xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lozbo

Ie5 Mac Does Not See My Site It shows the body bg image only...

Remember that site layout I was hacking down for IE? Which by the way I didnt really like, but it was the customer's design... and yes, he is not a graphic designer hehe...

Anyway I was really surprised that I got to the solution and fixed it... but as I'm testing between browsers, I come to see that Internet Explorer in Mac does not show nothing of my page, yet the source code is there, if you click command + e in order to see the html source code, its all there! But all I can see from the page itself is the body background-image...

I tried removing the doctype and the xmlns attribute from the html tag and still didnt work... does some one know what is it? Every other browser works just fine, well I have not yet checked in Netscape but Ill do so right now...

Thanks the site is:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Have you tried it without any styles? If it works, you know it's something wrong with your stylesheet.By the way, site shows up in IE5.01 & IE5.5 Windows but it's got some serious problems in both. And in Firefox you've got problems with content moving around when you hover over it.

Thanks tyssen! Can you be more specific with that problem in firefox? I did something on purpose in the Menu, but its does not move THAT much, at least for me hehe, and one question, do you have those browsers installed on your pc or do you emulate them? (if you do have them installed where can i get them?)I'll try removing the style sheet... thanx

Your Inicio menu moves vertically when you hover over it. The word 'Inicio' moves too when you hover over it (looks like increased letter spacing). I'm generally not a fan of elements changing colour on rollover if they're not links (except for form elements).
As for the browsers:
http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit
and how to set them up right:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/multiIE.html

Alright! Thanks, yes that Inicio menu is not actually suposed to be moving i think i can quickly fix that i think i know just how to do so... But the thing with this menu is to display something on rollover, this time it moves becouse of the border-top. And for that thing you say it changes the letter-spacing, I dont have any rule for that on the menu, but i have a #currentpage, which gives a font weight of bold...I will be testing on it, as it only shows for firefox or other good browsers, and im pretty much sure the customer does not even know about it hehe so...Thanks for that link, and about the word 'inicio' it doesnt move on my firefox (either mac nor pc). I dont know what happened, i just went and checked this same page in another ie mac and it was perfectly showing (and it does show the page when i remove the stylesheet).I think its a problem of my IE on this mac. It was something weird i remember, when i downloaded it... I'll reinstall it (although every other page i visited seems to be alright).I'll take a look with those older browsers... do you know what could be happening? As far as im concerned I did everything just right, using that IE only css hack...

I'll take a look with those older browsers... do you know what could be happening? As far as im concerned I did everything just right, using that IE only css hack...

IE5 browsers implement a different box model from IE6 in standards mode. You also need to apply text-align: center to the containing element to get the site to centre (you have to set it back to left on a descendant element).

Lozbo,I copied the css and source to my iMac running IE5 and the page content shows up if you remove this line from the css:

* html		{height: 100%;overflow:hidden;}

It might not solve all the quirks you are fighting, but at least I get some formatted text out of it. Of course, I didn't go so far as to download that opaque background which is all I saw when I went to your site, just like you, but it is a start. Unless that hack is in there for another Browser???The roll-over on the right-hand menu fails unless the display is scrolled up just a couple of pixels. I've never seen that before, so I can't help much on it. I do have javascript enabled. Noticed that the last two links are js.That Black box on the lower right is a mystery, too. Can't seem to find it in the code anywhere.(?) Do you see it? It doesn't scroll with the display, either.Good Luck with it.Might be the footer is displaying full width instead of stopping at the same location as the Main content.

#footer				{position:fixed;bottom:0;text-align:center;clear:both;height:1em;  *   background-color:black;   *   color:white;   *   width:100%;   *   padding:.5em;font-size:95%;}

And because it is partially covering the Menu, the on-hover doesn't work??? Who knows...

Thanx for the info Tyssen! I kinda remember I saw something about that, something like that ware my early tryings to center a div through CSS only (without the align attribute), but then I got to know "margin:0 auto" hehe.And jlhaslip also thanx for your recommendations, Im not at job right now but Ill try that tomorrow as soon as i get there (hiding that rule for IE Mac) and see what happens. Yes I think i know how to deal with that trouble, the menu going down on hovering, but I'm not worried much about it, the worse thing I could do is drop that ol:hover rule, which sets a border top and a border bottom.That black box you are talking about, I dont know which is it... Unless you refer to the footer, and it is fixed so it wont scroll nor move, it is on purpose... but tell me what browser are you using (when you say that you see a black box on the lower right) ?The footer is meant to be full width and not to stop at the same location as the Main content, as it was also meant to be (and in fact IS) the header, the only thing is that the header has an image as a background, and because of the image itself, I can not set it to repeat through the x axis. And I don't know also what you meant with that the on-hover doesn't work...And yeah, there are some links with "javascript:;" as their href, but they do nothing... its just a dummy link, because instead of using "#" to set a link (for testing purposes...) I used this js sentence, which obviously does nothing... I saw this on a tutorial on a list apart I think, and the reason for this was to avoid getting back to the top of the page (whenever you are in the middle, horizontally) when you click an anchor which has javascript behaviours, so this way you'll stay where you clicked the link and then the popup appears, or whichever action was designated to execute... I hope you understand me, This has nothing to do with the css trouble but guess you'd like to know...And thanks, Ill try out your suggestions tomorrow...

