xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BOAW

Tips On Defeating Spyware A Very Concise Guide

the only thing i think you need to do is just keep update the microsoft updates on microsoft.com n ull b fine cuz my comp has been goin through the spyware till i updated all the security stuff from there n i had no problems after that

No Microsoft Will NOT clear all the spyware off your system you must use additional software like spybot or ad-aware. It may look like its clean but all the microsoft spyware controls get about 45% of all the spyware on your system. They have improved this with SP2 but it still only gets a small perportion of the spyware on your system. REMEMBER: Microsoft says that you still should have spyware and virus cleaners on your system. Microsoft tools do not act as a subsitute. They may in the future but they dont right now.

Microsoft don't defaultly delete your spyware, but I'm pretty sure they've got an extremely good quality spyware application to download, which does remove spyware and probably adware.The program is called Microsoft AntiSpyware I believe, It's best to search google because I've never used it myself so don't know where to get it from etc. i've just heard good things about it from my college and someone else who's into computing.Hope this helps :)

ooo hah ok...idk becuase i jsut got my computer reformated....n i kept gettn lke spywawre or popups...so when i started doin the microsoft updates....n i saw alot of security updates so i figured that thous updates helped me prevent my computer from gettn xposed to spyware n popups....but i do also have programs lke anti spyware n ad-aware se personal

No microsoft windows updates won't get your computer spyware free, but an anti spyware / anti adware program like AdAware, Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware and Spybot will..Microsoft AntiSpyware works as well, but it's still beta and I ain't sure if it will stay free forever, and if you're going for a payed solution you should go Ad Aware or Zone Alarm...

the only thing i think you need to do is just keep update the microsoft updates on microsoft.com n ull b fine cuz my comp has been goin through the spyware till i updated all the security stuff from there n i had no problems after that

224883[/snapback]

It's not recommended to rely solely on Microsoft Windows updates and Microsoft Anti-Spyware to keep your system safe from uninvited guest. Additional Anti-Spyware programs, full version, not trial or betas, are recommended. Microsoft Anti-Spyware is currently a beta version, hence it cannot guarentee removal and detection of any existing spywares on your computer.

I'd recommend "Spybot - Search & Destroy", a very good anti-spyware program that is recognised by many users. Scanning for spyware at least once in a week will keep your computer away from spywares.

Very interesting. I've heard you need 2 or more anti-spyware programs to catch all the spyware is having more than two anti-spyware programs recommendded?

If not please explain.

225537[/snapback]

Any amount of Anti-Spyware programs are okay to install in your system. However it is not recommended to have more than 1 anti-spyware to auto-detect the presence of spyware real time. Hence you will need to disable all and only allow 1 program to auto-detect spywares. THe anti-spyware programs will probably crash or unable to detect spywares with multiple auto-detectors running simultaneously. Also, refrain from doing full scanning with multiple anti-spyware programs together. You will have to do it one anti-spyware program at a time.

Any amount of Anti-Spyware programs are okay to install in your system. However it is not recommended to have more than 1 anti-spyware to auto-detect the presence of spyware real time. Hence you will need to disable all and only allow 1 program to auto-detect spywares. THe anti-spyware programs will probably crash or unable to detect spywares with multiple auto-detectors running simultaneously. Also, refrain from doing full scanning with multiple anti-spyware programs together. You will have to do it one anti-spyware program at a time.

Thanks for the infomation. Umm i also have another question does one anti-spyware program detect 100% of all spyware?

Yes, most probably it will detect 100% of all spyware, provided you do consistant updates to your software. Also, it depends if the anti-spyware support in detecting a spyware. Some anti-spyware programs can detect some spyware while some others don't. But generally, most anti-spyware will detect most spyware programs. Refer to the documents of your anti-spyware program for any related notice regarding about this.

Spyware is very, very obnoxious--as I'm sure you all know. So here is a quick guide about how to get rid of it.

There are many programs out there that claim to be able to remove spyware, but most of them are ineffective at best and spyware themselves at worse. Therefore, let me suggest my two favorite programs. I would suggest using them in conjunction with eachother, as what one program might miss the other one will pickup.

Spybot Search & Destroy is a nice little program which is 100% free. The author asks for a donation for using his product, but it is completely optional. Besides detects spyware and malware this program allows you to 'immunaize' your computer from most of the threats, as well as (optionally) running special protection with internet explorer.

Ad-Aware SE is the free version of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware product. It contains many features (though a few of the more advanced ones are disabled as an insentive foryou to buy the full version), and detects a broad range of threats.

Lastly, if you still use a browser like Internet Explorer I strongly suggest that you switch over to Firefox, as it is much much more secure and will stop many threats before they even reach your computer.

These programs, combiened, should keep your computer pretty much spyware/malware free. Though none of this is an alternative to good browsing habbits. Only download/install things from sites that look legitament. And never click on an email attachment from someone you don't know.

Besides anti-Spyware and anti-Adware programs, this thread includes other security tools that are free to use and download.
Do contribute any free security tools that you know of to make a better list for all of us.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/34146-free-security-software-list-antivirus-firewall-antispyware-gather-and-make-a-list-of-free-security-software-here/

To keep my computer clean I use:1. Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware.2. Avira Ativir PersonalEdition (Anti Virus) - freeware.3. Sygate Pesonal Firewall - freeware.But most important, I am very particular about blocking all cookies with my browser (Firefox), with a few exceptions.Currently, the only cookies allowed to get through are:localhostgoogleXistowordpresshuffingtonpost(All trusted sites).If a site doesn't work properly because it needs a cookie, I allow cookies only for that session, then afterwards I check to see that no unwanted cookies are left lying around.So far this system has worked really well, I have not had any spyware on my computer for over a year.