xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
semeticsister

Private School People think theyre so great

Poll  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay so I hate how people who go to private school think they're so much better than people who go to public school! Who cares if you have 10 people per class or your own laptop? Just because you're paying twenty-thousand buck$ to go to some hoity-toity academy shmacademy doesn't mean that you are better than people who can't afford a private school!
People who gloat about their wealth can take their little uniforms and SHOVE IT UP SOMEWHERE THAT I CAN'T SAY OTHERWISE IT WILL GET BLEEPED OR I WILL BE KICKED OFF Xisto FOREVER

i agree that people who gloat about their wealth should find more inportant things to do with their life, but what does that have to do with people going to public or private schools? i was raised going to public school my whole life while one of my sisters went to both. my niece has only experienced private. i think public AND private has something different to offer and if one gloats about being in private, gloat back in being in public school that offers something they don't get. it's true that private schools are more strict in what you wear and how you are taught. private schools usually teach a grade or two above public. to gt in to public school, you either have money that was EARNED or from a grant if you're not white. in public schools, you are taught something more valuable. dealing with a diversity of people and making friends with people who are not just white but come from a variety of races and cultures. something that you wont really get in a private school for the most part. school isn't just about text books and listening to teachers in the classroom, but making friends and establishing relationships with a diversity of people. in private school, you don't get that. most everyone is the same and your not an individual. they limit what you wear so you all look alike. they are all alike in the fact that they all have money to attend the private school. everyone is the same and private schools will promote that. that's what i hate about private schools. i wanted my mother and sister to consider sending my niece to public school for that diversity and so she can easier find herself without being the same as others that her private school likes to promote. she is also having a harder time right now competing with the higher expectations private schools promote.

to me though, private schools aren't wrong and neither are public schools. they offer some things the other doesn't and they can both be looked up to highly in certain areas. you do have some people bragging about their private school and how much money they have, but that isn't EVERYONE going to private school. they didn't choose to go their. their PARENTS chose for them to go there as their parents have final say over a childs life.

now i wouldn't trade my public education for anything. i love people and i loved the diversity. it was hard overcoming the diversity with the blacks and mexicans and the asians for different reasons but it allowed me to become a better person in life for it. something i consider just as important as a quality education from a book.

so again, if you hear people bragging about thier public school like its the best of the best, revert back to the thinking that they are just ignorant because public education gives you things that private schools don't. individuality and diversity. these people whole grew up in private schools their whole life will have a BIG PROBLEM adjusting to the REAL WORLD because the REAL WORLD is PUBLIC and NOT PRIVATE. if your looking for a very strict school that teaches more discipline and higher learning, then private school is the way to go as well and shouldn't be looked down upon.

I don't understand why everyone is saying private schools have no diversity. It's not like everyone can afford to pay the school tuition that goes to my school. My parents can, but I know kids whose parents make as much income as the school tuition costs, hoping that this way they can get their kids a better education. Our school pride's itself in its social, religious, racial, and economical diversites. In terms of public schools being a "good education", I've heard it just depends where you live. I went to public school until 3rd grade, so I do know "both worlds". They have their advantages and disadvanges.

In terms of public schools being a "good education", I've heard it just depends where you live.

Thats the phrase I was looking for someone to point out. But there are somethings about private schools that you know when you go there. I mean people aren't open to outsiders. I mean they think you are from a different country or something. And you know that they know it, when they come to your school and gloat how freaking rich they are and that your school is bad and stuff, and they snicker about what people drive to school and all that crap that no one cares about..... wake up! :(

Well that post was a little to the extreme but it happend....

Yep, I was in a private school in elementary and then in high school went to a public school and I did find a lot of difference. You have to pay more attention to whom you are and who you are establishing your friendship with. and yes private schools do teach a grade or two higher and have a lot more discipline. And that is what I hated the most, I mean when I was supposed to be playing outside I was forced to be in my room and complete my assignments and was suprised how the children could actually talk back at their teachers in public schools and have more freedom and I now know how much I really hate private schools. But it could be only my school that could be like this.And all the private school kids that look down at public schools are only jealous and do not want to show that so they act as if they are better than them.

I really have to say that Sam2698 has had the fairest, or most honest opinion yet. I mean no biased in that.... unlike me and "labeling" private schools. But you have to choose who you are going to be with and stick to that path. Very important, or you will get sucked down the drain.

