xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Run Internet Explorer From Command Prompt Windows Tips

Thank you for this informationRun Internet Explorer From Command Prompt

Brilliant,

Thank you very much for this extremely useful piece of information. 

I use Mozilla for all my web browsing but I have some icons on my desktop that open HTML servers for work. These do not open correctly in Mozilla so for just these I wanted them to open in Internet Explorer and your code does this without me having to either copy the link into the address bar or set IE as my default web page viewer.

Thank you

Craig

can i also close the any web page directly through the cmd Run Internet Explorer From Command Prompt

really, I tried the tricks that u have given about the internet explorer accessing through cmd. And it works. Now can u tell me is it possible to close the google like pages directly from the cmd? if yes then pls guide me. I m anxious for your reply.

-reply by Ravi Kant

Links with &Run Internet Explorer From Command Prompt

Not sure if ye can help but I am trying to open a batch of links that have a & in the link. This is a comman symbol so not sure why this is not handled by the dos prompt.

Here is an example:

Run cmdStart https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http://mail.google.com/mail/?hl%3Den%26tab%3Dwm&scc=1&ltmpl=googlemail&hl=en&emr=1Exit

Thanks for any help,David

explorerRun Internet Explorer From Command Prompt

Clicking is for monkeys. Various programming applications utilize "command line" functionality, including clicking. for instance, when writing a batch file to run every time windows logs on to counter-act the bane of my existence (the reset and locking of the homepage on my computer at work) by telling the command line to switch the registry values to allow homepage manipulation, and then open to a specified page, and then Option ExplicitDim objShellSet objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")ObjShell.Run "iexplore -nohome" Wscript.Sleep 2000objShell.SendKeys "TAB 2"objShell.SendKeys "https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl500objShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"Wscript.Sleep 500 objShell.SendKeys "%{HOME}"wscript.Sleep 2000objShell.Sendkeys "%{F4}"WScript.Quit Yes, sleep too is for monkeys.-maxsquires

-reply by rohit

run internet explorer from Command PromptRun Internet Explorer From Command Prompt

Is it possible to open Google chrome through CMD (command prompt)

(my computer is super-slow with the regular internet browser, so I had to switch)

Replying to Sarith PallewelaBeing able to run your computer without "double-clicking" can greatly improve your performance capabilities :> Also when you work in IT you must know the command line and shortcuts. Also if you can run it on the command line you can create a batch file to do it for you and even schedule the batch to run on whenever you want it to. Good example -->> Create a batch file to delete all of your temporary files, defrag all your partitions, schedule chkdsk, restart the computer, chkdsk, shutdown computer. <<-- all completely automated. Another scenario--> (You'll like this one!) say you go to work and have to open three or four different explorer browsers then navigate each browser to a different site and then open instant messanger. Well, create a batch file, place it on your desktop, and DOUBLE CLICK IT. Boom done. Hopefully this helps further your understanding.

Replying to Sarith PallewelaBeing able to run your computer without "double-clicking" can greatly improve your performance capabilities :> Also when you work in IT you must know the command line and shortcuts. Also if you can run it on the command line you can create a batch file to do it for you and even schedule the batch to run on whenever you want it to. Good example -->> Create a batch file to delete all of your temporary files, defrag all yur partitions, schedule chkdsk, restart the computer, chkdsk, shutdown computer. <<-- all completely automated. Another scenario--> (You'll like this one!) say you go to work and have to open three or four different explorer browsers then navigate each browser to a different site and then open instant messanger. Well, create a batch file, place it on your desktop, and DOUBLE CLICK IT. Boom done. Hopefully this helps further your understanding.

Command Prompt AccessRun Internet Explorer From Command Prompt

Replying to Sarith PallewelaYou are absolutely right about double-clicking. It is the way to go. However, if you are on a computer that has restricted access to the internet browser specified, the command prompt might be the only way to use it. This is because the command prompt is linked to so many programs, it is nearly impossible to block/restrict all access to the command prompt. However, using the command prompt might not always give you access either. You must remember that there might still be an administrator, and they might have entire files/folders blocked/restricted to the user in question.At any rate, I hope this answered your question.

-reply by Zeppelin

I have a problem,instead of the site which I enter after 'e' in command prompt my homepage(google)opens..can anyone tell me what is causing this..

The command prompt is making a comeback ie(PowerShell). There are some things that can be done faster using the command prompt than clicking away. Why take your hand off the keyboard just for a few clicks? This becomes even more true when you learn keyboard shortcuts.
Not to mention the fact that you can now automate the process.

Nice Work finding that out but do you think it's really importan to start IE from CMD? i mean you can always just double-click on an icons! Forgive me if i'm wrong but i mean the Command line era is way gone! Get with it and just Click Away!!
I'm really sorry if i've got you all wrong but the way i see it. It's much easier to just click!

Nice Work finding that out but do you think it's really importan to start IE from CMD? i mean you can always just double-click on an icons! Forgive me if i'm wrong but i mean the Command line era is way gone! Get with it and just Click Away!!
I'm really sorry if i've got you all wrong but the way i see it. It's much easier to just click!

Just because something might not be useful to you personally does not mean it is not useful to someone else. Please consider that we dont all travel along the same route.

I work processing a large number of files that must sometimes be moved or copied to various different directories across different systems and even some that need to be uploaded to different websites, then copied, moved or deleted.

When you have to do this x number of times for x number of files and each depending on x factors, you can begin to appreciate writing BATCH files to automate the whole thing. If part of the process is uploading to a website, hey, opening up the right website at the right moment and PAUSING the batch process until you upload the file and then continue is a BIG BIG help!

This is an excellent tip, even if your computer-use experience is not (and probably will never be) advanced enough to understand how it may be used. The Command Line era is NOT way gone, it has moved ahead, "way" beyond *your* comprehension, thats all.

Cheers!

I love the Batch file work but i played around with your instructions to set Google to launch as a second browser with minor substitutions and thought you might want to add to the text to let readers know this can also be applied to other programs or atleast Chrome on Win XP. My response to the clicker is sometimes you can add just an extra bit of security to your computer by hiding folders or taskbars, eliminating short cuts, creating a slave account for regular use, adding passwords to all and tucking away the administrator for necessary functions because this is only a few that i employ with someone when Screen Sharing using Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, etc. The point for me is to appreciate the sophisticated application or endless abilities that an engineer designed from the inside rather than limiting yourself to hitting buttons on the outside and my experience is limited but if i keep finding simplistic tutorials like this one then i suppose my knowledge will be doubled in no time. Thanks for the post.