xisto Community
michaelper22

Things To Appear On Every Page Credit Count, Search BOX (not link)

I've asked about this before, and I feel that I got a subpar response for the first item. So can we have a credit counter on every page? With the amount of queries IPB is making to the DB anyways, it shouldn't really hurt. Also, having a search box on all pages is really a timesaver, and also a bandwidth saver. I find that the search page loads slowly, so it would be an excellent consideration.I still love Xisto, even if it doesn't have these features.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

You could just have a couple of extra tabs open in your browser. One to the front page for credits, just refresh the page to check. And one open to the search box. It's simple using the Firefox browser if you want to do that.

Another option is to have the total credits displayed on a page based on the number of credits listed when your session first started and have this number updated each time you view the Index page of the forum. It already does the db look-up on the Index page, so there wouldn't be any additional searches when you go to a forum topic or posting page. Just carry the number around as session-data until the next time you view the Index page??? Have it display on the page without updating.

i would like the search box to appear on every page but not the credit counter for the simple reason that the credit counter takes some time to load and so i think that people like me with dial up connections are better off without the counter on each pageyes, the search feature could certainly help a lot, it will certainly reduce time taken by the users to find answers to their questions

So can we have a credit counter on every page?

Xisto is a busy board and displaying credits on every page means increasing the query count by one for all pages. Just to keep things resource friendly, credits are displayed only on main page.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/33316-show-credits-on-all-pages-not-just-the-home-page/

The answer was no last time so I'm guessing 12 days later it's still the same :huh: With the many 1000s of page loads Xisto gets every day, it's not worth it.

In lieu of having a quick search button on each page, you could use the search plugin for firefox for Xisto that m^e created.