The exact same machine that is bothering you. IE5 Mac. And it is a different Browser than IE5Windows, so if you fix it for one, the other will act up. I played with it some more, but couldn't get the footer to stick on the viewport. It wants to go down to the bottom of the page.The jumping menu is from the padding and margins being different between the onhover and onmouseout states. If you use the same padding and margins for <a> and <a:hover>, it doesn't happen. I got it looking great in FF and Opera, but ie5 Mac and IE5Windows isn't even close. The top banner moves on scroll and the footer drops down to the bootom of page. I don't know how you are going to fix this. I couldn't find a Hack for it. Maybe you can. Let us know if you do... since I use the same Browser on one of my home machines, I might need it.

I'm generally not a fan of elements changing colour on rollover if they're not links (except for form elements).

223860[/snapback]

About this Tyssen, I am a big fan of it, I hate that IE doesnt know the hover pseudo element but in an anchor. This is the way those list and sublist menus work in the good browsers right?

As for the browsers:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

and how to set them up right:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/multiIE.html

223860[/snapback]

And is it normal that the installers are 80 MB? The installers for IE 501 and 55...

And as for what you say jhaslip I have not reviewed those issues, Im just about to install these browsers, but Im kinda afraid of doing so hehe. Anyway I checked the stats for the site, with google analytics and found this:

Internet Explorer 6 has the 95% of the people who uses IE.

5.01 has 3.29% and 5.5 has 0.72%, and it goes down from there, so I'm not THAT worried about those browsers, but Ill try to fix them.

The stats are from November 19 to January 24, with a total of 372,428 visits since then. IE (all versions) has over 95 %, and firefox only 2.82%. The next one is Safari with .51...

I still can't see my page on IE5Mac... wait, I thought that this hack was supposed to HIDE the rule from IE Mac... But its not doing it!

/* Fix IE5. Hide from IE Mac \*/

* html {...rules...}

/* End Fix */

I read that the \ was an escaping character for Mac, and for that, the "end comment tag" was ignored by IE Mac, so it thinks that the everything 'till the next */... and the rule * html and whatevers next, is ignored by all good browsers but IE, because IE thinks that there is another element surrounding the html tag (but as we know, html is the ROOT tag so there is no other element before...)

Well i think those hacks I have been using are not at work hehe.. mmm does any one know something about this? or a real hack for IE Mac?

BTW: I know see that black box on the lower right... i think it is suposed to be the footer but... dont know how to fix it hehe

Thanks guys!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as reported.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

About this Tyssen, I am a big fan of it, I hate that IE doesnt know the hover pseudo element but in an anchor. This is the way those list and sublist menus work in the good browsers right?

And is it normal that the installers are 80 MB? The installers for IE 501 and 55...

Menu items are links. I said I'm not a fan of it on things that aren't links, e.g., you've got it on your heading. Most people know that links change colour when you roll over them, so they come to your header and it changes colour and think it must be a link too, but it doesn't.

As for the installers, are you looking at Windows or Mac installers cos I'm sure the Windows ones weren't that big.

As for the Mac-only hack, does your site work if you take them out?

I meant about the menu items that have a sub menu, and in fact is a sublist, they not necesarly need to be a link because the css :hover works from the li itself, and not the anchor (you dont need it at all):li:hover ul {display: block;}That was what i was talking about when I said that this is the way those lists and sublists work in good browsers.Those thing changing color on hover only works for good browsers, and I am sure that if some one is seeing this behaviours is because he is using a good browser, and must have already know this kind of things from sites that worry about them, like an 'extra' for non IE browsers. Ans as i am sure, most of the users (id say, more than ninety percent) won't be able to see this so they won't even notice...The installers were for windows, and i was not successful in the installation, it gave me weird errors...I have not tried that out, I'll take this hacks out.. but you know what I'm talking about right? That thing i think its called the 'holly hack' because it targeted only IE and left all browsers alone so we dont have to fix it again and again... It IS suposed to do that right?