xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Need Some Opinions On My Site No content, but good features if registered

I like the layout, it looks pretty good.The image is nice but the blurriness hurts my eyes a little. The blue text boxes are too strong.Some of the buttons don't really match.. Just looks pretty normal and 'average' to me.

I think the design of this is really good. im very impressed. But theres also many things that you can improve. Ill start of with the banner/logo thing. Its a pretty nice picture but the depth of field dosent suit it very well. If pictures have to much stuff that are out of focus than inside of focus. The kinda mosaic effect you added looks really good with it though. Very high tech. If you want to keep the current picture i would suggest that you add some white text on the left side. or black really. but i would suggest you use white and keep it in the green area of the photo. You can like have the name of the site on the left of the focused area and on the right have a slogan or somehting similar. The next thing i would suggest is you to change the top menu a bit to possibly come more into style with the other menus and also try to align it with the width of the rest of the page if you know what i mean. Also the left menu is a bit to high i think in firefox. you might wanna check that out. i dont know if its intentional. But from the graphics i think its really good. well done :(

I think the design of this is really good. im very impressed. But theres also many things that you can improve. Ill start of with the banner/logo thing. Its a pretty nice picture but the depth of field dosent suit it very well. If pictures have to much stuff that are out of focus than inside of focus. The kinda mosaic effect you added looks really good with it though. Very high tech. If you want to keep the current picture i would suggest that you add some white text on the left side. or black really. but i would suggest you use white and keep it in the green area of the photo. You can like have the name of the site on the left of the focused area and on the right have a slogan or somehting similar.
The next thing i would suggest is you to change the top menu a bit to possibly come more into style with the other menus and also try to align it with the width of the rest of the page if you know what i mean. Also the left menu is a bit to high i think in firefox. you might wanna check that out. i dont know if its intentional.

But from the graphics i think its really good. well done :(

Most of the stuff you see is made by the template's developer. All I did was remove a couple of things that were messing up the layout of the page (as it appeared on my screen, which has a 1024 x 1600 resolution). I did not make that 'grass fields' image, nor any of the styling of the menus, etc. But thanks for your compliment anyways! :(

The text "The Bus Stop" in front of the image at the top needs to be in a different style, but first change the picture. What does a field have to do with computers and buses? Otherwise, it's pretty good.

What does a field have to do with computers and buses?

I have absolutely no clue, but I think it looks nice. Green is one of my favorite colors.
If you know of any good 3-column Mambo/Joomla! templates, feel free to suggest them here.

I always recommend people to use mambo content management system or joomla content management system, preferrably the lastest version. So does, the components. I think you should upgrade your Simpleboard forum to mamboboard which will be more stable and more powerful as well, though no much different are there right now. The layout is not bad but the horizontal scroll puts me off... I'm visiting from Firefox browser with 1024x768pixels monitors and I am getting the horizontal scroll bar. I hope you can make the width of the site variable or otherwise fix at below 800x600pixels. Many net users are still using those resolutions.The footer template copyright looks like this site is owned by Tim-online, who is known for his the phpBB component contribution for mambo and joomla powered sites. Why is his email, fax number ana address are all listed in your site, just to let people know that the template creator of your site is all about.. I think link to his site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is enough or you could put only http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ where he is the admin again. And you could disable CB (community builder) workflow module in the right. It looks weird for site visitors to see that portion. That's my take. Thanks for the credits. :(

Major updates: I changed the header image to a homemade one (special thanks to ME :angry: ). I played around with the CSS a little for the pathway link, and also fixed some field width problems in the forum settings profile tab (if you are registered). I added the zOOm Gallery and MamBlog components, these are soley for your entertainment.
I also should mention that I would like more members, so if you have a moment, drop by the site @ http://nyceducated.info/

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

Nice site, but the header/banner does not look that good. The layout and interface is good, but the banner isn't that professional looking.

If you use IE (aka Internet Exploder :angry: ), then you will see a whitespace equal to the height of the header image. I have no clue of how to fix it. I even looked in the CSS for any hints, to no avail. If you have any idea on how to fix it, then please either PM me or post the possible fix here.

Issues like that white space at the top, and sticking polls/posts/popular in the wrong section usually happen because an element is too wide for where it's placed. I can't say for certain, as I only did a cursorary trace of your code, but internet explorer and firefox handle margins and padding differently. Also, IE has an annoying habit of adding a small margin to elements like divs unless you explicitly remove it.

Issues like that white space at the top, and sticking polls/posts/popular in the wrong section usually happen because an element is too wide for where it's placed. I can't say for certain, as I only did a cursorary trace of your code, but internet explorer and firefox handle margins and padding differently. Also, IE has an annoying habit of adding a small margin to elements like divs unless you explicitly remove it.

Based on your analysis, how can I fix this? I'm guessing that I should add a couple of style rules to the CSS file, specifying that there should be no padding on all four sides. Gotta figure out which rules those are; I'll take a trip back to W3Schools.com for that.

well some of things I have notice that you need to correct is that in IE your right column is not where it should be of course whitespace gap as well. But in your firefox your left nav menu is misaligned as well which could be contributing to the alignments issues you are having with the site.another thing I notice is the text size I would either get a different font choice (thats if your using a image for your headers) or change the size to something smaller.other then stuff that I have mentioned and people have mentioned it looks pretty good cms.