xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Goosestaf

Advertisements Are Getting "dumb-er" Advertisement I noticed...

society is offically dead. . . .
when adverts like this are devised to get people to click. . . .we know something is wrong. . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/Goosestaf/fart.jpg
(EXAMPLE IMAGE)

adverts like this dum down the internet :rolleyes:

it is a sad state of affares people. . . . .

what other stupid adverts have people found. . . . .
i mean theres the obvious smiley's ones and the ones which pray on people who are new to computers and the internet with warning messages such as "you have tha Virusez!, oh Noez! click here Quikz!". . .

Notice from BH:
When posting an image, please think of others and limit your width by no greater than 640. If you cannot truncate, please use thumbnail service or post just the URL.

(edit - i apologise, i will edit images to 640 width or below in the future)
Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Yeah.. I believe, Advertisements should give clear idea of what they are dealing with so that only interested people click on it. Making dumb notes like that is totally unprofessional.

There are a couple that really annoy me.

The one that says

"Your computer clock may be showing the wrong time!"

and...

"You have 1 message waiting for you."

I know these sometimes, (or used to) appear on Xisto, but they are just lame.

Then there is the one showing on this page right now...

A bouncing banner that says...

"You have won our hourly prize. Click the OK button to claim it before time runs out."

Edited by Avalon (see edit history)

Seeing them is bad enough, but its even worse when your parents, not knowing what they're doing, click them, really believing that they are the one millionth visitor to the same site for the third time in a row. You come home from school and nothing goes at anything worth calling speed, and upon running an adware removal program/virus scanner, you discover multiple viruses and even more spyware. I can put up with the ads, as long as its not those ones with the bugs crawling around, and as long as no one gets at my laptop and clicks them on it. Viruses = death... well, not really, but they're terrible to try and remove.

I realize what you are saying. When I first got my internet there were a lot more advertisments that told you what they were about, were not links to scams, and were not completely stupid. Now on pretty much any site that does not have Adsence and other ad programs that actually give you ads that serve a purpose you get a bunch of pointless messages in front of you. I think ads should go back to the way they were.

Ha ha ha... that's by far the most... unique advert that I've ever seen! I'd click it just to see what'd happen; probably links you to some sort of Beano or some other anti-farting supplement. These days consumers are harder and harder to attract using adverts, simply because the majority of us think that they're just downright annoying and what nothing to do with them. Therefore marketing companies use these kinds of strategies to attract people; you can't say that you wouldn't click it just out of curiousity!

I hate the kind of ads that pretend to be scanning my pc, then tell me I do have spyware or a virus on my pc. The first time I saw one of those pretending to be scanning, I was worried. Then it said I had Win 2K and was using IE, when I had Win 98 and was using Opera. The ad just read what I told Opera to say if anyone asked. That's when I realized it wasn't scanning my pc, and got over being mad at my firewall, lol.

I've also gotten spams in my email claiming to be from some technical support sounding place that said I had spyware or a virus on my pc in the subject line. Of course, I just deleted them without reading, so I don't know what they were trying to sell.

I read that there are a lot of places that give you software that claims to check your pc for spyware and remove it that are actually installing it instead. So watch out for bugus spyware removal programs. I use Ad Aware and Spybot S&D myself.

Advertisements have always been dumb. They go to desperate limits to gain profit from them when they could just do it the proper way. I don't understand why some sites have you click on an advertisement enter it. (I can understand if you're downloading a file) But, if advertisements really have gotten "dumb-er", then expect them to get even worse in the near future.

Internet ads are annoying, especially the popups that keep returning after you've closed them a million times. A TV ad that I'm really looking forward to though is Honda's Civic...Instead of a normal TV ad, they have gathered a choir of 60 people to immitate the sounds of the Civic: winshield wipers, the car driving on different surfaces, the windows rolling down, etc. It's truly amazing, and I think it's a great ad.

Here's the link to watch the commercial and the video on how it was made.

Whoa... that's pretty neat. God, one wonders how long it takes them to create a commercial like that, not to mention how much it would cost. I'm sure people who imitate the sounds of windshield wipers and rain don't come cheap!

Whoa... that's pretty neat. God, one wonders how long it takes them to create a commercial like that, not to mention how much it would cost. I'm sure people who imitate the sounds of windshield wipers and rain don't come cheap!

I believe it took around 6 months for them to do all of that! Well worth it, in my opinion.