xisto Community
dontmaimyourself

Google To Take On Geocities Google Page Creator

Nice Google finnaly introduces another great product, altho there aren't any signups left for me... :P I see a lot of bugs have been found, but yeah beta is beta ofcourse :) It's a great move from Google in my opinion, but I don't see Google beating Xisto any time soonDoes anyone here have real experience with Google pages?

I just got an email from Google saying that I could now start using Google Page, my account has finally been enabled. I have not tried doing a page yet, but as what I have read in the introduction they have Autosave feature just like Gmail ( which I find good, because I have a dial-up connection and most of the time I have problems saving things and stuff). And this is a What You See Is What You Get program so non-web designers could design their own websites without having much backround and knowledge regarding website designing. I hope they could fix everything up before they release this on public, Florisjuh has said that there are some ugs and I hope he had sent a message to Goggle regarding this thing so they could enhance Goggle page better.

your website url will be http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

well, even I got an email from Google and they've enabled my account too!
It seems to me that it is good...even I've not got into it completely.
I created the trial page and the good thing is that they dont put any ADS! unlike Yahoo Geocities.
But they dont allow people to use domain names too! :P
I think it will be handy for people who are just looking for hosting which doesnt need much services..like PHP, mysql...You know basic hosting :)

https://sites.google.com/site/mayankguptacom/
Here's the URL...for people to have a look at!

Only a measly space of 100MB? *cough* Darn... Strange though... They provide a huge amount of space for email, which rarely ends up needing it. Then, they provide a measly 100MB for webhosting. Webhosting needs more than that 100MB. :)

Of course, even Google can't afford to give everybody 2 GB of hosted webspace... the only reason why Gmail works is because 90% of poeple use less than 5% of the space. if they'd offer the same amount of space for their hosting package poeple would actuallly use it, maybe not all but certainly a whole lot more than 5%. Also keep in mind that a webpage creates a whole lot more bandwidth useage than if one just checks his mail.

Wow, that's interesting! Google and Yahoo! really ARE enemies! :P I love both of their services.Yahoo!, I use them for e-mail, news, and geocities (for some web design tests)Google...I just that for search engine only.I think I'll still use the Yahoo! free web hosting, though.Right now, I'm trying to earn more credits so I can get a long-term hosting from Xisto. :) (which is obviously the best free web hosting).

I wanna try it. I?ve entered the list so I hope to try it in a fe days/weeks/months... Of course it?s nothing compared to what we have here in Xisto. Only 100 mbs and no PHP, mySQL, etc. But it?s in a beta phase, I?m sure that the space will rise as it happened with Gmail. Anyway if it offers pre-made templates and stylesheets and it looks cool enough, it?ll be a great chance for people who doesn?t know anything about web design... and that?s a wide target.It seems that Google is involved in so many projects at the same time that you never know what will be the next movement.

However I don't like how google puts everything in "Invite only" closed beta mode. First comes Gmail, then comes "Orkut" after comes "Google Analytics" then now a geocities type webhoster.At least all these services are free! :)

Definitely stick to Xisto. Google pages for one do not support php and mysql so why would you switch? The whole reason i use Xisto is because of the php and mysql allowances which are amazing. No other webhost has these options. I guess google pages will be good for those who dont know html or how to program but for advanced users it is useless. Don't switch unless you suck at html and cant make your own pages.

i'm still waiting for my google analytics. lol.anyways the Google page creator thingy that's sort of like a copy of Pagebuilder from Geocities is cool. The only thing i don't like is it won't let me start a page from scratch and i don't want to use templates just plain html and some css. Other than that I like the autosave function. The preview pops on the page rather a new one which is handy.

I?ve already tried googlepages and I think it?s a good service although very limited. Definitely it?s not what most people here would need, because it?s very simple and in Xisto a lot of people is interested in php. But You can use decent templates to make a basic website in ac opuple of minutes so I think it?s going to be another success for google, because everybody want to have a website and there are lots of people that don?t know anything about html or even how does an FTP program works.

Hey one question.Is Google Pages a free webhosting service provided by Google or it's just a simple web-based HTML editor that will not be saved in Google server? The way you guys decribed seemed like it's a free webhosting service. If that's the case, I think all webhosting companies are in trouble including Xisto. Definately Google will make that service free of charge.

I think you understood this right, it is a webhosting service, not just an online editor (although I'm sure that would be fun as well...).

However, I am not sure I see this putting other hosting companies into trouble, especially those companies that operate along the lines of giving you advanced web tech functionality, with support for php, java, and so on. I do get the feeling that Y!'s corresponding free service, Geocities, might have to gear up to the new competition.

FWIW, I also got the waiting list form when I eagerly clicked the 'pages.google.com' link... too bad! Would've loved to try this out...

here is my review of googlepages which i had posted on my blog

So finally when google didnt send me an invite after 3 days of registering, i was fed up. turns out they tell you that they will invite you, but thats just a lie because i didnt get invited, but was able to register.Page Creator gives a yournamehere.googlepages.com URL.It gives a space of 100MB.
When you first login, you see google is obcessed with AJAX, a good thing i think, because it ensures that while the initial load time may be large but subsequently the loading time decreases.Like Gmail, it takes a while to load but once loaded its fast as hell.
That done, then i started to make my homepage, this service is a lot like blogger, with templates to choose from, so i started to make my homepage with a particular template. It was going good, i made about 5-6 pages. After that i decided to change my template, here came the 1st shocker, there is no option to change all the pages's template at one go(correct me if i am wrong). Then the 2nd shocker, i wanted to add a counter, but it seems google has done a lot to ensure people cant use javascript, when i added the counter to my side bar, in the preview only the counter was visible and the rest of the page had gone blank.
as far as i am concerned, this is just a new toy from google, The GUI Editor is good no doubt,aimed at those who would love to have their homepage but have little basic knowledge of even HTML and would be happy with flashy-flashy colours. Someone may ask me why then am i using it, well the point is the only thing great about it is its 100 MB of storage, and best of all its free.You can see the page i made at https://sites.google.com/site/ankitsud/, although its still largely under construction.

Google i think is making these services so as to have a large database of indexed material. Services like google base confirm that.

The reliability of these is questionable nonetheless. I hosted my CSS and blog image files on it but to my dismay i found out that the site is down most of the time due to some error or the other. Geocities is good enough for me.

Dear AdminI was unsure whether to put this in Reviews or Here

Notice from mayank:
Ankit You have to add quote tag to each and everything..which is copied.

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

Yah i have been using it for awhile, but in a 1024 x 768 screen resolution it dosnt fit everything and you can't scroll down. It's also way hard to to make a bunch of thumbnails. They get all messed up and somtimes freeze. I would use it if they could somehow add FTP access. Because then i could use Dreamweaver 8 and it might be worth it.On the other hand i give it a plus for No Ads and also they have decent templates. And it seems that you can upload any file. Becuase i'm getting a PSP site running and they allowed me to upload a .EBOOT file. At Bravehost.com the wouldnt let me upload that or even .mp3's.So i'll give it a 7 out of 10 (I gave it points because it's in BETA stages.)What would you guys give it?