xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

What Is: Os What is Operating System?

Well it i s kind of obvious, but i have gotten many questions from people on here before asking me what some people ment by OS..and so i explained it to them, and i thought i might be able to explain it to other people on here

OS aka Operating System

OS is short for Operating System.

An Operating System is the system in which a computer operates on. Basicly it manages all of the other processes/programs that you put on the computer..

As defines by google it is:

The software that the rest of the software depends on to make the computer functional. On most PCs this is Windows or the Macintosh OS. Unix and Linux are other operating systems often found in scientific and technical environments.

A few examples of Operating Systems are

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows Me

Windows XP

Windows Home Edition

Windows Professional

all of those are made by Windows but there are also other ones like

Linux

Tiger

Panther

You see, without operating systems, our computers today will not run as smoothly as they do..we would have to manage EVERY process, and every program that we run...

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Review the What Is...? section description. Moving to Operating Systems.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

You see, without operating systems, our computers today will not run as smoothly as they do..we would have to manage EVERY process, and every program that we run...

...And considering that most computer users wouldn't understand anything about how a Computer works or how to program them or how an OS works, that would be an absolute nightmare.

Great tutorial, Albus Dumbledore!

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

yes, then there would be practicly No One online or on the computer for that matter :lol:Thanx! Only took me a few minutes ot get a quick 4-5 credits :-D

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

thnx, i changed it to the two examples you gave me..i dont ever use mac never will either so i dont really know what they call them

Wikipedia definition is:

An operating system is a special computer program that manages the relationship between application software, the wide variety of hardware that makes up a computer system, and the user of the system.

The OS so far released by the Microsoft are,

-- Windows CE(Mobile)

-- MS DOS

-- Windows 1.0

-- Windows 2.0

-- Windows 3.0

-- Windows 3.1

-- Windows NT

-- Windows 95

-- Windows NT 4.0

-- Windows 98

-- Windows 2000

-- Windows Me

-- Windows XP

-- Windows XP Media Center Edition

-- Windows 2003

-- Windows Vista

OS

The Operating System(OS) acts as the middleman between applications and hardware, with the help of of which programmers don't need to know the internals and complexity of the hardware they write codes for. Their programs just need to talk to the OS, which in turn talks to the hardware. To acheive this, the OS provides the programmers with an Application Program Interface(API), which lets them write programs that can communicate with the OS.

yup, those are also examples of operating systems made by microsoft and like i said up there "A few examples of Operating Systems are:" but what delivi gave you was pretty much a full list of all of the operating systems that microsoft has released...and also a longer summary of

that...thanx delivi

And if you know whats good for your computer, and security of your data you'll use something other then Windows, or Make sure you fully up-to date with all windows patches, updates, service packs, have firewall and Anti-Virus.Otherwise, expect spyware, adware, possible hacking, pop ups and just a total system melting down in a matter of days connecting to internet.

depends on what you do, i used to be erm...bullet number 12 of the Xisto.com Board Rules & Guidelines., lol and much worse than what...but then and only then is when i had my probelm with any viriuses and hacking of my computer..lol because i had to download allot of stuff to do my work and some of it was not officaly "virius-free" but i did and got a few viriuses..but windows its stilla good operating system...

The OS so far released by the Microsoft are,

-- Windows CE(Mobile)

-- MS DOS

-- Windows 1.0

-- Windows 2.0

-- Windows 3.0

-- Windows 3.1

-- Windows NT

-- Windows 95

-- Windows NT 4.0

-- Windows 98

-- Windows 2000

-- Windows Me

-- Windows XP

-- Windows XP Media Center Edition

-- Windows 2003

-- Windows Vista

OS

The Operating System(OS) acts as the middleman between applications and hardware, with the help of of which programmers don't need to know the internals and complexity of the hardware they write codes for. Their programs just need to talk to the OS, which in turn talks to the hardware. To acheive this, the OS provides the programmers with an Application Program Interface(API), which lets them write programs that can communicate with the OS.

thanx alot bro never knew that!!

I would say, That An Operating System is a bridge between The Hardware and ( Users & Applications ). It basically provides the framework that let other things to use a computer hardware to perform desired tasks.HARDWARE |OPERATING SYSTEM | +---------- USERS |ApplicationsIt's on the Operating System to manage everything regarding Hardware, User Permissions & lot of other stuff.Moreover a good OS is that which is fast, secure, reliable, Robust etc.

friends, i will tell you what is OS in a simpler form.An operating system is one which acts as an interface between the user and the computer and it is the soul of the computer, we can call the operating system as a larger program too. what happens when you switch on the computer is that the operating system gets loaded into the main memory that is what is known as the booting of the computer.

And if you know whats good for your computer, and security of your data you'll use something other then Windows, or Make sure you fully up-to date with all windows patches, updates, service packs, have firewall and Anti-Virus.
Otherwise, expect spyware, adware, possible hacking, pop ups and just a total system melting down in a matter of days connecting to internet.

Keep your system with an Antivirus with latest virus definitions update , I prefer use Nod32..which is more reliable and faster than any other AV solutions in the market, i think !

If u have no internet connection to update your windows , download Auto-Patcher and install.It allow to user to update many system with one downloaded Auto Patcher utility