xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Goosestaf

Help With Subdomains And Dns are Sub-Domains possible with threw the

well, i searched for the forum for an answer specificly for me and didn't find one, so i was wodnering if anyone could help me out with sub-domains.I have a .com domain at 1&1.co.uk, as i saw it advertised/suggested in OpaQue's Signature.so. . .first of all, what is DNS? and is that relelvent to me at all for this?secondly, i can only forward with my domain using the 1&1 control panel, BUT is there a way to edit all that in Xisto's control panel? because at the moment all the pages of the website go under the same domain and if refreshed is hit then it goes to the oringal page, and thats quite ennoying.So is there anyway i can sort that out using Xisto?Thanks in advance to anyone who helps :(

The URL is actually composed of IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.1 but DNS (domain name service) gives you alphabet names to remember those numbers easier. It's similar to alias service.

Think of DNS as a constant address that points to your hosting place. Let's say you want to invite people over to your house and show paintings and such. You first have to give your address--that's Domain name that's been resolved by DNS. And your house is HOSTING place (web storage) and paintings you want to show to people are your webpages.

Xisto is just a hosting service. It has nothing to do with DNS or domain name. Your DNS controls where your purchased domain name should point to (in this case to Xisto).

But I still haven't got the foggiest idea what you are asking when you say

because at the moment all the pages of the website go under the same domain and if refreshed is hit then it goes to the oringal page

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Click any links in the site to go to another page.. . .. even though it is a differernt page the domain does not generate any path of the page or anything. . . .. so if you press refresh it takes you back to the originol page.and with my domain, i can only forward the domain to a page of my choice.Do i need to set somethign in T17 Cpabel so the pages appear in the adress?

that domain is mask-forwarding (or domain cloaking with url forwarding) to a Xisto hosted page. masking the destination address is a technique whereby your domain name is forced to appear in the browser instead of your destination url. hence, when you refresh the page, even if your visitor clicks and lands on your subpages already, it will still refresh to redirect to the original redirection/forwarding page of the domain.

are you sure you can just only do url forwarding for your domain? what you need to do is PARK or ADD-ON your domain in Xisto. if you own that domain, you should be able to control the domain nameservers (and if not, it could be an added paid service via your domain registrar). configure your domain's nameservers in your domain admin control panel. check the Xisto readme for the nameservers to use. after successfully configuring the domain nameservers, go to your Xisto control panel to PARK or ADD-ON that domain.

PARKED versus ADD-ON

parked domains will point to the main domain account. if you own domain.com (or in this case, yoursubdomain.trap17.com), you can park domain.net and domain.org so that if any of the 3 domains are looked up in your browser, the contents of the main domain are shown. emails sent to the .net and the .org are also routed to your existing .com emails.

add-on domains are domains added to your current account but will show a separate website. it will reside in your domain.com/subfolder/ but technically you will have a totally separate website for it. add-on domains share resources like webspace and bandwidth with your main account and they also share the same cPanel.

after successfully changing nameservers and parking/adding your domain, wait for 12-24 hours (at most up to 2 days) for domain propagation. that will resolve your problem. :(

the latter of your message about parked and add-on domains confused me lol, But i went ahead and tried messing around with it, and i didnt see how that would do what i want bassicly.My only option with my domain resgistar is Forwarding domain.I COULD use subdomains on homming to dicectories, but i would need to be hosted with them to do that, and i'm happy enough with T17!Just was bassicly hoping that i could turn off masked domain :(Its really irritating :(

the latter of your message about parked and add-on domains confused me lol, But i went ahead and tried messing around with it, and i didnt see how that would do what i want bassicly.

My only option with my domain resgistar is Forwarding domain.

I COULD use subdomains on homming to dicectories, but i would need to be hosted with them to do that, and i'm happy enough with T17!

