xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eddyys

Skype Mobile Phones Released!

I have found this article by MSNBC very very interesting. I have just realised that one day all mobile phone calls will go over the internet instead of having to use precious satellite space for phone service. But i have found only one disadvantage to this concept, HACKERS.

Well, i cant post this article for reasons of copyright,

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

So here is a link to the article.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10712110/

Or click here.

copyright is out of date >_< its 2006 now lmao, but that is pretty cool though that tey can do that, im sure its gunna cost the consumers a pretty penny

Wi-Fi phone for Skpye is already out for quite some time already. It's really working like a real phone, just that it connects to the wireless router and uses the internet to transmit voice data.The so-called mobile skype phone is basically a typical notebook, or a PDA-phone, installed with only Skype software and some network applications that connects to your wireless router like how you connect your notebook wirelessly. Skype on that mobile phone will make use of it's own protocols and ports in transmitting data. Hence if you turn off your wireless router, basically your mobile skype phone will turn into a dummy device. It will be good for use in those free usage of Wi-Fi in some area, because you will talk for free. However, you can only talk to those connected to Skype, not those in the PSTN network, or simply to say, your home number or your friend's mobile phone, unless you purchased Skype-Out. Check out their Skype's website for more of its information.

they have had this before, you can use skype on cell phones, but I think you need to have a data plan and a windows mobile phone [insert loud painfull scream here]

The real problem is more of "will free viop be compatable, like skype or google talk? Will I have to have an endless data stream to the cell phone tower for skype and my mobile phone? It's going to cost more, I can tell you that. Anyone can intercept a phone conversation with the right tools, so there is really no diff. I am exited to see what happens, and if skype is supported. (just because it's going through the internet dosn't mean that we will have skype on our phone)

no since in buying a sykpe phone, when u can get a windows mobile 5.0 device and install skype. works great with EV-DO and EDGE services, plus most WM5 phones have wi-fi built in, in case ur not in one of those coverage areas.

Edited by Wideawake (see edit history)