xisto Community
CroSpartacus

How Do I Encode A Video File Into Divx?

I honestly think DIVX is out dated. When in the days of pre MP3 and MPEG-3 & 4, the DIVX encoding was the greatest way to truncate large, high quality video into manageable file size (mainly to fit into one single CD). After the introduction to MPEG-4 and WMA/V's sophisticated encoding methods, I think Windows Media Encoder 9 is the best. Not only it can encode as fast as DIVX and in similar most optimized files size, but Windows Media Encoder also has easier method to have your sound in true 5.1 surround. With DIVX you have to record the sound in 5.1 separately and re-synchronize it. This sometimes leads to sound not matching the movie.And the best of all, Windows Media Encoder is free and you don't have to use proprietary program to use it.

actually, I find realmedia's RM and RMVB is the best. a 700mb divx movie can be reduced to 350mb without any noticable reduction in quality. it is great. downloading is much easier when it is half the size. I can get a whole movie in 20mins rather than 40mins.Back on topic though, There are a bunch of programs that will convert to DivX. Just google it. A basic converter that is good for beginners is WinAVI. You can use it to rip a DVD to DivX or convert many other formats to divx

Well, you can use AutoGK (autogk.net)Personally, I prefer to use XviD encoding. I'm more an open source person, but I think its much better.Windows media=meh if you're going for cross platform compatability (mac/*nix)That's the main reason I use XviD encoded AVI's for the site I run.It may be worth looking in to...Xvid.org

yea xvid has really nice qulaity. It an average size file but the quality is really amazing. I would using a converting program which you can search on google and encode to that if your dvd player or whatever your using it for supports those files.

best software for converting Movie files to Divx format is VirtualDub. It gives you lost of options in your convertion process. I should say that it only supports avi files but there are some other version supporting mpeg2 files. i myself have used it for along time for my convertion projects. for doing the convertion you must also have DIVX Codec on your OS. there alot of sites you can find guides for converting video formats:
http://www.videohelp.com/
http://www.doom9.com/