xisto Community
beeseven

New, Earth-like Planet Found

Hmmm. They might look into this planet for an escape for when the sun reaches the nova point. It's in evitable. You know. They could build one of those dome thingies that they stuck some people in for four years, or build an undergroun community, but then comes the problem of where to put the animals or the water. But it is definitly something to look into.

Edited by Mermaid711 (see edit history)

Did you even pay attention? It has been said twice in this thread already that the planet is 5.5 times the size of Earth. Now, if you have gotten past third grade, you should know that "times the size" means it's LARGER, as in BIGGER, as in NOT SMALL. Just because it's the smallest planet found outside our solar system doesn't mean the planet is small.I don't know what decade you are from, but here in the early 21st century, scientists have found over 100 extrasolar planets, the first having been found in 1995. Read more here. Furthermore, scientists can see the stars VERY well. Those gigantic orbital telescopes and massive Earth-based mirrors aren't just for show.

That's the best sarcastic post I've seen for quite a while man! I love it! Though Haslip's subtle hint on longer more meaningful posts was good too...

Yes, this semi-advanced planet of ape-like animals has figured out how to launch large hunks of glass and electronic controllers into orbit around the Earth and many of these gadgets have been tasked to find nearby planetary bodies. Unfortunately, we're still not to the level yet that these ingenious devises can detect bodies as small as the ball of mud we live on, they're getting smaller all the time. They've still got a lot of progress to be made, though. Oh, and 28k light years is really really really close to Sol, in the grand scheme of things. Like spitting distance compared to a planet on the other side of Andromeda...

OK I read posts in this topic and found several mistakes in them firstly it is called planet so its surface temperature is less then surface temperature on the earth then its sun is smaller providing that it produces less heat and as the planet is far its temperatures might be equivalent to the Neptune and so on. Then again it is larger then the earth so its gravity is larger != fun. As one guy wrote less gravity = funI would like to point also several other things which are commonly known among the scientist and I don't know why are they putting such stupid news inn the news reports. Because some of them state that on the planets surface there is like water but anyone studing either physics or chemistry will know that this is find by using method called spectroscopy and if sun rays travel trough water vapor anywhere from that planet till this ours earth and they pass trough water vapor we can think that there is water vapor on that planet. It is just absurd thing to think. And if there is life in the universe it can be on any planet not just on our earth or earth like planet as it will probably be different then our life and we might even have some problems percieveing it.

Interesting, I wonder if by the time we ever get there it will already have animals or civilizations developing in it. This is really cool news I can definitely see humanity travelling and expanding to other planets just like they did with the Americas.

Wow that is really instresting another planted that has similar traits like us i wonder how long it took to make that planet? Now that makes me wonder if that planet is still in the development change and in the near future become another earth. That might be telling us that the earth that we are on now is going to be gone but we never know only the future will tell.

Wow that is really instresting another planted that has similar traits like us i wonder how long it took to make that planet? Now that makes me wonder if that planet is still in the development change and in the near future become another earth. That might be telling us that the earth that we are on now is going to be gone but we never know only the future will tell.

Planet is rock so in your sense it is already formed. And I think that it has potential of becoming another earth but so are many other planets in the milky way just because it is so huge and this planet is less similar to the earth then some other planets we have already found I just don;t know why is it making so much fuzz about it in the news reports and so on.

Also if you consider it is significantly colder then earth and is bigger then earth it self like 5.5 times which would influence our bodies to large extent if you consider that gravity would be 5.5 times larger approximately of course.

People who would live there for lnger periods of time would develop the stronger bone structure and would in fact be probably lower like dwarfs :unsure:

OMG, some of the crap and stupid things people have come up with in this post. Smaller? Less gravity? Spectroscopy results being altered by other planets water vapor?! (What you don't think they think of things like that. Not to mention, how many planets do you know of that have water on them that nobody else knows about?) I just love how people say, great! When can we move in? Now that humans have crapped in their own bed, they want somewhere else to live. This isn't about finding a new home for humans or terraforming Mars. It's a search for life not somewhere for humans to live and destroy all over again.The thing that I always have to laugh about most is - what happens when they do find life? And I don't necessarily mean 'intelligent life', just life full stop. I will thoroughly enjoy the rants that will be inevitable with religious types. I can only hope that when they do maybe it will be enough of a kick in the butt to the human race to have a little more unity instead of retardedly killing each other over pathetic reasons like religion or what piece of dirt Joe Blow lives on.

it is called planet so its surface temperature is less then surface temperature on the earth

I thought Mercury was a planet? It has surface temperatures from 90K to 700K. The high temperature definitely isn't less than the surface temperature on this rock!

I will thoroughly enjoy the rants that will be inevitable with religious types. I can only hope that when they do maybe it will be enough of a kick in the butt to the human race to have a little more unity instead of retardedly killing each other over pathetic reasons like religion or what piece of dirt Joe Blow lives on.

Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around? Silly monkeys with thumbs forge blades to kill his brother over pieces of the ground.

God just forgot to include these other planets and forms of life in the universe in the Bible. But you know what they say, he's not infallible. :unsure:

Spectroscopy results being altered by other planets water vapor?! (What you don't think they think of things like that. Not to mention, how many planets do you know of that have water on them that nobody else knows about?) I just love how people say, great! When can we move in?

I said water vapor and not water vapor from some other planet and this is really feasible. We haven't even confirmed that there is water on the sattelite Europe because we cannot prove it yet without hard proof. And if you know something about spectroscopy you will see what I am talking about.

I thought Mercury was a planet? It has surface temperatures from 90K to 700K. The high temperature definitely isn't less than the surface temperature on this rock!

And its temperature is less then that of the planet earth and by that emidiatelly we would have problems with adopting. And it was all about how this planet was earth like I was just explaining how it is not.

and if you think that Mercury is earth like planet then you have some problem. Because earth like planet would be such planet we could live on without any special equipment or any earth transformation. And furthermore if you watch star trek it is M planet class.

I read in the paper that the planet's gravity is roughly 1.5 times that of earth. It also mentioned how the seasons are extremely short. I can't remember if it's 4 "seasons" in 13 days, or each season is 13 days long.Eitherway, it is really far away, and significantly different; I wouldn't want to go there.