xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Peaktao

I "should Of", He "would Of" Increasing trend of bad language

I guess you have noticed that a lot of people using "of" instead of "have" when they speak. For example, "The ref should of sent him off".... "He would of come if you go" etc....Okay...it doesn't sound much different when people speak because these "of"s are hardly be heard. But they are now spread to webboard, chatrooms, and i find this really annoying.Wonder what our language will be like when our kids grow.

I have thought about how much our language is changing too. Why do people start talking differently do they want to be cool or something? I think that people should just talked like they always have so we can understand things written in books and typed on the internet in twenty years because they way people are starting to talk different.

Heh, I'm from Mexico, but the language is pretty much as pitiful. Almost all teens add the word "wey" after every sentence. It used to annoy me a lot until I started talking the same way. Shame for me.

This is happening more and more, especially with extra words being added in the middle of sentences, such as "like" and "yeah". It gets incredibly annoying when you try to speak to someone and every other word they say is entirely irrelevant! It's even more worrying now as my English teacher does it :blink:

English is without a doubt changing. Not necessarily decaying, but rather evolving. It's natural for just about any language to do this. Take a look at Spenser or Shakespeare, some of the most eminent writers when Modern English was coming into use. No one speaks like that anymore. Pronouns have changed ("thou, thy, and thee" to "you, your, and you" respectively) and we've also killed our subjunctive mood in verbs (when was the last time you thought about the differences between may, might, and would?). There have also been many other changes.

As slang takes a firmer grasp and become more commonplace in English as well as other languages, the languages change. The swift evolution in communication technology has sped up the process as well by blending the grammar, syntax, and slang of various languages (Spanish is everywhere in American English, for example).

personally, i could care less about the way english is changing as long as it sounds the way it should, the 'of' doesn't bother me but the 'axe' instead of ask sure does piss me off >_<

The English language has changed a lot in the past 200 years. Even slang is changing. One day gay means happy, and the next it means homosexual. I have to watch what I say wherever I go because the slang changes from county to county.

Dumbeldore:

Hidden Secrets can't be told threw just words.

I axe you, is there anything wrong with this sentance?
Well, basically, I don't really like the way slang is either, but, hey, it's like insomnia in that it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Bad joke.

My opinion: Just don't let it bother you. If you hang around with people who talk slangishly, then you're probably going to talk like them too. In speech I don't care.

I DO care in writing, however. I hate it when I see people write "your a bad person" or "he would of done it but he didn't" in essays... Grrrrr...

I have no problem with people saying 'would of', but when they write it I just see that they are showing a complete disregard of the english language, basically that they cannot be bothered to learn.It is annoying, and I regularly correct people.

Well, I hadn't really noticed the of instead of have, but the thing that drives me crazy that I am hearing all the time now is "Oh look at these ones" or "I want one of these ones" or something to that effect. For a long time i just heard kids saying it, but lately, even adults are spouting it, sounds terrible.