xisto Community
Zythrix

Computers Hate Me Almost As Much As I Hate Them Why do they always have to mess with me?

So, I'm sitting on my computer about a half hour ago when it decides to randomly shut off. So, being as hot as it was in my computer room, I figured it just got too warm and shut itself off. Then I start to smell burnt silicon. Anybody who has ever owned a computer and knows what that smell is, dreads it. So I go into my roommate's room and he says to just let it sit and ventilate the room. So I opened a window and took the side of the case off and left the room for 45 mins to go clean the garage. By the time I came back everything inside the case was cool (enough) to the touch. So I hit the power button.. nothing. Checked the surge protector, still on. So I start questioning my hardware. My guess is that I blew out my power supply.I have a 300 watt power supply. Connected to that power supply I have a P4 motherboard, 2 HDs, 1 DVD burner, 4 fans, a cold cathode bar-light and some extra USB ports I mounted to the front a couple days ago. It seems to me that that's entirely too much for the power supply, especially considering the P4 boards take more power (2 power plugs to the motherboard instead of just 1). So, the scenario of a burnt up power supply is entirely feasable.I do hope it's only the power supply. Though I don't have the money to replace even that, I'd still much rather replace the power supply than something more expensive. If anyone has any other ideas as to what it might be, I'm open for anything. Also, if you know a good place to find good power supplies for cheap I'm also interested.Hehe I'll take donations of money or power supplies too!! =P

It actually just might be the power supply, it's happened to myself before. You may have too much connected to the power supply, if you take the power supply out of the case and unplug it, see if there is anything leaking or abnormal about the components.Also, may I recommend getting a power supply of at least 350W because all the components hooked up to your computer are draining the power, even throught the USB.

Thank you. I'll pull it out later and take a peek at it (too much hassle right now.. you should see the wiring job inside the case heh). If it is just the power supply, I'm going to make sure and get a good one this time. No more messin around =/ .. What's decent these days.. 450-500watt ? Also, what brand power supply would you recommend? I've heard Sparkle, Antec and Thermaltake.Once again, thanks!

The Brand of power supply never really matters, but the top of the lione power supplies are Sparkle and Antec (never used Thermaltake myself). The higher the wattage in teh power supply the better, so 450W should be good. Also, try and clean up your cables inside of your case with some zip ties, for all you know that may have been your problem and blew the power supply.

Ok, thanks again! I have most of the power cables wrapped in this plastic sheathing stuff.. and the round-wrapped IDE cables.. but it could definitely use some organizing. I'll probably go with Antec.. though I have to wonder if Sparkle is better considering when I bought my Antec case 5 yrs ago it had a Sparkle power supply in it. I'd imagine Antec would use their own... unless Sparkle is an off-shoot of Antec. Either way.. I'll look into it. Thanks for your help!

Also, it might help to get rid of the cathodes. It's a usless addition to the computer that requires power, which I'm sure they get pretty darn hot in there.I suggest a new power supply, and a new surge protector. If you can get a UPS. It'll come in quite handy (Uninteruptable Power Supply).

Ya.. I plan to get a UPS. I want to keep the cold cathode light.. gives a nice blue glow that serves as my night light in my 'bat cave'. Looks like I'm out of commission for a little bit but I will still come on here when I can get on a diff computer.(note: my 'bat cave' is a large walk-in closet in which I put my computer desk)

Edited by Zythrix (see edit history)

Broken PC - Day Two::Well, I thought I'd be ok without my computer, but I miss it! LoLI've been walking around my townhouse trying to find something to do. First I stop at the television.. flip through all the channels.. and walk away unsatisfied. Then I picked up a book and started to read that.. but it just didn't have a mouse attached to it. So I started cleaning the house.. that was obviously no more fun than watching paint dry so I tried to find something else to do.About an hour of going crazy with boredom later my friend wakes up. So I immediately ask him to use his laptop (which I've been on for the last 3 hours now). But now that I'm on it.. I'm STILL bored. It doesn't have all the software or games that I had on my PC. I'm stuck using java IM and IRC clients. I think using this laptop may have been worse than not using a computer at all lol. It's just teasing me.Anyway, the search for a powersupply continues. I can probably buy one this weekend but I dont want to wait that long heh.OH CRUEL WORLD BRING MY COMPUTER BACK TO ME! heh... I swear I'm not addicted =P

I think using this laptop may have been worse than not using a computer at all lol. It's just teasing me.

Heh heh... I remember that feeling from when my computer blew up.. on the day before summer break started. I found myself heading down to the college library during break, purely to use their computers.Lucky for me, Newegg is cheap and ships fast XD

Good luck with your power supply, hehe..

i didnt read all the replys, so someone might have already said this...check your AC outlet, and make sure your getting good power soming through...or your surge protector...also, check the cabling for your power switch...they might be loose and have caused a short...or, pop in a new PSU...300W is cuttin it pretty close for what you stated there...

Edited by XxUNDEROATHxX (see edit history)

I've narrowed to the power supply long ago.. the issue is now buying one =)That'll have to wait a couple more days but I'm getting at least a 450w.I checked everything else.. only thing I havent been able to do is put a new power supply on it to make sure nothing else is messed.What are the odds of shorting a board when you pop a PSU?

It's fairly slim, because if the power supply pops the electricity just stops moving therefore the motherboard will not be affected, anyways, you were having problems with too little power not too much, the motherboard should be fine, i'm not 100% definite but about 95% definite.

too much stuff pluges into one area? pssh lol..i kno its unsafe..but allow me to list my rooms power; lets see i have a 6 plug surge protector pluged to the wall and pluged into that i have another surge protector, my screen, my computer, my speakers, and cell phone charger..on the other one i have attached to it i have, my TV, dvd/vhs player, and my ps2..also my stereo..not radio but stereo..3 big speakers that is spread all over room *like surround sound* i also have an alarm clock, a fan, and along with the printer (combined in one) is a scanner, copier etc... so im a bit stocked up on mine..my tooth bruch charger and light is on the other side of room, im in trouble one of these days...but nothing has ever happened to my stuff strange it happened to yours >_< :lol:

It wasn't a matter of having too many things plugged into my wall outlets.. I have far more than all of that. Rather it was a matter of too many things being plugged into the power supply inside my computer. It was an old power supply when I got it and it just wasn't big enough.