Just was bassicly hoping that i could turn off masked domain :(

Its really irritating :(

222640[/snapback]

1and1.co.uk, right? they seem to offer complete DNS management. verify with them again. DNS management is what you need to point your domain nameservers to Xisto. when you do this, and after you park/add-on that domain in your Xisto cpanel, your site will be accessible (main index page, and all subpages) via your very own domain url (instead of just yourdomain.trap17.com) along with the corresponding page url appearing in the browser.

example: let's say you have index.html and page2.html. a visitor gets to your index page, and clicks on page2.html, then it goes to that page and will now appear in your browser as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. in short, your domain is not masked/cloaked anymore. when your site visitor refreshes the page, it will refresh page2.html and not the index.html since page2.html is what is appearing in the browser. from my understanding, this is what you want to achieve.

the parked versus add-on domain comparison is a bit confusing, yes. to make it easier for you, i would assume you have only one domain (heartlesscreations.com). just PARK that domain. :( when you buy another domain, and want it to point to the same website, park that again. but when you buy another domain, and want it to point to another website in your Xisto hosting, then ADD-ONN that domain. :(

example: let's say you have index.html and page2.html. a visitor gets to your index page, and clicks on page2.html, then it goes to that page and will now appear in your browser as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. in short, your domain is not masked/cloaked anymore. when your site visitor refreshes the page, it will refresh page2.html and not the index.html since page2.html is what is appearing in the browser. from my understanding, this is what you want to achieve.

YES! that sounds right! thats what i want!

and yes i can change the DNS, but i'm not 100% what to put it.

I tried to simply put my Xisto web adress. As can be seen in this message:

Posted Image

Any help?

Please familiarize yourself with Xisto README.In there, you'll find that "name server" or nameserver for Xisto are:ns1.trap17.comns2.trap17.comYou will also need to change your domain name from tribunedesign.trap17.com to heartlesscreations.com using the process page--this will cost you 15 credits. NOTE: before you change your domain name, you must unpark and delete all add-on from your cPanel to make this change successful. Once your cPanel reflects the correct domain name and you updated your nameserver, it will take anywhere from 24-72 hours for to propagate. The next time when you type heartlesscreations.com it will be linked with your Xisto hosting service.

so, if i want to do this. . . i have to change the name to heartlesscreations.com ?I am wnating to buy another domain as well, to run off my site too. . .would it be possible to do this with 2 domains. . .i.e. . . the heartlesscreations.com running off one file directoryand another domain running off a differernt file directory?because from what you jsut said it appears i can only do this for one.

you can have as many domains as you can buy, limited only by how many is left available for parking/adding-on in the cpanel (which you can see when you enter your cpanel, and viewing the details provided under "General Account Information" on the left side).

example:

Parked Domains  1 / 9    Addon Domains  0 / 9

that means you have 1 parked domains, and 0 addon domains, out of 9 available for each. that will increase respectively as you park and addon domains.

read again the notes above regarding parked versus add-on domains. and now carefully, so you'll understand it better. :( it is a feature which Xisto.com offers precisely because some members want to host one or more websites (with one or more top-level domain names) in their Xisto hosting space. :(

right. . .well i apprechiate the guidence the mods have given me, but this is proving very confusing.to make it clear what i want, i will firstly state that, then what i've done so far, adn the problemsi want:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ etc etc etci will also want future domains directed to differernt areas of the site to form differernt websites.I have been using Add On domains , as advised above.I'm not sure how to configuer it properly.I have added heartlesscreations.com as a domain, but can forward it to a location on the sever, but then it ignores the heartlesscreations.com domain.and i noticed it created a new section in my ftp, heartless creations and im guessing thats where stuff goes when the ww.heartlesscreations.com domain is not re-directed. BUT when i but files in there, it doesnt pull them up, insted it ignores them and gives the standard CGIbin.folder and nothing else.please some help!Can i even do what i want to do?

I'm still having misunderstand when you say

i will also want future domains directed to differernt areas of the site to form differernt websites.

Does that mean you want another domain (let's say goosestaf.com for our example purposes) to share Xisto's hosting which is current used with heatlesscreatsions.com?

i suggest you read more on the Cpanel Official Documentation:
CPanel Documentation - MAIN

here are the links related to domain management:
Adding Subdomains
Adding Redirects
Adding Add-On Domains
Adding Parked Domains

hope you are able to finally do what you want to do. :) this whole thread covers it all to the best of my knowledge.