xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Can't Configure My Router With Aol

I bought a DLink-524 wireless router, because I am getting another computer and a laptop and I wanted to share the network. I am running AOL with Broadband DSL which I have had for some time with no problems. Here is the setups (Like I said I am new to routers) DSL modem > Router > Computer (As the manual said). There is an ip to connect to to configure the router. I can get there no problem, and configure it (pppoe). But it doesn't connect. It seems that the only way I can connect to the internet is directly from the modem to my computer. Am I missing something here? All the cables and lines work, and I am up-to-date with my Firmware. I read somewhere that AOL doesn't like MTU above 1400, so it's set at 1400 (no Idea what it is). Anyone have any idea of what I can do here? I would gladly provide any/all further information about my computer to see how to do this. (Another NOTE: This is only the server computer, I haven't even begun the 'wireless' aspect of it yet)

1) Are your DSL Internet drivers installed on the computer trying to access the internet via wireless?2) What DSL modem do you have?, and is that configured to allow your Router (IP: 192.168.0.1) to be connected.3) Have you tried just shuting everything down and then restarting in this order (Modem>Router>Computer).Can you connect to the network, and not to the internet OR Can't you connect to anything at all?

MTU is Maximum Transmition Unit (if I'm not mistaken) and it represents maximum size, of one packet that is sent and received from and to your computer... Setting it to low, or too high, can affect speed of your internet.I really don't like wireless LAN's, and don't have much experience with them, but I will try and help you. If I understood correctly, your router is a wireless device, and your home pc, and laptop will connect to it, via wireless. So, you should check your router settings. See if there is MAC address restriction enabled, or some form of IP packet filtering turned on. Also, check to see the status of DHCP server, if there is one included in the DLink router. There are many things to check and cover, and it is very broad subject to cover in this topic.Detailed specs of what you have would be most helpfull. If you have a server computer, why not use it as a router, why have separate device? That's the way I've done it in my company, one router/gateway/firewall computer, that is between the internet, and our LAN. Gateway is running on Linux (naturally :rolleyes:)When you give me some further details, I'll help with what I can...

Whatever computer you used to connect to the internet with and enable account, you may need to have the router clone that computer's Media Access Controller (MAC) ID. I had the same problem with my regular high-speed cable account because I used my tower to enable the account before I connected the router.

DLink Routers will come with DCHP Server enabled by default i do believe, also with an IP Range. My suggestion would also be to check to make sure your automatcially getting an IP. Done via Start>>My Network Places>>View Network Connections>>"From here you should see the wireless connection, double click it.">> Double Click TCP/IP Protocol, and make sure it is all automatic.

It might be simple but check that the cable between the DSL modem and the router is connected specifically to the WAN port on the router.

Ok for one you NEVER want to clone your mac. Useless unless you have a "sticky IP" dynamic and static ip's are always subject to change. When your IP changes the router is stuck to the clone without option to refresh. I am not that familiar with DSL junk because its just too slow. However I do know that AT&T was requiring a purchase of there routers at one time and no other would work in this area. You can request for a few extra dollars a month a "sticky IP" from your ISP then your good for cloning the mac. Now the basic deal is the router needs to assume the DNS IP of your modem. If it does not assume the IP the ISP server or CMTS will reject its ping. You can try powering down both the modem and the router then power up the modem let it sync up. Then while they are connected power up the router. Try connectivity if none keep rebooting the router at least 3 more times trying to connect. If no success call your ISP or router manufacture for further support.-reply by cabletech

aol and routersCan't Configure My Router With Aol

AOL is just some crappy greedy company just like microsoft , make it as difficult as possible to resolve a problem, wanna charge you just to get tech help with there BUGGY intrusive software nothing like spending 3 hours on the phone trying to resolve a intrusion issue (aol software blocking access to router and internet explore .) they do that because they cant compete legitimately so they gotta find anyway to keep people locked into them

what does account information have to do with  asking a question about their software 

(wont help you unless you give them account info )

-reply by matt