xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fermy

Windows Setup

i got myself a brand new custum made computer... i go to install windows on it, i put in the cd, wait for it to tel me what to do...then it freezes!!!and i cant figure out why!!! i have done a format on the computer 5 times and still get this damned problem, the wierd thing is that i CAN install linux and run it but i am unable to run windows let alone install it!!!! please help me out i dont want this conmputer to be a wast of money!Thanks In Advance!!!!fermy :angry:

I notice this is in the Vent Topics. Might be better served in the Computer Hardware Section. I will move it for you.

You claimed that you were able to install Linux on your new customed-made computer, but not Windows (assuming Windows XP). Reformatting your harddisk for more than 5 times was more than enough to show the harddisk is in perfect working condition, together with the installation of Linux. I'm currently expecting that your Windows XP CD might be damaged or contained corrupted files or data because it worked fine for Linux, which was also, assumed, installed from a CD. You can double check and confirm if it's the Windows XP CD fault by placing another bootable CD in the drive while rebooting the computer. You computer should not hang. Hence, if you had bought this new Windows XP software together with your customed-made computer, get back to your computer dealer with your purchase receipt as soon as possible to get a replacement of your CD.Also remember to reformat your computer again to install the new copy of your Windowx XP. This is to prevent any faulty or test data exist on the harddisk.

like what inspiron said,what do you check your setup CD.are you sure it is a undamaged cd?according to you statement for your computer and the process of setup,your harddisk is supposed to work fine,without problem.so before define whats wrong with your pc,my advising you to check your cd in others pc... good luck

Another item that may be worth noting: If you try your Windows disk on another machine and it doesn't hang up at the same point, it very well could be a defective CD DRIVE. Before you say that that could not be the problem, I had a drive that worked great up until a certain sector of the disk. Just a thought. (Your Linux disk may have been smaller in size, therefore not reaching the sector that is hanging on your drive.) I would suggest using some type of utility to examine that drive. Good luck.

you might want to set your jumpers settings. If two drives are both set to master at the same time might cause a computer to freezes. And like everyone else.. you should try to use a different xp cd. It would be more helpful if you could tell us the complete sorry.. like When did you installed linux? Was it before attempting to install windows on your computer or after? It might helps it predicting the problems.

you might want to set your jumpers settings. If two drives are both set to master at the same time might cause a computer to freezes. And like everyone else.. you should try to use a different xp cd.

Good point regarding the jumper settings. However, Fermy didn't say anything about having more than 1 harddisk present in his computer. Furthermore, even with both drives were set as masters in the jumper settings, he would not be able to install Linux and having the chance to reformat his harddisk 5 times. Simply, his computer might not even boot up and error beeping tones will sound in the BIOS when multiple harddisk drives were set as masters.