xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Unregistered 015

Do You Use (or Plan To) Asp.net? Or some other .NET based evniroment?

I'm interested how many of you use .NET framework, how do you like it, what are it's pros and cons, and anything that comes accross your mind related to it?
I'm using PHP/MySQL combination for now, but I'm considering move to ASP.NET. I've never even used ASP, so what do you recommend? ASP.NET or NOT ASP.NET? Or maybe to start with ASP?

Well it is difficult to be answered as it depends. Personally I like php with mysql. It may be possible that in a future time I might be using ASP.net for some or the other reason but right now its only php. Thats it. 

Hi! I'm working as a .NET developer, so I couldn't stay away from this discussion :P

Does anyone who uses ASP know what makes it better than PHP then? I'm just thinking if there's a free format that works just as good as the paid, why would anyone want to use the paid?
Unless it's speed-related or something.

First of all, it's not necessarily paid, the .NET option. You can get the Express edition of Web Developer, which is free, and is as good as the paid one. Just that you can't sell what you create with it, but it's ok for learning or designing your site.

Secondly. What makes .NET better. It's definetely the increase speed with which you can develop your web application. There are a lot of web-controls that make things easier for you.
For example, user input validation is just adding a control, with no code added (and you can validate for correct Date format, or correct e-mail format, with no extra code at all).
Or, if you want to implement something like the management of users (list / edit / insert / delete, with sorting by columns and paging), it's very easy to do with data-bound controls, such as GridView, ListView or Repeater.

ASP.net is really great when the site you are making is a bit more complicated and it's not a forum or blog platform (where already made PHP solutions exist, and you just have to customize them). And it is quite easy to use in the beginning. However, to truly see the benefits of the language, you need some time with learning it. It's quite vast.

- It's a Microsoft product, which by definition is great.
Notice the sarcasm in the last sentence.

Actually, I think it's quite beneficial for .NET that it is a Microsoft product. Skipping the prejudice, Microsoft invested a lot in the language, and you can feel that. The IDE is really great, there are a lot of support forums, and the languages (C#, ASP.net) are very well designed to make your code writing efficient and most of all pleasant.

Does anyone who uses ASP know what makes it better than PHP then? I'm just thinking if there's a free format that works just as good as the paid, why would anyone want to use the paid?
Unless it's speed-related or something.

i'm using jsp and asp.net now. And i get Microsoft Certificate for ASP.NET MS SQL Server (called MCAD)

what i know is asp.net has IDE (visual studio.net) support so it easy to build program or web appication.
u can use drag and drop in IDE, and DIE also provide many option like build console application, windows applicatian, web services and so on. So, its easier to develop personal website or small program.

unlike PHP does not have IDE, so if develop big and complex appication, it may take much time to finish
because many thing that we have do manually. but the advantage of using PHP is u can get many informations, tutorials and example through intenet. That why nowday mamy peoples still use PHP.

And i know that many big companys use ASP.net. its would be benefit of using ASP.Net so big company use it.

Now, i trying to learn more about ASP.NET.

I don't use ASP.NET for a reason - it is expensive. I know the basics of it and I know that "big" corporations don't "love" ASP, in fact I have seen many websites that are very popular using PHP. Think about myspace.com, yahoo.com, wikipedia.org, flickr.com, digg.com and sourceforge.net, ALL of them use PHP. I like PHP as a language better and I do know basic ASP I just do not find it useful. It is also semi impossible to find cheap ASP hosting , I don't know of any good sites. So for now PHP and mySQL suit me perfectly and ASP looks like a dull spot in the past.

I'm interested how many of you use .NET framework, how do you like it, what are it's pros and cons, and anything that comes accross your mind related to it?
I'm using PHP/MySQL combination for now, but I'm considering move to ASP.NET. I've never even used ASP, so what do you recommend? ASP.NET or NOT ASP.NET? Or maybe to start with ASP?

Hi!

If you haven't tried ASP.NET, I'd strongly recommend you get yourself a copy of the Visual Web Developer 2008 and the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition from the Microsoft website. It enables you to build web applications quickly and more efficiently when compared to PHP. The availability of ASP.NET developers and the development cost is a huge plus in Asia. The drag-and-drop interface in the IDE makes it easy to train staff too. Imagine adding validators to a textbox with a simple drag-and-drop! The AJAX functionality is a breeze, with the Microsoft AJAX Extensions to ASP.NET (included as a part of ASP.NET 3.5). There's also the Microsoft AJAX Control Toolkit that provides you with easy-to-use Javascript snippets.

ASP.NET also keeps your code well-structured (so does PHP, if you use a framework such as CakePHP!). Building web services is a no-brainer with the ASP.NET framework.

Hosting your application with ASP.NET simply requires you to have a copy of Windows (a server edition of Windows is recommended) as IIS is included. Administration of IIS is simple enough, as you are presented with the graphical user interface (GUI) to make changes.

On the downside, when developing Internet applications (as opposed to Intranet applications), you would want to have greater control over how your markup is generated. You would want to streamline your applications such that there is less data passing between the web server and the browser. In this case, you're better off working with PHP, since it would take you quite a bit of effort to achieve the output with the desired markup.

Regards,
Nitin

Hi!

I've got some clarifications to make here:

unlike PHP does not have IDE, so if develop big and complex appication, it may take much time to finishbecause many thing that we have do manually.

PHP has a couple of popular IDEs, but you probably aren't aware of them yet. EclipsePHP is free and easy to use if you are familiar with any of the other Eclipse-based IDEs. We also have commercial IDEs such as NuSphere PhpED and the Zend Studio extension for Eclipse.

And i know that many big companys use ASP.net. its would be benefit of using ASP.Net so big company use it.

ASP.NET is used by firms to power their intranet portals but they're slowly moving to Sharepoint with a couple of 'ASP.NET widgets' called web-parts. However, for Internet applications, you're more likely to see PHP. FaceBook, Yahoo, Flickr and Wikipedia run PHP. Orkut runs ASP.NET. Google uses Python. You can take just about any major technology and you'll be able to name a couple of big players using the technology. The point is, if you're able to justify the use of a technology, it'll work for you.

Regards,
Nitin R.