby, and then to use it for science is wrong. The unborn BABY atleast deserves to be burried (not put into a trash can) if it isn't allowed to live. I'm against embryotic stem cell research. (question: Say If someone had a miscarriage, could they donate that? That in my opinion would be a little better then using aborted babies because it was intended by the mother, and there was something wrong with the baby, so for it to used for research wouldn't be nearly as bad as a fetus that was aborted.)

In my opinion no life is more important than anyone elses, we are all equal and the aborted baby, shouldn't be used to save someone elses life, it was going to be a new being, before someone decided to destroy it. And its almost life, is just as equal to the life it *could* be saving, thus it shouldn't be used because it deserves something better than anything scientific.

Note : Im NOT christian, and I am also AGAINST testing on animals. I am against all testing that could harm a living thing, and anything that harms a once could be living thing.

i'm totally for stem cell research. Sure.. many christians say it's against moral and everything. .and we, as human, shouldn't play god, but if god really did created us and gave us the intelligent to do something like that.. then use it. I just don't know what is wrong with playing god. It's not like we are going out and kill bunch of humans. All we are doing is just trying to clone humans... or even just a part of a human body to help people. To me, there isn't anything wrong with that.
FOr most people, they don't know the feeling of those that have dieases and knowing stem cell research is their only way to escape death. Those people that are saying stem cell research or like cloning is wrong, i really think they are hypocrites. If they themselves have the disease, i'm sure 9 out of those 10 that said it is wrong and all those crap, will have a different view of that.

If we all are stuck with these kind of moral thinking, our human race will never get more advance.

God also gave us intelligence such that we are capable of creating atomic bombs and blowing up the earth. Should we do that as well?

Ultimately, who decides what is right and wrong? You are judging it based on your feelings but then conclude that we should not be stuck with this "kind of moral thinking." Isn't that a contradiction? Ultimately, how do we decide what is right and wrong if we all contradict in our feelings of it?

And finally, it's the same kind of "moral thinking" that holds us back from killing off all our old people, the sick people, and the poor people. Some could argue that the world would have less to feed and more population room without them. Should we kill them in the same way since it's simply "moral thinking" holding us back from being more advanced? Is society's advancement then worth the lives of the helpless?

I could be mistaken, but from what I've read/heard, embryonic stem cell research has made very little progress. I am very much for stem cell research, but if embryonic stem cells don't work, there's no point in pursuing them.On the other hand, if the fetus is already dead, they might as well be used for something.