xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Goosestaf

Optimus Oled Keyboard a keyboard revolution

i did a search and foudn a couple psots, but no thread, so thought i would go ahead, as not many people seem to be aware of this.

its bassicly a keyboard, but Every single key is an OLED screen (Organic Light-Emitting Diode), and can be changed to differernt presets and CUSTOMIZED by the user!

And as these screens are colour they can display images and such for what ever keys you wanted. . .

Now. . .you may be wodnering. . .sure it sounds kool, but why is it revolutionary?

well for this simple reason. You can have presets to change for differernt programs or games you are using. . . so in photoshop you could set certain keys to be a short cut for blurring. . or burning or to create a new layer. . .what ever really. . .and as an SDK will be released too, you will have total control.

Also. . .its OS-independant. . .meaning if u plug it into a mac. . you will have the mac relevant keys and vice-versa for pc.

Also works for differernt languages + Alphabets too :rolleyes:

and in the far left, you have 10 customizeable program selections, so you can open the set program, or jsut switch between open ones.

also. . .it looks bad **bottom** too.. . . :)

Posted Image

(set for Quake game)

Posted Image

Go HERE for the projects homepage for more information and more/ Higher-Def images.

The product is due to be sold in the summe 0f 06, and will be priced around $200 (do not take that as fact)

It certainly is a great idea, having a keyboard that can change depending on what program you are using. I often have trouble remembering the controls for certain games, and this would make it a lot easier! I have seen before that you can buy keyboards especially made for certain programs, like Photoshop, with special buttons, but of course these are set for only one program, and can make 'normal' computing harder. Can't wait til it hits Britain :rolleyes:

I think this is just a prototype, maybe even just a design on paper which has been rendered and there doesn't seem to be, or at least I haven't seen, any information about it going into production.I hope this thing does go into production soon (they say it will be produced in 2006 but they don't say when). It would be a brilliant keyboard and I can definately see a market for it. Although I bet it would be pretty expensive. 'It will cost less than a good mobile phone.' being what they said on the website and if it's one of these new fangled mobiles then I'm guessing anything from ?150 to ?250. So make sure you don't spill your drinks and food onto it when your on the puter. In fact don't eat near it at all.

Edited by selim (see edit history)

OMG!! That looks so cool. At first I was like... Oh just another mac type design expensive keyboard. Then I saw the first images on the keyboard and I was like well it looks cool, until I saw the quake configuration that I realized that the keys could be replaced by anything. I really see a huge international market for this, just imagine this, the manufacturers of notebooks and keyboards wont have to make a whole bunch of different versions of keyboards. They can just display the key it can be and anyone will be able to customize their keyboard however they wish. I can also see a huge market on audio and video programs where shortcuts are at your fingertips, imagine replacind the numpad when not in use with a whole bunch of shortcuts to photoshop or something, although you already can, but it would be nice to see the images there, it would especially be good for newbies.

Just so you know, this has already been discussed here. As I've said, it looks like an excellent design, and even if the OLEDs burn out, thanks to the basic keyboard configuration layout, one would still be able to remember what buttons are what (as long as it is set to the normal keyboard configuration).

That keyboard looks fantastic. I really like the idea of being able to customize the keyboard because sometimes I just find that some keyboard configurations aren't that great and I'm always thinking to myself if only I could change that. It's quite pricey and LED's will eventually stop working. If it wasn't for that I would likely buy one myself.

This is going to be really expensive. Having a seperate oled in each key may sound cool, but it's pricey. Its good if you are a bilinguist and you need this. The chinese and japanese would love this idea. If you look around the site, it says:

The keyboard is in production. The first lot is set to arrive on May 15.

Retail price of Optimus mini three is US$100 (subject to change after April 2).

And the optimus mini three is this:

Posted Image

Yeah, so expect this thing to be in the 2,000 dollar range...

Edited by psychiccyberfreak (see edit history)

Just so you know, this has already been discussed here

like i said i found that thread and the posts, but this easily deserved its own thread, as you would only stumble across the above thread if you were reading it or searching for the keyboard.

i'm sure they will sell replacement OLEDs when goes into production?

Is it out yet?? I dont think anyone would buy it if it costs $2,000 dollars. For that kind of money I would rather buy a multitouch screen like the Lemus. Maybe it would be cheaper if they used digital ink instead of an oled in every key. $200 is still too much for a keyboard, I would rather use stickers.