xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
w0rSt_FuSi0n

Counter-strike Model Maker

I had Valve Hammer Editor some time ago, but I never figured out how to use that software. It seemed like a pretty difficult one, and the guy who suggested it to me said that he's not doing that kind of stuff anymore because it's too difficult for him as well. So I deleted the program, because of the reason I didn't wanted to waste my time at something I couldn't do. But anyway, I will try to find it again and maybe even try making maps, but what's the point in doing it, there are lots of ,maps already.

Well you would need a steam account, Then you would need to go to tools and download source SDK (Free) then you would go onto the hammer editor and open up an orginal skin for the size. Then you add what you want and remove what you want :D

Basically and obviously you'd need to "configure" Valve Hammer Editor, then you'd be able to edit and make your maps. Make sure though that everything is correctly done when configuring Hammer or else it will not work for you. (I experianced that myself).

A Hammer Tutorial Below:

Configuring Hammer and working with CSS Console

Directory Structure and Important Mapping Files

The directory structure set up by Steam seems convoluted and confusing at first, but it's actually quite logical. You need to get acquainted with where all the important mapping files are located and the function of various files in mapping.

Most importantly, the .BSP file is what the compiler generates after you have compiled your map from Hammer. This is located in the directory:

SteamApps\<your steam id>\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps

For all of you nit-pickers out there, I know that there are technically two copies of .BSP files. The original copy is actually stored with the map's source file. You don't really have to worry about that copy most of the times. It's an useful fact to remember, however, if the other copy of .BSP gets corrupted or deleted. But you can't depend on this copy as a reliable backup. If something bad happens to your map, both copies are likely to be affected at the same time.

Your map source code has the extension .VMF, the source map must be compiled first before it can be loaded up in-game. It is located in a different directory:

SteamApps\<your steam id>\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your map's source code. In case it gets overwritten or deleted (which always seems to happen after you've spent a few months on your most ambitious project), you'll be crying like a baby for days.

Lastly, the .NAV file is generally quite small. It's stored in the same directory as your .BSP file. It contains the navigational mesh after you added a bot to your custom map for the first time. I'll discuss bot navigational tuning in a future lesson.

You might have noticed already that all the official CS:S maps are stored somewhere else in Steam. You can't really access these maps or their .BSP files. At least that's why Valve wants me to say. Decompiling other people's maps is not considered to be the action of an honorable mapper.

Setting Up Folders on Your Computer

As a mapper, you'll access these directories frequently. It's inconvenient and tedious to go through the Explorer directory tree over and over again, so it's best to make shortcuts to these directories on your Desktop or in the Windows Start menu.

I made a shortcut to

SteamApps\<your steam id>\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps

and another one to

SteamApps\<your steam id>\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc.

In addition, I created a new folder called

games/maps/archive.

It's where I keep all the backup copies for my maps and source codes. Trust me, backups will one day be your friend. It'll save you from countless grief and sorrow in your future mapping career. I typically copy the .BSP and the .VMF files to this directory. It's all too easy to overwrite your masterpiece with a small test map that you're working on.

There is hundreds of Tutorials on Counter-Strike Planet! :D

To read some Tutorials click Below:

CSPlanet Tutorials

-Sky. :P

Basically and obviously you'd need to "configure" Valve Hammer Editor, then you'd be able to edit and make your maps. Make sure though that everything is correctly done when configuring Hammer or else it will not work for you. (I experianced that myself).

A Hammer Tutorial Below:

There is hundreds of Tutorials on Counter-Strike Planet! :D

To read some Tutorials click Below:

CSPlanet Tutorials

-Sky. :D

Thanks sky for that, I have just tried making my own but came to a fail XD Only thing I am good at is Photo shop and making computers :P !

Edited by Ash-Bash (see edit history)

yall is crazyCounter-strike Model MakerAll you people must be lazy and crazy.. Hammer Editor is the basic level editor for half life, it also works with CS as its the same game engine... Setting up Hammer is as easy as using GOOGLE to find it... Pfft some people... The set up is basically the same as it is for all games it is compatible with... Ie tell it what files to use and it does it by itself... It is a solid geometry editor meaning, one thing can be used to carve another or many other things at once... I just cant believe people havent found it by themselves just google CS1.6 level editor or VALVE HAMMER EDITOR and its right there. It is a little confusing to use at first but eventually youll pick it up. Also, this IS the editor the ACTUAL games were made with so the quality of your levels can be the same as the games... Another thing worth mentioning is... Because computer power has and is increasing all the time, its possible to make levels with a stupid level of detail or complexity. Trouble is, its useless for open plan areas, thats why the actual Half life or Counterstrike games are all set in pretty small areas :DPS I know this is a long dead thread but CS1.6 and CS:S are still fairly popularReplying to w0rSt_FuSi0n-reply by FaiLbOy