xisto Community
OpaQue

Credit System For 2.1.4 Update :)

Hi Team and Members,

I am trying my best to complete the Credit System for Invision version 2.1.4. Managing Xisto - Web Hosting and especially looking after the servers is very much time consuming.

Why is it taking soo much time, When you had it ready for 2.0.X?

The update is taking a lot of time because 2.1.X has a totally new framework. There are new classes and the old codes don't match in their regular position.

Secondly, I usually use Structured approach rather than Object Oriented. Even though, things worked best previously, they are getting complicated as we are moving ahead adding more features. Therefore, I am forced to re-write the entire mod again with new Object oriented approach.

Third reason which delayed things further is the new critical patch update released by Invision. When I started my work, I had 2.1.3.  Then, the update / patch which invision released said, it fixed major Security Holes. I restarted my work using this new version. Even though this part wasen't soo hard. Since, codes were almost the same.

My main objective to start this topic was to let members know the progress of the script. Please forgive me for the slow progress, because I have to do a lot of testing before I finalize every feature. The credit system is directly linked with the Hosting server and any mistake which deals with credits might directly result in your account loss. I have to verify each condition and with each member status to make sure things are stable.

PROGRESS

=======

Credit System timer algorithm. [-Rewritten completely from scratch with slightly diffrent set of rules -]

Lofi version pages and their formatting.

URL friendly links.

Updating credits on new post.

EDITING FEATURE ENABLED. (Staff Members! Enjoy your full time on your evil work, no more requests for editing posts.. !)

Editing a post recalculates the credits and adjusts the post accordingly.

A Fast Reply and Merge post will also give credits rather than ignoring the tiny amount. -> 1/27/2006

Credits adjust properly even for a post which has been merged. -> 1/27/2006

MODERATOR Function : Delete post function re-written. -> 1/29/2006

MODERATOR Function : Deleting a topic will restore the credits of all members and the topic starter(spammer) will be fined double the credits earned! [i wasted 4 hours on a silly mistake in code.. I won't forget this code] -> 1/29/2006

Finalized Similar topic hack. All tables ready! -> 1/30/2006

Keep checking for new updates.. You can update this topic for any useful suggestion :(

Sounds cool, take your time though. We all know you are busy running the Xisto Corporation. I don't mind using these forums at the moment anyway. If you need any help with anything let me know, not coding wise though (not the greatest lol). Thanks for the update.

What king of rules are we expecting for the new timer algorythm? Also, are we able to have an easier time reading scale... EG) Days, Hours, Minutes

EDITING FEATURE ENABLED. (Staff Members! Enjoy your full time on your evil work, no more requests for editing posts.. !)

Editing a post recalculates the credits and adjusts the post accordingly.

Keep checking for new updates.. You can update this topic for any useful suggestion :(

223812[/snapback]

Yay! We're going to have the editing system back! It seemed to me a nightmare having to constantly ask Moderators for Edits. Besides, we only lost it because 10% of our members were being... how should I put it? ...stupid. I for one breathe a sigh of relief over this news.

But I also wonder why this could not be done sooner. But I am aware of the complexity of such a system and the time it'd take to configure, so I feel that I probably already know the answer to this and will not ask the question. (Well, I used to be an admin too, in two other forums, so of course I'd know)

Hey this sounds great. I like that you are always trying to improve the forums to make them better for us. I am glad that the editng feature is coming back. I really hope that people do not take advantage of it. There have been a few select times that even though I read my post before clicking go I mispelled things or accidentally hit go by hitting the return key. I am wondering about the hosting credits calculator. I have noticed that the calculator has been more fair than it used to be. I remember when I first started here that the first 10 credits were fast and easy to get and anything above that got harder and harder to up. Now it seems to be much more evenly distributed. Yers the first 10 seem to be fairly easy to get but it does not take nearly as long to get them higher. Either that or I have learned how to make better posts or something. LOL Anyway I look forward to seeing what the place will look like when you update us. :(

I'm usually quite careful when making my posts, but at times I, too, tend to make a post without checking the spelling or any words that I forgot to put in (or repeated). The edit feature is nice to have, but as long as people can get the general message, then that should be okay with everyone, too.

Looks for good and an impressive job your working on :(.. For that slow progress thats ok because the general thing is to make it very good not fast and not so good :(..

I really like how the system will now adjusts the credits after you edit a post, since every time I edit my posts, it's after adding 50% more content :(

is it possible to have a vacation mode where your account is suspended until you come back?for example, if you have vacation mode on (say for 6 weeks)... your website is not accessible and shows the suspended page. in this case, since your site is not accessible, the credits will stop counting down. Once you put it out of vacation mode, your site is active again and your credits start counting again...

is it possible to have a vacation mode where your account is suspended until you come back?

for example, if you have vacation mode on (say for 6 weeks)... your website is not accessible and shows the suspended page.  in this case, since your site is not accessible, the credits will stop counting down.  Once you put it out of vacation mode, your site is active again and your credits start counting again...

224264[/snapback]

Hmm.... The only problem is members who just forget about us and go away. The credits system keep the things tweeked and the servers are in low load shape. If I put this feature, I am sure the server will have more of junk accounts than genuine ones.

Even if a site does not operate, it still adds up resources and records. The httpd.conf file includes the records and the burden keeps increasing.

Other's comments on this feature are welcome.

I think the idea has merit. What if you were to put a time limit on the duration the site can be suspended? Say, if the site in not unsuspended within 12 weeks then the site is deleted. I know it will still use resources for 12 weeks, but at least it will remove the redundant accounts.Personally I can't see myself needing this feature, but I'm sure there are a few out there that could find it useful.

I like Avalons idea. Although I won't really need it it atleast saves them some time of having to get their account back up or even request for hosting again. Maybe put up a forum in the Free Web Hosting section where they have to maybe apply to have an account suspended or just have them post how long they will be away, and why. You can suspend their account for that many days and if they still are gone after the set amount of days they will then start to lose credits. So if I tell you guys I am leaving for Texas for 12 days, you suspend my account for those 12 days. On that 13th day it is unsuspended and I start to lose credits for each day I don't come back.

It's a shame that you've got to completely re-write the code for the new invision version although if it fixes a blatant vulnerability, then in the long run it will be worth doing so.On the other side of things, however, it's nice to hear that you've managed to code a way to have the editing feature active without completely messing up the credit system. This will certainly save the hassle of having to use the report button and explaining to a staff member what's wrong with the post (why you would like it edited!).Nice post by the way at the start, it's very informative and looks like you've been incredibly busy working on all your sites (not just Xisto!). I can imagine how much hard work it is to maintain all your sites, but also rewrite the credit system so that it can be compatible with the new system.Anyway, You're doing fantasically well with the whole of the Xisto network and its sister sites. Keep up the good work! :(