xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Code For Firefox Compatibility? Is there such..

i swear i have read about it somewhere on here, and ive been searching for such a long time now..but i was just wondering does anyone know/have a link to a code that makes websites compatable for firefox? cuz i need it :-Dthanx!

A couple weeks ago when I was building my site I asked the same thing. I wanted to know why my web site looked perfect in Internet Explorer but completely wierd in Firefox. I decided to experiment around and I finally figured it out. It is sort of common sense once you think about it but if you you valid XHTML to code your document it is fine. It didn't take me that long to put it into XHTML. I put in all the /'s to make <br> <br /> and what not and it eventually worked. If you use the validator found at http://validator.w3.org/ it will tell you exactly what is wrong with your code. Just make sure to have the Doc Type in there for XHTML Transitional.

It is sort of common sense once you think about it but if you you valid XHTML to code your document it is fine.

It doesn't have to be XHTML. Firefox handles HTML doctypes just as well. And it doesn't even have to be valid. But if you build your site testing in Internet Explorer, you can expect there to be problems when you view it in other browsers (not just Firefox).

Ya it doesn't really have to be valid but it is better if it is. It can be HTML too but you have to be careful what attributes you use and stuff because Firefox sometimes doesn't recognize them or just doesn't use them.

XHTML means EXtended-HTML, a further improved version of HTML standards. So the validator can also validate normal HTML files.I've tried ths validator once and it often resulted in many errors. Even when you test https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl, you'll still find errors there. Practically, I think that no websites are perfect.

I have validated my web page and have seen many others. Once you get the hang of it it becomes easy. You sometimes have to learn alternate uses to do something. Like when I tried putting a table inside a table to align the text to the top of a content box I had to find a different way to do it because it wasn't valid but once I figured it out it was fine.

that tool is a really handy little thing! i might try it and fix some of the problems and see what it does to it, hopefully it will work.. >_< thanks everyone! i still could have sworn there was a code on here that you could put to make it look like it was being viewed in IE but in firefox..edit: I used the tool and fixed most of the problems i came out with 500 and somthing >_< but i fixed most all of them and now it works, i so i guess it was just a matter of closing and openening some of the tags! thanks for your help!!

Notice from Becca:
close. problem was solved.
Notice from jlhaslip:
Re-opened as per Report. The original posting has been resolved, but there may be other information available on the topic.
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

It can be HTML too but you have to be careful what attributes you use and stuff because Firefox sometimes doesn't recognize them or just doesn't use them.

Unless you're talking about Microsoft proprietry code (in which case, all browsers, not just Firefox won't display those attributes correctly), Firefox recognises and uses exactly the 'attributes' as IE.

If we're talking about HTML as laid down in the W3C specifications, then Firefox follows the rendering of those elements closer to the letter than IE does.