xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gameratheart

Editing A File Will Not Change It! A page will not change no matter how much I edit it

Because of a lot of problems I have expirienced on my site, I have had to redo a lot of it recently. But now I have a big problem: Some of the pages work fine in CPanel, but when accessing the pages normally, none of the new changes are appearing! I have edited the same page five times, and each time CPanel saves it normally, and if I edit it again the changes are there. But, whenever I visit the page, none of the changes appear!I have examined if the problem is anything to do with scripting on the pages (I use complex javascript on one of the affected pages), but most of the changes are not in the script! I have no idea what is going on, this has never happened to me before! Can someone inspect this please?If you need information to perform a check, I will happily provide through PM. Just state the need.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Try using an FTP client first off, it's more reliable. Google for SmartFTP. Also, MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR YOUR CACHE! This happens to me many many times, just clear your cache and refresh the page. If that fails to work, it may take about 5-10 minutes for the info to update, if not instantly, it depends on the server speed.CLEAR YOUR CACHE FIRST!

Don't bother googling it just go to smartftp.com You can get an unlicensed one for free. It says it is a trial but it is not. As for changes ya SmartFTP works great. You edit the file, save it to your computer, and then upload it. I like it a lot but I would try clearing cache first but I haven't had any problems.

I have just tried using FTP. FTP could find no problems with the page, so I tried downloading the page and re-uploading it. After refreshing the page, it works fine.But I have not had a problem with using CPanel editor before, so why did it stop working?

Sometimes the ISP keeps a cache of frequently requested files at the server. It might have been there.
If you are having trouble like this again, on the next batch of edits you do, insert a "Expired" Meta tag that shows an expiry date of sometime in the past, so they don't get stored along the way.
I'll post an example Meta Tag here as soon as I find the exact one.
( ... thought I had one handy, but ... )

Here ya go...

<META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:21:57 GMT">