xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Add-on Domain Change Of Server Coming to the Trap17 near you...

A friend recently bought a Domain name through Yahoo (Thanks for everyone's assistance on that Topic) and now wants to Add-on the Domain to my Account here at the Trap as a subdomain. When I went to add the domain, it all went well, but now I have a question.Is there anything that needs to be done at the other end? (ie: at the domain registrant? (in this case, Yahoo!)) Or does adding it here as an Add-on Domain take care of everything? I can't seem to find anywhere at Yahoo to change Domain Name Servers. Perhaps someone here has run into this before?Thanks for your help...

You need to associate Yahoo's domain name with your add-on domain. So, let's say you created addon.jlhaslip.trap17. Access Yahoo's domain control, domain control panel > forward domain > create forward and enter addon.jlhaslip.trap17. And that's it. You're done.Under your public_html you will see a folder named "addon" Your friend can treat that folder like his/her own public_html and start uploading index and other folders within "addon" folder.

Yup, got that part figured. I guess what I'd like to know is if the 'domain.com' can be set to point to the 'sub-domain . jlhaslip . Xisto . com' by specifying the Trap's Domain Name Server information at the point of Registration. Yahoo! redirects inside a Frameset and I have been led to believe that it isn't good because of the Bots not being able to Index the pages and also the inability of clients to Bookmark the individual pages inside the site (except the Index page). Or do those restrictions apply on the Yahoo! Frameset re-directs? I would like the site to be found by Search Engines using the contents of the individual site page's Meta-tag keywords, and page content, of course. Not just the 'domain.com' name.

I see what you're saying. As far as I know, if you tie another domain name to your Xisto hosting--thus having two domain names in one hosting account--when the new purchased domain name is called it will show your current home page. So, you are right you cannot have two domain names in one hosting showing two different index page (Xisto's hosting manager disallows that). As far as other concerns goes: the page can be cached for search and all other goodies except the bookmarked address will show addon.jlhaslip.trap17.com rather than NewDomainName.com and all other pages afterwards. And consequently, so will the cached search pages. This is one of the reasons why a hosting service costs more than a domain name. Having an individual hosting service is preferred by domain owners instead of sharing.