I don't understand why everyone is saying private schools have no diversity. It's not like everyone can afford to pay the school tuition that goes to my school. My parents can, but I know kids whose parents make as much income as the school tuition costs, hoping that this way they can get their kids a better education. Our school pride's itself in its social, religious, racial, and economical diversites. In terms of public schools being a "good education", I've heard it just depends where you live. I went to public school until 3rd grade, so I do know "both worlds". They have their advantages and disadvanges.

if you've been to public school then you know they offer more diversity and individuality as a human being. i have to disagree 100% that they offer diversity religious wise. they will teach you one and only one religion if it's a religious school. most private schools are religious in nature until you enter college but i am only talking high school level and below. i do agree that any school private OR public depends on where you live and in how good it is. but from my own experience in private schools, they tend to take away a persons individuality. i'm not saying all private schools, but all the ones i've seen and experienced which tends to make me believe that it is definately MOST private schools. also the better private schools i've seen are religion oriented which for the most part is catholic or baptist. they are VERY strict and you have to not only abide by the school rules and uniforms but also abide by the religios rules and laws. most baptist private schools wont even allow you to dance at your own prom because. how ridiculous is that? i'm not baptist so maybe someone who is baptist can expplain to me why it's not ridiculous.

as far as economical diversities....wrong again! most people who aren't white don't have the money so you see these people in the public schools. anyone who isn't white and don't have the money have to apply for a grant....those smart enough to know how to do that. the only race that usually has enough money other than whites are asians so you will find more asians than black and mexicans in private schools. again, this is from my own experience in what i've seen. so again, you are wrong about the racial diversities.

now all schools are social in your free time but private schools give less free time than public. they do have their sports and activities yes, but they also give more homework like someone else just mentioned where you have less free time

a good education is what you get in private schools, but what if a child can't live up to those expectations the school and the parents have for the child? the child will feel a failure and end up with depression and suicidal because he'she doesn't seem to fit in. this area is very tricky and it's up to the parents and teachers to find what is best for the child. most parents and teachers don't work together and rather than treat the child as unique and as an individual, they will force expectations on a child. this is extreme, but it happens every day. look around with open eyes.

before people start bragging about private schools with close minds, they need to open their eyes. our greatest geniouses didn't go to private schools. in fact some of them had learning disabilities.

graduationg from a private school doesn't mean you will succeed in life. neither does graduating from a public one. a couple of my friends graduated from top universities(ucla- public)(usc- private) and still don't know what to do with their lives. one is still working at a job for $10 an hour that has nothing to do with what he studied.

i know exactly how private schools limit you and how public schools limit you. you are also required by law to go to school. school is important because it makes you a more well rounded person but don't get caught up in expectations of parents and teachers. once you turn 18, hopefully you know enough about yourself to know what areas you are interested in. school isn't for everyone. find your niche and DO IT...what makes YOU happy and areas that interest YOU. people may disagree with you and you may struggle to fight for what is right but it's well worth it. if you are less than 18 and have a voice, voice it. if you feel private school is more suitable because of the higher education you recieve and that when you continue your schooling in college, make an effort to voice your opinion NOW and if there is no money, look in to a grant. if your going to private school and it's either too much or not for you, voice it. they both have something to offer in a unique way and just because a school is right for one person doesn't mean it's right for the next kid wether private or public but people who say they have it made just because they go to private school is ridiculous and that was the point of the beginning of the topic

There are many non-religious private schools. We are all required to take religion courses. Here are the religious demographics for our school:

45% Protestant

15% Jewish

13% Islamic

10% Bhuddist

7% Catholic

5% Hindu

5% Other

I do not brag about attending a private school

Race-Wise:

40% White

40% Black/African American

11% South/Central America

5% Asian

4% Other

I don't understand how anwiii can tell me I am "plain wrong" about economic diversity when I attend the school and he does not.

In terms of free time, today is a perfect example. We have Regular Weeks and Alternate Weeks, with Blocks on wed. and thur. Today was an alternate Thursday. My schedule was:

B Block- Health, CPR

Advisory

G Block- History

E Period- French

Assembly

Lunch

D Block- Study Hall

Today was the last day before spring break for us. So, I had no HW to work on. We all went outside and did whatever we wanted. As for at home HW, I usually spend 1 hour-1.h hours on school work.

any other examples you guys want?

I go to a private school. My parents can't afford it- it's my grandparents who pay for it, first of all. We haven't got any laptops at school. All the classes are generally about 10-20+ people depending on how popular the subject is and how high you are in the school... (in year 7 there are more people but by year 12 there are a lot less). I'm not posh or snobby seeing as I live in quite a rough area anyways. I think you should really stop stereotyping.. I know what you mean- some people in my school are snobby and look down on you and live in huuuuuuuuge houses with like 3 cars and 2 computers and every child has a laptop and iPod or whatever but we're not all like that.

