xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Johnnymushio

Redirect Script questionnnnnnnnn

how do i redirect ppl from my site if they are using a wrong browser? my site only works on ie, so if a person useing firefox goes to my site they cant see it its all messed up, so i want to redirect them to a page that says to download ie how can i do this????????Johnnymushio

Well, here you go.
Browser redirect script
This is an on-line tool that you use to create the specific code for the purpose of re-directing your page to another URL.
I haven't tried it out, so maybe you could test it and report back with the results.

how do i redirect ppl from my site if they are using a wrong browser? my site only works on ie, so if a person useing firefox goes to my site they cant see it its all messed up, so i want to redirect them to  a page that says to download ie how can i do this????????

Johnnymushio

222669[/snapback]

Given the growing popularity of Firefox, you might want to look at formatting your page so it works properly in both. There are many resources out there that can help you with this. Chances are you can still keep your layout looking the same, you might just need to add some code to accomodate the other browsers.

I would strongly advise getting your site to work in every browser. Normally only the odd one or two extra lines of CSS are needed to get the site looking right.

Quirksmode has quite a comprehensive list of all the various oddities of browsers and ways to fix them. If that fails then just use a search engine.

As Avalon and rvalkass state in their posts, it shouldn't be that difficult to get your site to present itself properly in a variety of browsers.

The generally accepted method is to use Standards Compliant code in your Html and CSS and create your pages using a Standards Compliant Browser (Firefox/mozilla or Opera) to check that it is correct. Then run it through the w3c validator to confirm that it is compliant according to the Document Type Description you declare (you did declare a DTD, didn't you?). This DTD will make a difference because there will be different rules applied based on the DTD specified.

THEN, check the page in IE and apply new CSS (or add the CSS hacks) you might require to force IE to present itself "acceptably". There are differences in Browsers, so not all pages will look the same in all browsers. In fact, I'll guarantee that there will be some differences.

Although there will be differences between Browsers, unless you are performing some leading edge CSS work, the differences will be minor if you follow this procedure. A couple of good sources for Hacks to IE that I find helpful are alistapart dot com, positioniseverything dot com, and the HTML Forum right here at the Xisto is a good place to begin. Post your questions on the html forum and let us have a look at your site. Might be someone over there can lead you along.

some of the scripts on my site are for ie only, such as a anylink dropdown menu, and a message scroller. the message scroller on firefox blends all the messages onto one line one ontop of the other, so you cant even read it, the drop down menu can only be positioned at the left of the page, instead of beneith the button, and my gradient colors completely disapear along with the scroll bar color... i cant make scripts so i dont know how to modify them and that would take too much time.