xisto Community
semeticsister

Should've Been A Snow Day

Alright, so in case you didn't know, Minnesota (where I live) is one of the coldest, if not THE coldest state in the continental United States. Yesterday, we got hit by a massive blizzard which brought fifteen plus inches of snow during the night. I woke up the next morning and turned on the news channel to see if my school district would be closed. It turns out that our district was one of TWO that didn't declare a snow day, and our city was one of the hardest hit areas. I would've just stayed home if that day wasn't the beginning of a new trimester! So I went outside to wait for my bus, where the windchill was well below minus fifteen (already official criteria to close the school for the day). My bus is scheduled to come at seven thirty three. Ten minutes later. Fifteen minutes later. Our bus still hasn't come, and we are on the street corner freezing our butts off and protecting our selves against the harsh wind. Finally our bus came at about eight o'clock, and we were all sopping wet and frozen. So, what's the result of this? Right now, instead of being at school, I am in bed. Why? Because I am ill from standing out in the cold for a half hour yesterday.

So I went outside to wait for my bus, where the windchill was well below minus fifteen (already official criteria to close the school for the day). My bus is scheduled to come at seven thirty three. Ten minutes later. Fifteen minutes later. Our bus still hasn't come, and we are on the street corner freezing our butts off and protecting our selves against the harsh wind. Finally our bus came at about eight o'clock, and we were all sopping wet and frozen.
So, what's the result of this? Right now, instead of being at school, I am in bed. Why? Because I am ill from standing out in the cold for a half hour yesterday.

Lol Semeticsister, kinda now Minneapolis and surroundings, and guess what? I DO BELIEVE WHAT YOU WRITE IS TRUE :( .

I hope everything will turn turn up fine for you and that you get outa bed asap. You live in a fine area, nonetheless, and it would be a shame not to take full advantage of that.

Cheers! :(

Believe it or not but we get weather other than rain in Britain! Last year it snowed quite heavily and everyone was listening to the radio and watching local TV to see if the schools were closed. Every school except ours was closed! Go to the bus stop at ten to eight, no bus. At twenty past nine, an hour and a half after it was meant to arrive it finally turned up, but only 2 or 3 people were left at the bus stop, as most left as soon as they bore the vaguest resemblance to a snowman.When we got to school most of the teachers hadn't bothered to turn up either, which meant the day was spent in freezing cold rooms with supply teachers who weren't exactly sure what to do.

This happens all the time in every school district around the Earth. My school district is so bad at giving out snow days on the right day it is impossible to believe. One night it snows maby six inches outside. They have the plows clearing the streets all night so they were all clear in the morning. I go to school and it turns out we did not have to go that day. A while later it snows a ton and there is snow everywhere the road was dangerous to drive on I am surprised I did not get into a crash on the way to school. We should not have gone but we did anyway. A few weeks later it is sleeting outside like you would not beleive. It kept comming down on the road and freezing. Again we should not have had school but we did. I have no idea how they decide on what becomes a snow day but when you are at school waiting more than twenty minutes for all the buses to come in you should not have school. I do not even bother checking any more because schools have no idea what days you should have a snowday.

Our school's offical policy was NEVER to close the school for reasons of weather. Buses could stop running at the discretion of the drivers, but never the entire school. We did close for three days there was a little flooding and long story short the basement had several inches of water running through it, that and the doors were blocked to keep more water out!Now I'd like to make a commentary, I don't know anything about Fahrenheit, born and raised in Canada but google tells me that -15F is about -26. You'll remember when I said busses could stop running at their discression. Our old division policy (were in the middle of changes) was that unless road conditions prohibited otherwise that busses were to keep running until -40 (same in Fahrenheit or Celsius) or -45 with a windchill. Infact last year the tempurature hit -50 (that's -58 Fahrenheit) and our entire school went outside to celibrate by throwing boiling water into the air and watching it freeze before it hit the ground.Please don't complain. And I'll try to do likewise. Although I know how you feel when other schools close because of weather, we have a new teacher and she said that her old school was considering closing for a few days in the summer to cool down the air.

You wanna know something funny? I live in Houston, and my school used to have extra days of school incase of a snow storm. If you've ever been in Houston, you'll be laughing your butt off right now, because it's pretty much summer right now.

When i was in high school a few years ago we had the same thing except since i live in Pennsylvania it was more of an ice storm with snow instead of a 15 inch snow storm. I did not get sick from standing outside because i was a junior and drove to school but instead we had a person get killed in a car crash where the car hit a patch of ice and it slid into a rail. It is the stupidity of the school district that caused this and causes numerous problems just because they want to get out on time in the summer and / or just dont think "anything will happen" under bad circumstances. What is ironic is that in middle school and high school they always preach that us of that age group think we are "superhuman" and nothing would ever happen to us but i really think that the same philosophy can be said about the districts. Hope you feel better and your school doesnt have to go through what mine did just because of a stupid decision they made

I had something similar happen. Everywhere it was raining so much that lots of areas became flooded. Our school was the only one to stay open along with one or two in the area even though so much water surrounded the school. Kids who walked to school had to walk in the humungous puddles. A lot of classrooms were dirty that day because of that.Hope you get better and that now on the bus comes on time.

Yeah. It sucks when snow days are not declared when they ought to be. In Maine where I live, school is canceled only if other nearby schools canceled and it is not canceled by any objective judgement of how bad the snow is. One day, it was slightly rainy out, but very cold and windy and school was canceled to my disbeleif. Another day we had two feet of snow, but school. I have also at times arrived at school not knowing it was canceled, for a very fortunate surprise!But hey, you win some you lose some, and that's what America is all about.

Haha... it doesn't snow here in the Philippines, but there was a time when classes were cancelled at about 5AM because it was raining hard. The funny thing is, at around 8AM, the rain stopped, and the clouds were clear. In fact, that happens most of the time. Usually, schools here start their classes at around 7AM, so I can understand why they declared it cancelled so early. Anyway, whether it turns out reasonable or not, people rejoice because they can take a break from school. :(

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

Wow, it seems to be so opposite for me!! Sometimes, we get cancelled before it even snows, if the weather predicts that it will be bad. Also, sometimes we get school cancelled for just semi-snowy weather (in other words: the roads haven't even been touched by snow and the ground only has a little). We've only had about 2 snow days this year, though, and the way it seems, we won't have any more.

However, it does seem that school should have been cancelled for you. Especially seeing as you are sick and not in school. I never really knew that there were schools that did that.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. -26 Celsius (-15 Fahrenheit) is pretty typical during the deep winter days here. This year has been pretty warm, warmest on record.The weather here can get pretty crazy in the winter and there are rarely any snow days here. I can't even remember the last time there was one. Even on days where the temperature is less than -40 Celsius (-40 Fahrenheit), strong winds and snow up to your thigh there is still school. A lot of parents just let their kids stay home even though that school is running.If the schools here ran on the same criteria for snow days as other schools then there would be pretty much no school at all in the winter.