Gah... Hey now... that was overreacting a bit. I go to a private school here only because most of the public schools here don't exactly have good stuff like only a few chairs in class, most of which are broken... Overcrowding and stuff... Well, the government hasn't actually improved on the area yet, and my family is well-off so they can afford to send me to a private school here. In fact, what happens here is private school wars. For example, most kids in my school hate the kids from another school cause they're so annoying and love to flash their wealth. We wear uniforms... In fact almost all schools in my country have dresscodes! You'll usually see uniforms wherever you go, be it private or public. The heat happens between private schools because some private schools are most expensive than others, it gives them an excuse to act all stuck-up cause they're in a rich school. Personally, my school doesn't have a rich reputation, however, it excells in its teachings. We get taught advanced math here. In my previous school (also private) we get taught advanced english. Public schools are sometimes too bad to talk about here, so... ~_~ Besides, it doesn't mean that you're in a private school that you're automatically rich. My family's probably considered as middle class. You know, we're not even allowed to bring gadgets to school! We're NOT even ALLOWED to bring cellphones, laptops, games or any other expensive stuff to school. We're not even allowed to wear bracelets, necklaces and big earrings... And I'm in a PRIVATE school! So I guess this can clear the stereotype a bit.Out of topic:I'm in an all-girls school and I hate it mainly because some girls here get crushes on other girls... Plus, we're affiliated to this all-boys school. Why can't we just merge? It's so annoying... The funny thing is, I got sent here cause my dad thought there were boys in highschool. As it turned out, boys were only allowed til Grade 4... Fancy that. I guess they're being paranoid about relationships. It could get really annoying, though. Having a male friend would be really neat, cause girls love to talk about you behind your back.

IceMarale <--- Has a very good point, sometimes its not really your choice and stuff. And both schools have different things in common. My Public High school is considered rich, because we get Dell 600m Latops of free, to use during the school year and stuff, and then we turn them in at the end of the year. So that sets us way off, and our county way off from other schools in VA. Were like the only school in the US that does that; lends students laptops and puts security features and tons of blocks on them. :P. But what annoyes my sometimes, is when grandparents pay for there grandchildrens education(s) and stuff. I mean my grandparents give me gifits on birthdays and holidays, but they don't pay when I went to a Catholic school, a while back. My parents did and stuff, b/c they wanted me to go, and then I switched to pubilc, in 7th because they asked me if I wanted to go, or stay in private school till 8th grade. I said lets go public and my brother went with too. It mainly depends on where your from, your background, and some other factors about the area. Like innercity-school in Richmond, you NEED to go to private school if you can, or you need a security team and a gun to walk in if your new and protect your self. (:D). They have police patrol the schools, and medal dectors when you walk in, to protect the teachers, and other students. THATS JUST PLAIN SAD :) its a freaking school. Come on!

Wow! Well now I know what dramatic people think! Well In fact I am going to a boarding school next year that is 36,000$ a year, but we're not doing it just to pay for it, I volunteered to go to this school because I want a way better education then the one I would get here in Missouri, so I'm going to a prestigious school in Massachussetts. And I'll be d@mned if im gonna wear a uniform.

I go to a public school and thank god for that. I will never be able to wear an uniform and follow strict codes of conduct. And why are private schools better then public schools anyway? Do they give you a better chance of getting into a top college or something? Some of my friends my middle school went to some catholic high school because they're parents forced them too and let me tell you, they are soooo depressed since they had to make new friends and lose some of their old friends. They all want to come back and some of them actually did worst and their grades dropped in Private school. They hate it so much, so I can't imagin going anyway but public school.

i used to go to a private school. most of the people that went there were loaded with money. Some of them were really arrogant and stuck up. but i made really good friends too. if i didnt go to that private school , then i would have ended up in a really rubbish public school thats just next to my house. ..

Ive been to both schools and say at a private school they are focused on every student and that sport is a big issue, also If you want to try some thing they have more funds to achive it. Government schools dont force you as much and give you more freedom, not much sport action. But its up to the student and parents in both cases to get a good education.

Kinda an old topic but defidentally sparked anger in me. The sterotype that private school kids are rich spoiled snobs is so far from the truth. One of my close friends (a girl) had a soda thrown at her from a car when she was walking back from her bus stop by some punks from the local public school. Your all kidding yourself if you think all private schools are filled with rich/upper class kids. At my school I have people from camden, newark, and linden. Camden was up on the most dangerous city list fighting for first place. Trust me, they arnt rich.Private school kids arnt all preppy. Sure, theres some, but they make up for like 8% of the school, just like public school. The only difference is religion is allowed to be openly practiced. Public schools in my area are far better then the private schools, but there also filled with drugs and violence. Private schools are more strict and can actually throw someone out.Im so tierd of hearing about pubbers badmouthing private school kids. You dont even know them, and you try to punish them all for a minority of jocks. Come to a public school here, im sure youll be singing a differnt tune after you transfer to my high school...