xisto Community
DogEater008

Language Pack For Window Xp ?

I have a friend that wants to install a korean language pack on your window xp. She wants everything to be in korean (like a korean version of window xp). I searched on microsoft.com and found the Multilingual User Interface. Which i believe you have to buy them separately. Does anyone know how to upgrade a english version of window xp to a korean version of window xp?.... Is it even possible to do that or do you have to purchase a korean version of window xp.....PS. I'm not looking for language packs that only let you type in different language packs...

For the entire Windows XP operating system to turn into Korean, you might need another version of Korean Windows XP, not the default English one. However, you can also use the english version of Windows XP to input Korean languages.

Here are some sites which you might refer to:
https://www.linguistsoftware.com/winkr.htm
http://www.worldlanguage.com/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17621/internet-explorer-downloads

I'm not sure if this still is the case...But be aware that foreign language oriented operating system, in the past that includes Windows, and the United States machine do not mix well.This is for several reasons but mainly due to encryption and security issues. Did you know that Intel makes two or more different types of CPU with the same speed? One is for United States 128bit encryption and others for less than 128bit for foreign countries. This is so that outside of US cannot hack into US machines. This is simple as preventing from our own machine compromising us. The reason how I know is that I initiated Windows 98SE Korean version in Pentium III and the system crashed immediately and constantly. And the same issue with Japanese laptop (Sony Picturebook) with U.S. Windows 2000. But like I said, this was for the older machine and OS. Today could be different.

hmmm.. well. .i believe mircosoft have the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) like i mentioned above. I kind of skimmed through the description of it.. and i think it's a program or add on to window xp professional to change the language of everything. But it said you have to buy it or something.. Oh well... anyways.. thanks for trying to help =P... and bufflo help.. thanks for the info. i never knew that.. ahaha. By the way.. i thought the encryption chip is located on your motherboard.. not cpu.. i heard that the new vista version of window take an advantage of the chip to make the system more secure.. i forgot where i got that fact from....so i'm not sure if it's true or not. .AHAH

I'm not sure if this still is the case...
But be aware that foreign language oriented operating system, in the past that includes Windows, and the United States machine do not mix well.

This is for several reasons but mainly due to encryption and security issues. Did you know that Intel makes two or more different types of CPU with the same speed? One is for United States 128bit encryption and others for less than 128bit for foreign countries. This is so that outside of US cannot hack into US machines. This is simple as preventing from our own machine compromising us.

The reason how I know is that I initiated Windows 98SE Korean version in Pentium III and the system crashed immediately and constantly. And the same issue with Japanese laptop (Sony Picturebook) with U.S. Windows 2000. But like I said, this was for the older machine and OS. Today could be different.

I was able to install the Japanese version of Windows 2000 (on a second partition of the hard drive) on an American computer who's main OS was the English version of Windows XP. At first this made it so I could ONLY start JP Windows 2000 (EN Win XP showed up on the bootloader but wouldn't boot even when selected). From doing research from another one of my computers (got me a backup just in case my comp experiments go awry :D ), I found that the problem is the bootloader for Win XP was replaced with the Win 2000 one and it wasn't a lanugage problem even just a different generation of Windows problem. You see, Win 2000 bootloader can't load Win XP, but Win XP bootloader can load both of these generations of Windows. So I got the bootloader files off the Win XP disk and, while in Windows Explorer from the the JP Win 2000 installation) I replaced the files for the Win 2000 bootloader with the files for the Win XP bootloader, the rebooted. And guess what. NOW I could select either the EN Win XP or the JP Win 2000 from the boot menu! And BOTH were now able to correctly boot. And I could run software when booted from either OS. It was now a true dual boot system.

And by the way, I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with the fact my hardware was made in the US. Only thing is I couldn't find a sound driver for my computer's on-board sound hardware that would work with the Japanese version of Windows, so I had no sound when running the Japanese version of Windows. But other than that, it all ran perfectly, and I still had sound in my English version of Windows.

In fact only ONE computer I know of has this kind of hardware incompatability being in Japanese. It is the PC-98. Made in Japan it had no compatability with other computers, nor did any other computer have any compatability with it. But this really wasn't a language problem, or a security encryption problem. This was simply because its CPU had its own unique instruction set, so only a program compiled for it would run on it, and would run on no other computer. In fact a special version of Microsoft DOS was made for it, but just being MS DOS did NOT mean any form of being an IBM compatible OS. It wasn't compatible with any other computer, and for the same reason the Macintosh, IBM compatible, Kaypro 2, Kaypro 10, Osborne, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, etc were all mutually incompatible. It had its own unique CPU as did each of the other computers I mentioned.

All modern IBM compatible computers are capable of running any version of Windows, regardless of the primary language/region/country it was built in. The only disadvantage of using a foreign OS is that since it is foreign, you are most likely NOT able to understand the language that text in the interface is written in so using it may be like trial and error (unless you already know the physical location on a given menu of a desired button like the one to open the Windows Control Panel). No hardware compatibility problem exists. I don't know about theoretically IF it should work or not, or about what encryption it uses or whatever. All I know is that from personal experience, it DOES work.

Maybe there are enough language packs in the updates and package 3. And maybe it just helps to install Windows XP again and choose the appropiate language when installing the operating program. On the other hand when used the English version it is probably not a big problem for most people. And the use of an English program helps to learn some English words too.

You cannot converted an english XP into another language OS. The language packs was used to install support for keyboards and language set. Take for example, I am using an english version of windows XP/7 and my hardwares are marked PH (Philippines) and my OS language as English PH. For some reason I went to japan and forgot my keyboard, I can buy a japanese keyboard but it won't work since the operating system don't know how to handle the keyboard keys (sometimes you will get lucky that the keyboard will also support international standard key inputs), this is where the language pack works. Once present, it will detect the keyboard and reassign key buttons to the Japanese keyboard mapping. I am using my laptop to type in Thai language to mail my Thai friends and I unplug the keyboard and use the keypad to write English contents to be sent to other contacts. My laptop can only detect 1 keyboard type and it is always the one plugged in the keyboard outlet and it always overrides the default keypad.@BuffaloHelp way too old postI never know that Intel was doing it that way, we never suffer from reduced bits on the processor maybe because we are producing them here locally, the case was different on AMD chips 6 years ago.