xisto Community
Kubi

Problem With Cd/dvd Drives Wont read CDs

I've had problems with my CD and DVD drive for a while now.First off, my DVD drive is +/- RW, and it used to read CD's, after a while it stopped working. When I had my power surge I mentioned that it didn't work. They replaced it. So it worked for about a day, then stopped again. Well if I know anything, that's not supposed to happen.Now AFTER I had my computer fixed, my CD Drive stopped working aswell. I just replaced my CD drive myself today. Still doesn't work.I don't want to take my computer back into Best Buys because then I won't have it for another few weeks, and they'll probably just replace it...Is there any software that I could have installed that make them not work anymore? Because both drives are new and working. I heard from the "GeekSquad' that this could be the case, but I wouldn't know of any software that'd do that...Any help to get my CD Drives working would be appretiatied, thanks.

I've never had an experience like that at all, but I was wondering what brand of drive you're using and what the power supply is inside your computer. The power supply is most often the problem.I've had best experience with LG Drives and Power Supplies of at least 350W

A thin g yo could try to see if it's the drive/voltage itself is to get your self an live cd version of a peace of software that runs directly @ boot from the cd or dvd player. For instance a linux \-live cd from ubunto or your windows cd and work abit with it. If the drive locks again you will be sure it has nothing to do with the software. A few possebilities are that your voltage is to low (look in your bios for that) in that case you could try to get a new power supplier, but it also could be a problem in the ide cable you have, these can be replaced for just a few bucks. But if its olmost a brand new computer I would return it to the shop, since this cant happen

My voltage could be to low, that's a strong possibilty. Because my CD Drive worked find before I got a new power supply and motherboard when I had the power surge.Haslip told me to do something, I didn't quite understand it, maybe he'll explain it further?

Another possibility is that the motherboard itself is not working properly.Did you replace it after the powers surge, it may have been affected.

Can't decifer that but I think it means press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the taskmanager then run something that ejects the CD or something like that...O well

Well I can just press the button and the CD ejects. The CD Drive just doesn't work. I can hear it spin for a few seconds then it stops

Does the Windows device manager sees your drive in hardware list? If so check the property and see if it's working correctly. Also, open your My Computer and see if the CDROM drive icon is there. If so, right click and select eject.When all these function without a problem, I think there's something wrong with the IDE cable (try using a new one if you haven't) or the motherboard itself. You said it had a power surge?All CDROM drives do not require any special drivers or settings since Windows will recognize them automatically. The only special with IDE ROM drive is your DVD drive where it requires DVD decoding software to read any DVD disk. Otherwise your DVD drive will read any CD right after the installation.

Ya the Computer had a power surge. So I took it in and had the motherboard and power supply changed. Before then the CD Drive worked fine, now it doesn't..My Secondary IDE Channel is Disabled, could this result in an issue? Because my Drives are said to be "Funtionaling normaly"..

I'm not any pro, but I would say that you should put the drive on a separate IDE cable from the other drives if possible. This will prevent other drives from disturbing it directly.

One problem: I don't have any other IDE cables.Could I be able to just completely disconnect my DVD drive, since it doesn't work anyways?

Yes you can do that. If you DVD-ROM is set as a Slave drive make sure the CD Drive is set as Slave, or if the DVD-ROM is set as Master make usre the CD Drive is set as Master when it's plugged in.

I don't know how to make it the slave drive. How bout I just unplug the DVD Drive, since I have 1 cable branching into parts, one goes into my DVD and one into my CD Drive

Just plug your cabel into dvd rom,try master and slave.If your bios can't find any dvd-roms your dvd-rom doesnt working and there is no problem with drivers...Just take your computer back to Best Buys and they had to fix it :lol: